Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is the jugg tank good?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Is the jugg tank good?

EpickFaill
07.18.2014 , 02:17 AM | #1
I want to say first that my main is a jugg tank,also got to 55 an assasin and an powertech,but,my jugg has the best gear out of all my characters,as it is my main,but my question is, to you all dedicated tanks of any class,which one is better for end game content?i ask this after looking in tanking threads and there is said that juggs perform poorly at nim content,so........, is this true?if yes then which tank would perform better in end game content,if no thank you for your time.
Remember, we will be watching.

Methoxa
07.18.2014 , 02:27 AM | #2
Jugger tanks are good for endgame content although Sins perform better. But its more important to have a good player than a (over)performing class because EA implements many classbalancing stuff, therefore the classes change from patch to patch
Revanchist

EpickFaill
07.18.2014 , 03:11 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Methoxa View Post
Jugger tanks are good for endgame content although Sins perform better. But its more important to have a good player than a (over)performing class because EA implements many classbalancing stuff, therefore the classes change from patch to patch
what about pt?how are they?also i cannot get how sins can be better,they got least armor and health no?maybe,i think if a good player manages to use all the cds correctly they get rly strong.
Remember, we will be watching.

ZentheSecond
07.18.2014 , 10:51 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by EpickFaill View Post
what about pt?how are they?also i cannot get how sins can be better,they got least armor and health no?maybe,i think if a good player manages to use all the cds correctly they get rly strong.
Strictly NiM tier your asking for the difference between Jugg and Sin on the bosses? It comes down to the little tricks you can do with a Sin vs a Jugg. Here is kind of boss by boss;

DF;
Nefra; shroud for self cleanse, Jugg cannot. Otherwise little difference in tanks.
Draxus; Both are good at holding the boss, but Sin's are really good at the adds. Juggs cannot handle dismantlers well, as shroud blocks their debuff from being applied. Shroud also works as a way to cleanse affliction if it gets out.
Grob; force speed wins for boss movement, its the only movement move a tank has that outpaces the magnet without needing someone else there ahead of it. Plus phase walk to escaping really bad spots (Roared with mining droid and adds nearby), and shroud allows you to resist the damage of the mining droid I do not think reflect works that way.
Zero; shroud for missile barrage and if you are caught out by a last (reflect might work not sure). Also discharge and wither work wonders for add control and they are naturally in a Sin's rotation.
Brontes; broken hybrid is broken, 30% AoE damage reduction and this fight is 90% AoE. Plus another defensive Cooldown that is pretty good and on a short timer. Both can pop rogue orbs are 1 stack with reflect or shroud. But the Sin can really hold Brontes for a long time (3 arcing assaults is what I do, if I did not care to grab a rogue ball I could handle 4 straight I think).

NiM DP;
Bestia; movement advantage to Sins for the knockback a from the Monsters. Greater Snap threat on Sin's too for add control. Sin's are the only ones that can resist stacks from forming on them with shroud use, which means more stationary pew pew time.
Tyrans; both are somewhat even but Sin's have movement edge with phase walk and speed. Allows for a more controlled tile useage and every tile matters in this fight.
Calph; I think Juggs edge out here. I do not know with the different portals as I have only done 1 side on NiM, but Juggs have an easier time dealing with Calph's damage IMO.
Raptus; in terms of Raptus both split even. Reflect and shroud work on Execution, the tank challenge though is where Sin's win. They can do the proximity tank job better (I believe have yet to do it the way I think I need to personally).
Council; No clue have yet to pull them.

Sin's have a lot of tricks in their bag, as none of the a above includes stealth for Rez or the phase walk's healing buff.
Edit;
I will concur with the second poster (name escapes me which is said since I just looked at it too). The player makes a world of difference. Like take Brontes for example, I was unaware that if I cloaked out after taking 1 stack of Arcing Assault and taunted her back. That she would not resume the cast and I would actually then be just barely able to lose that 1 stack when the third Arcing happens. It took another Sin to share that knowledge with me, and then I took to applying it in other fights if I thought it might be possible/useful.
-- Hanakoo - Powertech - DPS/Tank --
-- Natsumii - Assassin - Tank --
-- Kaijėn - Sniper - DPS --

Gardimuer
07.18.2014 , 10:57 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by EpickFaill View Post
Powertechs are also fine for endgame tanking.

As for your question about Assassins:

- The Assassin tanking spec gets a large percentage boost to their armor rating, so they are not as "squishy" as DPS speced Assassins.

- Also, Assassin's have higher base defense chance compared to the other tank classes. This combined with other mitigation stats from their tanking spec means that compared to the other tanks they have slightly lower base damage reduction (i.e. from armor rating) but they have more of the other types of mitigation (defense chance, shield chance, shield absorption). This evens out pretty well so that they take about the same amount of damage as the other tank classes.

- All tanks potentially have the same amount of health. That is solely a matter of their gear, not their class. Also, health is not as important as mitigation stats. You'll eventually notice that the tanks with "best in slot" gear actually have less HP than the ones who got the commendation gear from vendors. This is because the best gear has more mitigation stats and less endurance.

Methoxa
07.21.2014 , 07:41 AM | #6
There are some minor false informations by prior posters :

Quote:
DF;
Nefra; shroud for self cleanse, Jugg cannot. Otherwise little difference in tanks.
#1 The Juggernaut can use Intervention on the other tank =20% less dmg. He also can use Masstaunt for an approx 2k shield. Besides that Juggernaut's Def cd's really shine here. But Nefra is a freeloot boss therefore it doesnt really count.

Draxus : If the Juggernaut tank is good he'll be better at tanking draxus because of his def cd's. Since the nm buff went off i do not take more than 500dtps in that bossfight. However i am tanking boss + dismantler. With the active Nm buff sins had problems with tanking draxus getting roughly 200-300dtps more than a juggernaut. The sin is indeed better for the dismantlers, but there is really only 1 dismantler phase where it can be handy. So Juggernaut is overall better at this fight.

Grob : If the tank is good they dont need to move it, they will actually position the boss right after each pipe smash. So you dont need force speed. Its a little rougher for a jugger tank to keep aggro on those shielded adds. But whith the nm power gone you can also offtank them. Furthermore saber reflect when he does his force scream is pretty good. But still Sins are better here.

Zero : Juggernauts are better here. Missile barrage is not really that much dmg, using force shroud seems a little like a wasted cd. Juggernaut can reflect adds dmg with saber reflect. The cd of saber reflect is ready for each new addwave. Other Def cd's when tanking the boss.

Brontes : Sin wins bc of hybrid spec. In the last phase Jugger becomes a little better when he takes the boss after the first tentacle was activated because saber reflect works on brontes. Furthermore Enrage defense will heal you to full when you taunt brontes. Still Sins take 300dtps less than juggers here.

Bestia : Hybrid sin wins because he can hold 3-4 adds while still healable. Not only sins can btw. resist those stacks, Juggers can also by using saber reflect ( reflects brontes dmg) + 70% more defense afterwards = 80% chance of not getting hits by bestia = stacks will vanish. Hybrid sin does not have better snap threat than a juggernaut, neither does a full kinetic sin has btw. Especially when tanking 3 or 4 adds the juggernaut really shines with tps. Saber reflect = 7k threat on any target that hits you even when the dmg is not reflected + smash+crushing blow.

Tyrans : Phasewalk indeed is great when put under the floor so the sin wont take fall dmg. Force speed isnt that great for this fight at lest not for a tank because the time you have in order to get on another platform is too short. Even force speed wont really help there. Worth mentioning here is the juggers intervention because it can help to go anywhere when a tile is already missing. Saved me and my raid quite often. Furthermore it is handy to get to the holocron really quick ( about 2 seconds ).

Calphayus : Jugger is quite good for mitgating the boss's dmg when using def cd's correctly. If you dont have an armour debuff juggs are also more handy for this fight.

Raptus : Same opinion than the preposter however juggs can use enrage defense while in challenge. So even in the challenge they are even but only if it is a hybrid sin. A full kinetic sin will be worse.

Council : Pretty much even however juggs can use saber reflect during all phases when they tank calphayus. Brontes dmg is also reflectable so is the dmg of the phase when all council member jump into the middle.

In general Juggers and Sins are pretty good tanks for the actual nm content. Here and there the sin is better but in my optinion thats a designer's fault ( hybrid sin). For pt's : There are some bosses where it might be hard for them. Especially Draxus/Brontes. Still they are doable with a pt tank.
Revanchist

ZentheSecond
07.21.2014 , 10:41 AM | #7
@methoxa;
I suppose I should have prefaced the post with the fact that I do not have a Jugg or Guardian past lvl 35. So some of the subtle factors of the class are lost on me. Especially when it comes to how reflect works for a tank or the new Enraged Defenses. So a lot of the info in my post before is sort of just from observing how my cotank does things when he is on my screen plus from the two other Juggs I use to tank with before they swapped to heal or Dps.
-- Hanakoo - Powertech - DPS/Tank --
-- Natsumii - Assassin - Tank --
-- Kaijėn - Sniper - DPS --