Is the Sith Inquisitor story as bad as people say it is?

AedusWilson

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* snip *

An addendum of sorts to number one and three...

1 ) The Sith Inquisitor does NOT go into power plays per se. With Zash, the Inquisitor is just another peon and her plan ends up backfiring. Up to that point, there was no real plan conceived by the Sith Inquisitor.

Concerning Thanaton, yet again, it is Thanaton that tries to KILL the Sith Inquisitor and the latter is forced to defend itself, killing Thanaton in the process. As a result, the Inquisitor becomes a Darth but yet again, this wasn't exactly planned... IT WAS KILL OR BE KILLED. It wasn't a power play the Inquisitor actually chose to pursue from the get-a-go, a la Baras to overthrow Darth Vengean.

3 ) Claiming that one may leave the killing to the SW is both inaccurate and senseless. The SW has the ability to truly twist a Padawan to its advantage, persuade a full-fledged Jedi Master to kill a Darth, convince two thugs to annihilate one another without raising a finger, forge alliances and truces with Jedi Masters and so on and on... I honestly can't remember the Inquisitor doing that to the same degree.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I'd say its got some of the most character and being quintessentially Sith is very fun. Act I in my opinion is great in all respects, great story, great characters etc. etc. but the story of Act II and III while enjoyable and succinct fails to deliver the whole power-play and deception business promised in the trailer - but it is certainly not boring, definitely worth a go.

I have to disagree about acts 2 and 3 failing to deliver intrigue and deception. Spoiler ahead, do not read if you haven't played the story!

Virtually every action between the inquisitor, Zash and Khem is both those things. You can be lying and manipulating through your teeth. You don't have to, but you certainly can. There are other elements of these, but that whole interaction is primary.

I have to disagree about acts 2 and 3 failing to deliver intrigue and deception. Spoiler ahead, do not read if you haven't played the story!

Virtually every action between the inquisitor, Zash and Khem is both those things. You can be lying and manipulating through your teeth. You don't have to, but you certainly can. There are other elements of these, but that whole interaction is primary.

(contains major spoilers about inquisitor storyarc. Do not read if you haven't played the inq story.)

Claiming it is manipulation requires some sort of goal for it. Not going along and claiming it is scheming without a goal? Also, the 'normal humans' on the planets would have been much easier to manipulate than people like Zash, yet inquisitor makes no effort.

So, please explain why the inquisitor even went for the forcewalking plan AFTER Zash had tried to kill him. Warning bells ringing, anyone? Take advice from this person who just tried to off you?

Assuming she is actually on inquisitors side, next question, why the hell?! Why did Zash even tell inquisitor this jay...forcewalking plan (which she somehow miraculously knows but nobody else does. Granted, she may know it because its a way to prolong life, but still), since it would have probably been in her best interests that inquisitor dies, rather than beats Thanaton? All she had to do was to shut up.

Assuming she thought inquisitor would still be possible to manipulate, see above. Also, a lot of good it did her. Dealing with the KhemZash was admittedly pretty much the only evidence I have about the inquisitor succesfully manipulating someone.

So inquisitor manipulated Ashara? Or is it that Ashara manipulated the inquisitor? Power of love? The only way you can go forward with Ashara is that you accept her plan of manipulating and changing the empire from the inside. This sounds suspiciously much like lightside stuff. Elsewhere in the game there has been text (lie) after a dialog option when it is a lie. They should have used that much more with inquisitors dialog options to make sure we know it is indeed manipulation and not the truth. That inquisitor actually doesn't believe his own words. I DO NOT want to play a lightside inquisitor. The story makes me feel like its being force-fed down my throat. And I am supposed to believe that he actually is just lying and manipulating the NPCs despite no evidence of such.

EDIT: And something I forgot. The stupidest antagonist in the entire game, Darth Thanaton. Issues: he wants to kill the inquisitor, because... I don't know... dramatic tension must be conjured from somewhere? The whole law/rule involving his motive is complete bat guano pulled from a hat just because there needed to be some motive. I consider myself something of a Sith aficionado, and it greatly irks me that this law/rule whatever it was obviously doesn't exist anywhere else in the SW EU and was created for the sole purpose of giving Thanaton some reason to kill the inquisitor.

For some purpose Thanaton made no moves against Zash while Zash was still up and running. It would have made sense for Zash to have her 'apprentice' deal with Thanaton goons, but no. There is a grudge mainly after Zash is out of the picture, how convenient for story purposes. :rolleyes:

In my opinion the inquisitor story is a steaming pile of horse manure. Illogical and badly written. It attempted to make inquisitors story dialog ambiguous, 'lightside-curious', despite that it is often in stark contradiction to his dialog and actions elsewhere in the game, like in planetary quests and flashpoint dialog. Cave spelunking and ghost-hunting are the least of the problems in this story.

3. Taking advice for his own gains shows how smart and intelligent the character actual is. He takes the advice to use for his own personal gains. Leave the mindless killing to the Sith Warriors. The Inquisitor is about growing their knowledge and power.

4. Force Walking is something only the most powerful Force users can do...that is explicitly stated to you. The fact that you didn't die because of it just goes to show how incredibly powerful the Inquisitor is with the Force

To each their own of course...I just think you're looking at most of those in the wrong way.

3: Inquisitor is about growing their knowledge and power... yet he seems to know jack **** by himself? Nor does he apply that knowledge ever. All he ever does is attack people.

So how strong would you rank Zash then, since she is the only one who seems to know about this 'technique'? I don't think very strong, considering she is beaten by a level 20-something inquisitor apprentice..

Also the whole forcewalking technique greatly annoys me.

1. It was created for this purpose only and nobody had ever heard of it before.

2. My biggest issue: it goes against Sith philosophy, which is all about the sith himself. Ultimate selfishness. Willpower. Imprinting your will on the force. NOT having some Disney haunted mansion rejects keep you alive when you yourself are unable to do it. Darth Sion kept himself alive by the power of his will alone. There is no way I am able to attribute this technique to 'powerful', knowing all the other things that Sith have and will do.

Edited by Karkais

You mean the conversations where Zash just keeps giving you orders thinly disguised as advice?

Edited by Beniboybling

You seem more interested in a 'win' than a discussion and aren't using spoiler tags in a thread by someone who hasn't played the story, so here ya go. *Hands over an internet trophy*
Wow, that escalated quickly. Wanna calm down a little?

EDIT: I'm making a genuine point here, feel free to respond civilly.

Edited by Beniboybling

Wow, that escalated quickly. Wanna calm down a little?

EDIT: I'm making a genuine point here, feel free to respond civilly.

Ah, sorry. It didn't feel like a point so much a blowing off my point of view without elaboration and I was irked by the lack of spoiler tags. Overreacted a tad.I think this should probably move to the spoiler section since there's no point advising the op and inadvertantly spoiling the story for them at the same time.

Edit: Oh, I see you added tham, thanks. If we do that, should be ok.

Edited by errant_knight

Ah, sorry. It didn't feel like a point so much a blowing off my point of view without elaboration and I was irked by the lack of spoiler tags. Overreacted a tad.I think this should probably move to the spoiler section since there's no point advising the op and inadvertantly spoiling the story for them at the same time
Yeah I should have phrase it better.

What I really was getting at is exactly what are you getting at cause I don't remember much from their conversations other than "hey here's an idea that you can follow exactly to the letter!"

I feel as though someone started this thread to troll people because quite obviously Sith Inquisitor is one of the best story lines in the entire game! Second only to Imperial Agent, Inquisitor, for me, has the best replay value.

Just my .02 credits!

I liked the Inquisitor Story as well as a Sorcerer(ess). In my opinion, it does not really fit the Sith Assassin. However, I feel the Sith Warrior is better and more Dark Side like. Edited by Lorica

I liked the Inquisitor Story as well as a Sorcerer(ess). In my opinion, it does not really fit the Sith Assassin. However, I feel the Sith Warrior is better and more Dark Side like.

I tend to agree with you on this! The Inquisitor story line seems far more geared towards the Sorcerer class, being the advanced class that specializes in use of the force and knowledge of dark side spells, etc etc. The Assassin is really more of just a stealth melee class much like the Marauder (though Mara has limited stealth capabilities) so I do agree with your thoughts on this!

As the devs have said, the Sorcerer is modeled after Emperor Palpatine to a degree and the Assassin after Darth Maul.

Personally, I loved the Sith Inquisitor story line. I thought it was much more engaging than the Consular one myself, which is supposed to be it's Republic equivalent. The Inquisitor has some of the most excellent lines in the game. To quote: "If you think this is crazy, you should meet the other half!" referring to themselves.

... maybe you had to be there to get the full impact. Anyway, I thought it was very fun and I would suggest it to anyone.

I'll chime in and say that the inqusitor so far has been my favorite force user story. Only off courscant for the consular and DK for the SW, but finished the knight and it was basically a retread of the Luke skywalker story. Kinda meh.

Inquisitor was fun though the first jedi you "seduce" to the dark side but she really doesn't come over really annoyed the heck out of me. Like the actual apprentice though once you get him.

But yeah overall fav force user story though overall fav story still the Imperial agent.

The JK is not at all 'meh' if you let them struggle with temptation to the dark side. It;s not hard to do that. There are choices where you have to put your head in the sand pretty far to pick light. Pick all light without considering the choice in the context of the story and the possible results and, yes, it will be a tad dull. But that's the same for most of the stories. Turn off alignment on mouseover and really consider the implications of your choices and all the stories will be better.

The JK is not at all 'meh' if you let them struggle with temptation to the dark side. It;s not hard to do that. There are choices where you have to put your head in the sand pretty far to pick light. Pick all light without considering the choice in the context of the story and the possible results and, yes, it will be a tad dull. But that's the same for most of the stories. Turn off alignment on mouseover and really consider the implications of your choices and all the stories will be better.

Doing so would be a bit of a fool's errand since the choices you're presented with don't always convey the tone of what you actually say. There have been many occasions (on all classes) where I've made a choice and then wondered how the hell it correlated with the choice I was given. Then I find out (after ESCing out and retrying) that another choice fit the tone and impact I was looking for.

Karkais, I mean no offense but your responses prove that you don't really know what manipulation really is. Married men know what it is (even if they can't name it) because it happens to them almost daily. Anyone in sales or politics knows what manipulation is. It happens every single day in every walk of life. Just because you don't recognize it as such does not mean it's not happening.

RE: Ashara. You mean to tell me (assuming you're male) you've never lied to a woman to get in her pants? Joined a group you didn't like just to get close to a girl. Said you liked something you didn't ("Oh, I love quiche!") for the same purpose? In urban parlance, the Inquisitor is PIMPIN'. He's spittin' game at her and she's lappin' it up like a thirsty kitten (Translation: He's telling Ashara whatever he has to in order to "get" her. Much like it's done all over the world, every single day) He does it SO well that she doesn't even realize it and starts telling her erstwhile compatriots and trying to convert them! While doing so, the inquisitor is using subtle sedition to foment discord within the Jedi Order, but that's just a desirable side effect (not the main goal). The Council could be having bouts of deja vu (Revan). If you don't see that, you're not paying attention (or you don't realize that what you're advocating is exactly the same thing as what you're complaining about: a multifaceted character being written to stay within a small box).

You don't have to be evil to manipulate people and manipulating people does not in and of itself make you evil. If either of these were the case, then every wife, fiancée, and girlfriend on the planet is textbook evil Sith. When you went to see 'Sex Tape' instead of 'Hercules' because she wanted to see the former (as an example), you got got (so to speak). The old cliché "Happy wife, happy life" is manipulation! It's conditioning you to acquiesce.

In the case of Zash, it is in her best interest to bide her time. She helps you (such as it is) in the hopes of trading on that goodwill to get out of her current predicament (she doesn't want to be a Dashade). Currying favor is thus her most effective course of action at that time. The more powerful you get, the more capable you become of freeing her. Also, the deeper you get into forcewalking, the more you're likely to understand why she did what she did (or tried to do). It's very subtle (mainly because the writers probably didn't want to beat you over the head with "OOOOO EVIL MANIPULATOR!". Ambiguity allows for many different interpretations) but it's there. I can see everyone's possible primary motivation.

Inquisitor storyline is one of the best in the game, for better or worse (there are a few really BAD ones). But if you're looking for the stories to somehow directly link up to the various portrayals in the films, you're going to be disappointed.

Personally, the way I got through the Inquisitor storyline is by realizing that most of the worlds you go to are simply because those planets are in the game (Sith artifacts on Hoth & Balmorra? Seriously?). Ignoring the fact that Andronikos & Ashara exist helps a lot. I tend to strip all their armour off, leave them on the ship, and skip their dialogue in cutscenes. The Inquisitor storyline has some really good moments. The ends of Act 1 & 3 stand out in my mind. However, most of the story is just chasing around the galaxy hunting various things. You just really don't feel like a powerful Sith Lord most of the time, I'm afraid. In those rare moments you do, the feeling is wonderful.

It's one of the best stories, especially on Light Side. But you're not gonna like it if you're stuck on the idea of a Palpatine power fantasy cause it's nothing like that. Go without any assumptions and you will get a great personal story driven by your character.