A PvP a Day...

DomiSotto

16 July 2014

Harbinger, Becchino, Marauder, L 42

Huttsball popped. The team actually played, so even with a huge loss (0:5) it was fun (I managed one useful leap, but otherwise still pathetic unfortunately, but could at least see the ball carrier and feebly try to do something about it ). My key binding is still very poor, so I will try to finish chapter two today and will start training from scratch with my new trooper after vacations. Will touch-type daily - who said fanfiction is useless for skill set development? (heh)

Tomorrow is my prep day for the Shield Tech on Progenitor, I will keybind at least the targeting and might take him through a couple of zones.

PS I can't believe I am saying it, but I find the PvP games a lot of fun actually!

Edited by DomiSotto

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PVP is better then many will admit but is always been a part of the game for more mature people, and best would be to try to have fun and avoid the min/max crowd

I always though pvp fail almost in any game because devs still don't get they have to separate people with different thinking they make useless separation PVE server PVP server... (when they u see pve server pvping as much as pvp server) but they don't separate people by skill and mentality.

there are veteran that are willing to help and accept new player and let them discover built for themselves there are veteran that tell you what to do how to dress and what to roll otherwise u are useless.

This is what devs should devide call min/max(ranked) server and casual server maybe PVP would flourish if the right people would be matched together.

16 July 2014

Harbinger, Becchino, Marauder, L 42

Huttsball popped. The team actually played, so even with a huge loss (0:5) it was fun (I managed one useful leap, but otherwise still pathetic unfortunately, but could at least see the ball carrier and feebly try to do something about it ). My key binding is still very poor, so I will try to finish chapter two today and will start training from scratch with my new trooper after vacations. Will touch-type daily - who said fanfiction is useless for skill set development? (heh)

Tomorrow is my prep day for the Shield Tech on Progenitor, I will keybind at least the targeting and might take him through a couple of zones.

PS I can't believe I am saying it, but I find the PvP games a lot of fun actually!

Nice, Domi. I have to agree, after you made this thread and I committed to also do at least a pvp a day I have had a lot of fun. it's nice learning a new aspect of the game, and also something cool in reporting back here everyday for advice from the community. I think it's pretty neat anyway. I was super busy yesterday and had progression last night that stretched past 11pm so I was tired and did not pvp last night. I will for sure get some pvp in today and hopefully some arenas so I can try that awesome advice I was given. I encourage others to try pvp. Even if ya hate it. I do...did. You don't have to come here and post your every embarrassing failure for the community to see, if you don't want to. I'm glad I gave it another go.

So, Pekish, you envision a kind of a Ranked server and a Social PvP Server? It would be nice, because frankly the PvE/RP division is really non-existent from what I can tell. What I worry about is that labeling like that might give certain folks raiding ideas, lol. :) to be honest I don't see people chewing stones in the unranked pool, and hope to continue to observe it. Why, in one zone a marvel of a player actually focused targets for everyone. :)

Jrwellworth, I am so glad you shared, I am now really curious to play a Scoundrel - Yours sounds really neat!

I know one thing - trying each character one has in PvP is certainly a very good test as how well you are playing and what your weaknesses are. Plus when you see what other people do with a similar class - wow! And it is a dynamic diversion from the grind, it really feels like a war is raging, picks you up and drops you off, a quick and risk/cost free way to comms when leveling... great stuff really.

Now, I really want to learn to be passable at it! :) I guess I will also need to read up on Troopers :)

Edited by DomiSotto

Jrwellworth, I am so glad you shared, I am now really curious to play a Scoundrel - Yours sounds really neat!

Scoundrel... I don't think I have laughed as much on ANY other storyline. "leave the helmet on!" xD Oh god...

And it's nice to see how a new, promising pvp-er gets born.

Soon you'll be pro... then comes the frustration with "the others"... and the forum posts about class balance... ;)

Welcome to the game! :D

Oh, my very first (and only) Finished Class character is a Smuggler, but she is a Gunslinger, and I had no doubts whatsoever it would be a class I will be repeating with a male toon. :)

One thing I believe in is that any class is good if you love it. Don't think I will ever got erudite enough to whine about the class balance. My goal is passable, rather than good. After all I am past the golden years of life when most acquire the gaming skill. :)

Anyway, came home to find my system dismantled and Mr. D. in a deep and meaningful discussion with Memory Express about what got hooked up where and why and what should be changed. Heh, my gaming break began. :)

Be back sometime in August :)

Edited by DomiSotto

PVP is better then many will admit but is always been a part of the game for more mature people, and best would be to try to have fun and avoid the min/max crowd

I always though pvp fail almost in any game because devs still don't get they have to separate people with different thinking they make useless separation PVE server PVP server... (when they u see pve server pvping as much as pvp server) but they don't separate people by skill and mentality.

there are veteran that are willing to help and accept new player and let them discover built for themselves there are veteran that tell you what to do how to dress and what to roll otherwise u are useless.

This is what devs should devide call min/max(ranked) server and casual server maybe PVP would flourish if the right people would be matched together.

Nah. Because lots of people start off casual and then get excited to min/max to see just how good they can be. Lots of people want to have some casual toons and maybe also some min/max toons. That's what ranked and unranked are for. Don't make perfect the enemy of the good.

Oh, my very first (and only) Finished Class character is a Smuggler, but she is a Gunslinger, and I had no doubts whatsoever it would be a class I will be repeating with a male toon. :)

One thing I believe in is that any class is good if you love it. Don't think I will ever got erudite enough to whine about the class balance. My goal is passable, rather than good. After all I am past the golden years of life when most acquire the gaming skill. :)

Anyway, came home to find my system dismantled and Mr. D. in a deep and meaningful discussion with Memory Express about what got hooked up where and why and what should be changed. Heh, my gaming break began. :)

Be back sometime in August :)

No! Go agent! Same style of play, awesome new story!

Kaliyo: "Hey ugly, pay you 20 credits to lick my feet! *turns to you* Can you spot me 20 credits?"

Kaliyo on Alderaan "Only time i'm ever gonna be in a palace like this - ha! Makes you want to kick out the nobles and run around naked."

Agent was the very first toon I created, but no chemistry happened. I whined about it at length here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=745436

I actually deleted the second, male alt as well for the IA, because even roling good old James doesn't appeal after seeing some of the Ch 1 story. So my male alts are Warrior, Smuggler, Trooper (Jaxo!) and Inq (Ashara!) + I play a male BH on another server. When I am totally done with the rest, I might purchase a slot and play another Consular, a Twi'lek Female Shadow with Zenith, because that's my fav combination of story, race, class and companion.

But that has nothing to do with PvP.

A PVP A DAY

Sand'ari

LEVEL 55

SAWBONES SCOUNDREL

Unaugmented obroan chest pants main hand and relics

I'm back with a new report. The past few days have been hectic and busy with family stuff, so I've really only gotten to log at night for my progression runs and a spot of pvp for this guy. (you know, the late night kind when you promised your wife you'd be off 20 minutes ago, but it just popped, and ya say "don't worry babe, just tweaking some stats" and she's like, bulls*it, I just heard a slow release med pack")

Anyway, my late night pop was a Novare coast match. Now, I'm familiar with the basic strategy. Each team rushes for their off node and then one of the teams get a second, usually mid and then the off node is contested. What I do not understand is why when I'm in there it always has to be mid people fight for. Even if we are thrown back countless time, and people in chat are screaming that there is only one guard at their other node. It seems we could send a feint to that node to draw forces from mid and then attack mid in force or actually take their off node.

Now I'm not saying this is always the case but this match was just like that. They had 7 players at mid and we were repelled over and over and over. I asked in chat why we were doing this, and our little meter was already to 50% or maybe less and theirs was 100%. I was told in reply that we were losing because no one was wearing pvp gear. That is the reason we were losing. As I pvp more and more I find myself wanting to win, and as I learn more I feel more comfortable to at least ask in chat if we have a strategy.

I'm sorry if this sounds more like a rant then my usual stories about my embarrassing mistakes and call for advice, and I promise my next report will have more herp a derp, and noobness, but for now can anyone just tell me if I am wrong here, for getting a bit upset at the lack of communication and teamwork and a small hope that people wanna do more then just put up numbers? I mean I love making green numbers appear on my teammates but I could care less what the end number is, unless it's especially high, then I can look back on that match and see what I was doing right to be able to heal for so much. That's healing though.

Also, Domi, as always I am excited by your progress. Did you ever look into parsec?

Yes, sending one or two (preferably stealth dps specs) to their off node is generally a good idea in that situation. This is usually the problem with pugs, they don't respond or rotate in a timely fashion. I would also venture to guess that your team was probably getting insta-gibbed 1-2 at a time at mid because all 7 of you aren't dying at the same time. You should be grouping up, even if that means waiting for everyone at your only node and then zerging one of their nodes as a group. Why people continue to bash their heads over and over 1 at a time at the same node against 7 opponents is beyond me. I swear sometimes I wonder if people are just botting. This goes for ACW as well. Edited by Ridickilis

I always try to go for the second node but normally they are not stupid and leave a strong char to guard it and quickly mob back.

No to parsec but I am installing it as soon as I am back. The new system is installed and the game is running. No time for more than that. OMG, I went from bare min graphics to Ultimate, and WOW, just WOW! The glow, the detail, the colors! And, my load times are down from 3-4 min to <30 sec. And lags? What lags? People on rankors don't kill the Fleet, and stuff. Can't wait to play again!

Edited by DomiSotto

Just wanted to say this thread is great, and mention a few things.

Forgive me for not remembering who exactly said it, but starting a new toon straight into PvP is indeed an excellent idea, because it provides a good learning curve with a (relatively) easy environment. Being low leveled means you don't have many abilities yet, so PvP at that stage is not as mechanically-demanding. This slowly eases you into it, while also helping your decision-making improve (currently doing this with my level 19 Operative). Much smoother than, for example, when I tried to PvP with my level 51 Sentinel for the first time. I still shudder at the thought.

One other thing I'd like to say is that you should try all the different classes in PvP. I didn't like PvP at all when I tried it with my Juggernaut, my Sorceress, my Mercenary or my Vanguard, let alone the aforementioned Sentinel. Then one day, I made an assassin (Madness tree), and my PvP-loving friend told me I should totally PvP with this toon. Took him a bit of convincing, but I've decided to give it a shot. And for the first time in PvP, something just clicked. It was fun, it was intuitive, and it was highly effective. I kept getting the highest DPS on the team. Level 46 now and I still do, although it's probably less me being skilled and more Death Field being Death Field.

A PVP A DAY

SAND'ARI

LEVEL 55

SAWBONES SCOUNDREL

Obroan head chest pants main hand and two relics

Morning everyone. I have not posted in a couple days but I have been busy doing a spot of pvp. I have actually had some decent matches, and some not so decent. First off was a huttball where we got beat pretty bad. I am having a hard time trying to be useful here as I am not familiar with all the strategy's. If I see a teammate get the ball I hurry to them to follow them and heal them through, flash-bang enemies etc but a lot of the time it seems as if no one else is further along for the guy to pass to and we are killed. Still I have fun there and can see I have room for improvement.

I had a few AHG's that were fun and the one last night one of the really good pvpers on our server (so I'm told) was on the opposing team. He did insane healing numbers, like I was in the 200k region and he was in the million region. Even though he did great numbers it must kinda suck in a way to be him, cause that's really all that was said in our chat, over and over: "focus caveh" So they did. We won by a good margin, but we had 3 healers or four on our team (including me) and it really seemed that none of us died a lot. Luck of the draw I suppose.

The best match by far was an ACW. This was really one of the better matches I've been in. It had great communication, and damn good teamwork. I don't know how I managed it but I walked away with something like 15 medals, and an achievo for something like advanced critical damage dealer, though I was really healing most of the time. It feels good to use thee advice I get here and turn it in to something out there.

So I guess this mornings question is my gear. Gree starts tomorrow as we all know, and I have never been in a position to actually gank people, gear or skill wise. Even though I'm just a healer I still think I can have some fun out on the western ice shelf. My pvp gear is listed in the opener. Head, pants, chest, both relics and main hand. I have about 1000 comms from yesterday and I wanna know if I should go for my fourth set bonus piece or work on my left side. Scoundrel healer set bonus 4 piece sucks. It does on pve gear, and pvp gear it seems. +5 energy. I really wish they would both have the campaign field medics four piece. Most PvE scoundrel healers I know never get the four piece. So, what do you think guys? Left side or continue on the right? Also any Gree tips are appreciated, as I can finally gank people. So stoked. As a friend so eloquently put it "red means dead"

I'm practically amazed at this thread. All the mellowness makes me wonder how this is in a PVP forum...

On a serious note I applaud the OP for sticking with it!

Just remember PVP is just as much about luck as much as skill. The difference between a good game and a bad game could be that great string of crits, that kickass scoundrel healer you just met, or a lagging node guard XD. Don't rely on these things of course, but every little thing that goes your way counts :p

lagging node guard XD.

Holy hell that happened to me last night guarding the off node in ACW (I bet that was you who capped on me lol). Frigging red-x'ed out, by the time I got control again the other team had capped the node. Luckily we got it right back then I profusely apologized in chat. I had been calling out all game, so at least I didn't have to take any "L2call-n00b", they must have figured something was up.

Edited by Ridickilis

I'm practically amazed at this thread. All the mellowness makes me wonder how this is in a PVP forum...

It is pretty mellow. I am having a lot of fun doing pvp and writing this thread, and I know Domi is also. Really though were only making fun of ourselves, telling embarrassing stories of our epic fails and progress. It is sometimes hard to laugh at yourself and put it out there for a whole community to laugh along. I am surprised that we haven't been made fun of yet, but in reality that shows the true side of the pvp community in this game. We come here and tell of our derps and fails, vent, and tell of our wins. Then we ask for advice and help. This is where the community has shined through. I also think that's why we haven't been really trolled. At it's core, the pvp community has a massive knowledge, and when people ask for their help, without presuming to know more then or reject that help, it is given freely. Add in a bit of entertainment, and here we are. I've learned how to navigate and be useful in arenas, which is my worst area, among other things, and Domi is now mouse turning and keybinding, among other things.

I like posting in this thread and I will continue to do so, maybe even all the way to my first ranked match and beyond. I wish I could use fraps so you guys could actually view us getting better, but for now stories will have to do. I shall be back with today's report tomorrow. Gree should make for some interesting stories and I'm sure I will be needing help. Till then.

Ha-ha, my keybindiing so far gets me killed in a hurry in levelling. :) Can't wait to start my from scratch char though.

Anyway, my only encounter with PvP yesterday was... you gotta appreciate it - not being able to book a hotel in Seattle because of a huge international DOT2 tournament. I thought my husband was pulling my leg,but holy cow 11 mln $ prize pool for a MMO competition? That's a far cry from SWTOR and I bet that's not mellow :) I wish we could see it, but oh, well :) Gritty Tacoma it was :)

Jrwellworth, I find Huttball the hardest minigame, and way to go with the ACW! Critical damage, WOOT! I never managed to get past 3000 dmg with single ability on my Gunslinger. I was also thinking that moving while fighting on a cover char will be hard because of two versions of the bar. :)

A PVP A DAY

SAND'ARI

LEVEL 55

SAWBONES SCOUNDREL

Obroan head chest pants main hand and two relics

I wanna know if I should go for my fourth set bonus piece or work on my left side. Scoundrel healer set bonus 4 piece sucks. It does on pve gear, and pvp gear it seems. +5 energy. I really wish they would both have the campaign field medics four piece. Most PvE scoundrel healers I know never get the four piece. So, what do you think guys? Left side or continue on the right? Also any Gree tips are appreciated, as I can finally gank people. So stoked. As a friend so eloquently put it "red means dead"

My two cents = it depends. What implants/earpieces are you using now vs. what gloves are you using now? I only ask because some pve gear is bolstered better than others. Personallly I'd get whatever Obroan item is the next biggest upgrade for you, but first i need an idea of what you would be poised to replace.

Jrwellworth, I find Huttball the hardest minigame, and way to go with the ACW! Critical damage, WOOT! I never managed to get past 3000 dmg with single ability on my Gunslinger. I was also thinking that moving while fighting on a cover char will be hard because of two versions of the bar. :)

Domi, to each their own, but I HATE the cover bar. HATE it. I always disable it (it's an option in your preferences on each character) because i want to be able to bounce in and out of cover without relearning keybinds.

And your Gunslinger should be critting pretty hard on quickdraw unless you don't have that ability yet? It's available at lvl 18, i think, I forget what level you said your GS was, but on my dirty fighting gunslinger I use quickdraw soooo much.

My two cents = it depends. What implants/earpieces are you using now vs. what gloves are you using now? I only ask because some pve gear is bolstered better than others. Personallly I'd get whatever Obroan item is the next biggest upgrade for you, but first i need an idea of what you would be poised to replace.

Hello. To answer your question my current left side is a Black Market menders earpiece, and implants are two arkanian mk-x. Also an obroan relic of the SA and the FR. My glove is from a 168 UW token but has, I believe a 180 enhancement from the sentinels pants. I hope that answers your questions, and none of my pvp gear is augmented yet, that will take a bit of time. I am almost done augmenting my PvE set, so pvp is next. Thanks for the time and advice

TwoLekku, thank you for the insight. I think I will disable the cover bar and try it that way, because yes, I find it frustrating as well. The biggest crits I saw on my slinger run in 3800 range, not yet going over 4000. My gear is still lagging behind, but I am working in it. :)

Hello. To answer your question my current left side is a Black Market menders earpiece, and implants are two arkanian mk-x. Also an obroan relic of the SA and the FR. My glove is from a 168 UW token but has, I believe a 180 enhancement from the sentinels pants. I hope that answers your questions, and none of my pvp gear is augmented yet, that will take a bit of time. I am almost done augmenting my PvE set, so pvp is next. Thanks for the time and advice

If it were me, JR, I'd do the gloves first. Their PVE rating is high enough that you're taking a bit of a bolster hit, more so than the ear and implants, IMHO. Honestly, you can get a cheap pair of blue Microfilament implants (you know, the kind that often drop during HM flashpoints) and get full bolster with nearly identical stats as Obroan, I usually save my earpiece and implants for last because of that bolster trick. Still, the arkanians aren't hurting you as badly as your gloves if i'm doing the math in my head correctly.

For more detail on pve gear and bolster, I highly recommend the "how to become a contender" sticky post on the front page of this very pvp forum. Some folks went to great lengths to figure out the best way to get by with pve gear while still building one's pvp set. It helped me a lot.

TwoLekku, thank you for the insight. I think I will disable the cover bar and try it that way, because yes, I find it frustrating as well. The biggest crits I saw on my slinger run in 3800 range, not yet going over 4000. My gear is still lagging behind, but I am working in it. :)

Hmmm...well, if you're not lvl 55 yet, you don't need to worry too much about gear. Pre-55, bolster should be more or less leveling the playing field as long as your gear is good enough for you to handle your class missions and level-appropriate flashpoints and such.

Once you're level 55, i can't recommend this thread enough. It really is possible to cobble together a non-gimped pvp starter outfit out of the right pve gear, often from old mods and things that a lot of us have laying around after hundreds of flashpoints and SM ops and such.

Yes, just have fun. Even in death/defeat. I used to record my matches and go back and watch them to see where I made mistakes. It was good to see the action after the stress and adrenaline was over. For some reason I would laugh a lot when seeing bodies flying and getting crushed on the vids too ... especially mine. haha

cheers and good luck