Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Juggernaut vs Assassin Tanking

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Juggernaut vs Assassin Tanking

Highallday
07.16.2014 , 11:48 AM | #1
Age old question, probably elsewhere on the forums already but I wanted to ask in my own way.

So, Jugg tanking, or Sin tanking.

Based on Mitigations, Cooldowns, Threat, DPS, Spikyness.(Not skill level b/c I already think Sin requires a higher skill level)
I enjoy both. Played both at 55. I feel squishier on a Sin, but hold aggro a lot better. I can "sit there and take it" on a Jugg, but AoE aggro is meh(for me) I've seen that HM/NiM has made Defense tanks, kinda awkward but doable. The tank I usually run with is a Sin, but we have others who can either Jugg, Sin, or PT tank. I currently have all 3 at 55. However I'm looking for HM/NiM most viable. I understand they're all "viable" so to speak, but I want to chose the class I'm going to be able to take deep into raid tanking. I understand Jugg is more suitable for MT seeing as most of it's Mitigation comes from being attacked, but I have to switch as the situation arises for MT/OT. If I had to pick a tank, the would last through all the possible stat changes in 3.0, nerfs and buffs patches bring, which would it be?

AAAAzrael
07.16.2014 , 11:54 AM | #2
So far assasin/shadow tank has proved to be reliable enough to have been in most high end world/server first teams in last two tiers of content. For 8-man I am almost sure it will be the tank of choice regardless of changes. In DP NiM shadows seem almost OP in some fights compared to guardians.
Ingalaarn Conqueror of the Dread Fortress / Ji'kiley Deposer of the Dread Masters
Joshased From Beyond / Dread Slayer Xartanol
Manticore @ The Red Eclipse

OMGITSJAD
07.16.2014 , 01:02 PM | #3
If you enjoy playing both tanks and just want to pick the one that has the most utility, I'd go with the sin. Things such as Phase Walk, Shroud, Force Speed, stealthing out, and the 30% AOE damage reduction hybrid can be abused quite often in DF & DP.

sanctified
07.16.2014 , 09:24 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Highallday View Post
Age old question, probably elsewhere on the forums already but I wanted to ask in my own way.

So, Jugg tanking, or Sin tanking.

Based on Mitigations, Cooldowns, Threat, DPS, Spikyness.(Not skill level b/c I already think Sin requires a higher skill level)
I enjoy both. Played both at 55. I feel squishier on a Sin, but hold aggro a lot better. I can "sit there and take it" on a Jugg, but AoE aggro is meh(for me) I've seen that HM/NiM has made Defense tanks, kinda awkward but doable. The tank I usually run with is a Sin, but we have others who can either Jugg, Sin, or PT tank. I currently have all 3 at 55. However I'm looking for HM/NiM most viable. I understand they're all "viable" so to speak, but I want to chose the class I'm going to be able to take deep into raid tanking. I understand Jugg is more suitable for MT seeing as most of it's Mitigation comes from being attacked, but I have to switch as the situation arises for MT/OT. If I had to pick a tank, the would last through all the possible stat changes in 3.0, nerfs and buffs patches bring, which would it be?
Pick the one you like. Single target threat is a joke no matter the class, and I haven't found AOE threat unmanageable on my juggernaut. More buttons to press, yes, but more satisfying to succeed with in the AOE game.

(( I think Juggernauts would be perfect if saber throw silenced ranged attacks for a few seconds so that blaster trash had to run into melee range to attack you, making them vulnerable to sweeping slash spam.))

((That's probably why Saber throw doesn't silence blaster trash. >.> ))
Playing since October 1st, 2011. Squad 238 for life.

Leafy_Bug
07.17.2014 , 04:29 AM | #5
Outside of freak specs, for once tanking is pretty balanced in this game.

Cidgarrillo
07.18.2014 , 02:49 AM | #6
Juggs and PowerTechs have heavy armour and assasins does not.
Thats why assasins have a higher shield (15% without set bonus 20% with it) this means, the assasin tank only shines with high tier of gear.
So, with the engame gear they are pretty equal speaking about average mitigation.
There are still 3 important things left: Threat generation, movement and cooldowns.
Threat generation: Both are viable 100%. However, people usually find assasins easier
Movement: Juggernauts are based on their 2 jumps Force charge and intercede. So if you know how to use them properly (fast change of tarjet) you will find that they have enough movement to every fight in the game. However assasins are based on force speed wich is pretty easier to understand and manage and you also have phase walk.
Cooldowns: I still feel like juggernaut tools of survival are better overall but the tools of the assasin let them "ignore mechanics" making fights usually easier. Also the hybrid of the assasin have a really better DtPS in some fights.

Just think about why you would choose a class over another:
-Lower incoming damage profile?
-More raid utility?
-Difficulty of rotation?
-Better adaptation to boss mechanics?
-Survival when high damage taken?

Lowarro
07.21.2014 , 11:19 AM | #7
I would reccomend a different class than your co-tank, to give your raid the maximum variety of utility. (If your co-tank is a Juggernaut run an Assain and vice versa). If your co-tank is a powertech go with the one you are most comfortable with. Either would be approximately equal in effectiveness meaning the biggest factor would be which one you tank better with.
The Scott Legacy of The Harbinger:
John'e 55 GuardianJatne 50 Mercenary
Volt 50 SorcererJohn'ny 55 Gunslinger
John'n 55 Sniper Baarur, Lowarro, & Grreat

ElevenBfour
07.23.2014 , 11:33 PM | #8
I"m actually the opposite of the OP. Having been back a few weeks now, I've gotten the hang of tanking again on both my Assassin and Jugg. I feel squishier on my Jugg than on my Assn, I also feel the Assassin is loads easier to play than my Jugg.

Here is the kicker and I was actually going to start a thread on this, but since the OP has started one very similar to what I was going to go for, I'll just ask here instead of starting another thread is that's cool.

My problem, I like tanking on my Jugg a lot more than on my Assn. The Jugg's more hectic playstyle is just right down my alley. BUT, after I tank 2 or 3 instances on my Jugg, I'm about done. My mind has had it. On my Assn though, I don't get so tired mentally, I feel like everything is a breeze. I coudl tank all day on him and it not tire me out. But again, I dont' like the tanking style as much.

I'm about to just finish leveling my VG or PT to 55 and see if I can find a happy medium there. In any input on this?

JouerTue
07.24.2014 , 02:13 AM | #9
i'd go fortress with guardian and palace with shadow(assuming you geared your guardian with defence and not absorb shield as priority)
The Red Eclipse
Republic: anstacav, giranda, hobogo, vitulal, wasiq, zadoro, onovidi
Empire: astutillo, comel'am, covamo, heksebo, qarrarr, dadietr
The Harbringer- Republic: hobogo; Empire: qarrarr