Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What some don't understand about Neutrality.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
What some don't understand about Neutrality.

Latorn
12.25.2011 , 06:01 PM | #1
If you have any idea how the conversation system in SWTOR works, you'll realize there is no "grey" or neutral option that gives you "grey" or neutral points. GOOD, I AGREE, THIS WOULD BE STUPID.

This is not the problem with the current alignment system and restriction of relics & other gear.

The problem ISN'T a player making a neutral choice in one instance, but IS a player deciding to make a dark choice, and then in another quest make a light choice. The player has picked a side, made a decision, yet these two decisions counter each other out and leave a player in the "grey" neutral zone. In case it isn't apparent, this system currently punishes players for making their own choices in different quests. The system encourages players to not make their own choices, but rather make the same light side decision over and over, or the same dark side decision, so that the player is not gimped (alignment restricts access to relics and other gear <edit: and for those of you who say its not true, take a look at these 90 relics for example>).

Bioware, please fix the most unique feature your MMO has. I honestly believe this should priority #1, ahead of new flashpoints and operations. Either neutral relics need to be implemented, and alignment restrictions stripped from other gear. Or all alignment gear needs to be swapped with gear that is purely cosmetic. Without these fixes decision making will remain broken, and quests will turn into every other MMO quest (albeit with voice acting).

Edit #2: It seems like all neutral related threads are being moved from the general forums and being hidden in the story and lore forums... >.< Disappointing.

TheLightningLord
12.25.2011 , 06:03 PM | #2
I agree there needs to be Neutral gear. I don't understand why there isn't, considering a lot of people like to play a morally gray character. At least this would be a pretty easy fix, I just hope they decide to do it.

Esaru
12.25.2011 , 06:04 PM | #3
Yeah, their light/dark system is really problematic and not very well thought-out.

Either you pick light or dark and you stick with it. But then what's the point of creating the character you want and making the choices you want to make? They're taken away from you in favour of getting enough dark/light points for their respective vendors, while the people who are 'neutral' or tend to pick light and dark equally are completely screwed.

For example on my Jedi Guardian, I don't really have a problem with all the light choices because it just fits my character.

On the other hand, my Powertech is a bit of a b*tch but she has morals, and so often I'm choosing dark OR light depending on the outcome and how I think she would respond in that situation. This has left me with around 850 dark points and 500 light points, putting me just at 350 dark, at level 17. If I continue on this path, there won't be anything for me end game at the light/dark vendors. And if there is, it's likely that only the first tiers will be available, and of course, these are not as good as the tier 5 items.
|⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮≬[.]███████████████████████████████████████)|

Kaidorin
12.25.2011 , 06:07 PM | #4
Alignment gear is cosmetic.

Every piece of gear that's not alignment gated is neutral gear.

Latorn
12.25.2011 , 06:08 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by TheLightningLord View Post
I agree there needs to be Neutral gear. I don't understand why there isn't, considering a lot of people like to play a morally gray character. At least this would be a pretty easy fix, I just hope they decide to do it.
If they don't:

A lot of people not getting relics = gimped characters = people quitting game or rerolling and choosing light or dark choice every time = loss of subscription + loss of games unique feature.

Latorn
12.25.2011 , 06:10 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaidorin View Post
Alignment gear is cosmetic.

Every piece of gear that's not alignment gated is neutral gear.
This is how it was advertised, but it is not true, there is gear that requires alignment.

Oh, and take a look at these 90 relics: http://www.torhead.com/items/catg/2/...ny/and/slot/49

Caelrie
12.25.2011 , 06:26 PM | #7
Only insane radical extremists always pick light or always pick dark. I choose not to play an insane maniac, so I feel your pain, OP.

Esaru
12.25.2011 , 06:29 PM | #8
Sigh, the mods always move light/dark side threads to the 'story and lore' section of the forum

probably so no one ends up reading this, they know their system they've got set up here is crap, lol

:\
|⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮⋮≬[.]███████████████████████████████████████)|

Shambhalian
12.25.2011 , 06:30 PM | #9
In the beta I played a neutral jedi guardian, and I can honestly say I was surprised just how much fun he was. Decent guy but very bloodthirsty. :P
There's no faster way to kill a MMO than to give everyone what they want.

Omnious
12.25.2011 , 06:35 PM | #10
Easy fix, continously run Flashpoints and choose light side or dark side in group communications.

It's really not that hard >.> I got Dark II from just running Black Talon multiple times.

It's really cosmetic but at the same time these things should also be important; that's why they're implemented.

When it comes to being level 50, I'm sure that by that time you should be some awesome Dark Sith Lord (because really, how many caring Sith are there) or some Jedi who follows the light. While I agree that I'm not a maniac that simply chooses Dark or Light all the time, understand that it's there as a gate. Those who choose will simply have a longer time obtaining alignment gear and vice versa.

There shouldn't be any straight shots to gear (as there should be many paths and personally this is another path) and I like it like that. Plus it makes you pay attention to your actions so I think Bioware's doing fine.

Really, don't complain about this, it's fine.