Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

dtjswtor's Avatar


dtjswtor
07.04.2014 , 01:23 PM | #401
I got all my 3 mod armor pieces and MH/OH to totals of 458 (excluding crystals), belt to 302 (162 armor 140 mod), 148 rating bracers, matrix shard (rating 124) and dread guard relic (rating 154), 152 implants and 156 ear. Expertise was at 1932. Since the cap without MH/OH PvP crystals is 1936, my assessment is that 152 is the magic number - either as average on multi-mod gear, or the rating on single rating items. Anything over that and you start to lose exp. I think I got max bolster on everything but dread guard relic and ear, where I lost a few points. Going to try swapping out the ear for a 152 piece and see what happens.

DAOWAce's Avatar


DAOWAce
07.09.2014 , 06:04 PM | #402
You know PvP is broken when you buy PvP gear and get a +.01% bonus to PvP stats and lose a bunch of other stats.

I was going to comment on the level 20 items, but then saw the stats. Why did Bioware change the rating numbers? The guide should be updated for the new numbers, unless the guy quit the game, which wouldn't be surprising since it's awful.

"You can still be competitive with PvP gear". Yeah, maybe if you're one of the few classes that aren't terrible, like sages.

Would love to hear an explanation for how multiple classes crit for 10k, repeatedly, with instant skills, when sages can barely reach 4k with 2 second casts when fully bolstered (2016 exp) with 78% surge rating, and die to a single class before their CC wears off.
I don't mean to sound rude, but I can't help the way people interpret my words.

Akushii's Avatar


Akushii
07.11.2014 , 05:51 PM | #403
Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
Yes up can drop 82 EXP as long as your MH/OH have 69 hilts/armoring or above.

Here is a rundown of what you should be wearing or progressing to wear. More favorable is after the "or", but its not by much...
Crafted 53 or Brute Ear
Crafted 53 or Brute implants
Obroan or Brute Wrists/Belt
Obroan or Brute relics
Obroan/Brute or 72/69/66 MH/OH
Obroan/Brute 2/4 piece set boni.
69/63/61 or 69/66/58 on remaining pieces
Just to confirm the level to rating is:

72=168
69=162
66=156
58=140

right? That is they are all purple armoring/mod/enhancement?
~Peace is a Lie~

Hellhog's Avatar


Hellhog
07.31.2014 , 03:33 AM | #404
Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
Yes up can drop 82 EXP as long as your MH/OH have 69 hilts/armoring or above.

Here is a rundown of what you should be wearing or progressing to wear. More favorable is after the "or", but its not by much...
Crafted 53 or Brute Ear
Crafted 53 or Brute implants
Obroan or Brute Wrists/Belt
Obroan or Brute relics
Obroan/Brute or 72/69/66 MH/OH
Obroan/Brute 2/4 piece set boni.
69/63/61 or 69/66/58 on remaining pieces
So, I'm trying to understand this correctly. I just went onto Ask Mr. Robot to look at full minmaxed Brutalizer gear. I personally have fully purple augmented Brutalizer gear with every piece minmaxed with the exception of the 5 main pieces for the set bonus, which are all still Obroan but are minmaxed as well (still working to get those last 5 pieces in Brut and minmax them). As a DPS Assassin, all of my secondary stats are purely power and surge (zero crit, alac, acc, etc.)

I looked through what I have quoted. The artifact microfilament earpieces and implants are just bad stats for DPS sins. So I stuck with Brut. I also went with Brut relics, waist/wrist, and the 4 piece set bonus. I fitted one gear piece as mentioned above with 69/66/58 but I immediately went back to Brut because it lowered End, Will, Pow, and Surge. The only thing it didn't lower was Armor. I don't see how this is beneficial even once bolstered since I assume the Brut piece with Exp is going to be higher stats than the 69/66/58 PvE Bolstered. Unless somehow I'm wrong and the bolster not only adds Expertise but also adds to the main and secondary stats. I don't know enough about bolster though to know if it does that.

The only thing I did keep was the PvE MH/OH combo using 72/69/66 with power crystals. A minimal loss to surge but the damage range does increase significantly to my melee as well as damage bonus increases as well. I don't know enough about bolster though to understand how these will be bolstered in PvP.

Obviously I want to get the best gear possible but after reading through a lot of this thread, I don't understand why most PvE gear is compared to Obroan considering Obroan is not the best PvP gear. All PvE combinations should only be compared with Brutalizer when looking for what provides more damage.

I'm worried about losing my damage reduction though as well as if the damage increase from the PvE gear actually beats out the loss in damage bonus from the Expertise.

Here is the comparison of all min/maxed Brutalizer gear on the left and the same on the right with the exception of the MH/OH both being 72/69/66 with power crystals. Is it actually worth it to replace my MH/OH Brut with PvE? And does somehow lowering my stats on one piece of gear (going from PvP to PvE) actually somehow bolster to being better?

L-RANDLE's Avatar


L-RANDLE
07.31.2014 , 08:54 AM | #405
Quote: Originally Posted by Hellhog View Post
So, I'm trying to understand this correctly. I just went onto Ask Mr. Robot to look at full minmaxed Brutalizer gear. I personally have fully purple augmented Brutalizer gear with every piece minmaxed with the exception of the 5 main pieces for the set bonus, which are all still Obroan but are minmaxed as well (still working to get those last 5 pieces in Brut and minmax them). As a DPS Assassin, all of my secondary stats are purely power and surge (zero crit, alac, acc, etc.)

I looked through what I have quoted. The artifact microfilament earpieces and implants are just bad stats for DPS sins. So I stuck with Brut. I also went with Brut relics, waist/wrist, and the 4 piece set bonus. I fitted one gear piece as mentioned above with 69/66/58 but I immediately went back to Brut because it lowered End, Will, Pow, and Surge. The only thing it didn't lower was Armor. I don't see how this is beneficial even once bolstered since I assume the Brut piece with Exp is going to be higher stats than the 69/66/58 PvE Bolstered. Unless somehow I'm wrong and the bolster not only adds Expertise but also adds to the main and secondary stats. I don't know enough about bolster though to know if it does that.

The only thing I did keep was the PvE MH/OH combo using 72/69/66 with power crystals. A minimal loss to surge but the damage range does increase significantly to my melee as well as damage bonus increases as well. I don't know enough about bolster though to understand how these will be bolstered in PvP.

Obviously I want to get the best gear possible but after reading through a lot of this thread, I don't understand why most PvE gear is compared to Obroan considering Obroan is not the best PvP gear. All PvE combinations should only be compared with Brutalizer when looking for what provides more damage.

I'm worried about losing my damage reduction though as well as if the damage increase from the PvE gear actually beats out the loss in damage bonus from the Expertise.

Here is the comparison of all min/maxed Brutalizer gear on the left and the same on the right with the exception of the MH/OH both being 72/69/66 with power crystals. Is it actually worth it to replace my MH/OH Brut with PvE? And does somehow lowering my stats on one piece of gear (going from PvP to PvE) actually somehow bolster to being better?
a few things to clarify:
1. As far as I know, AMR doesn't take bolster into account. Keep in mind bolster increases the HP, Main Stat, and EXP on every piece of gear. You really have to make comparisons in WZs or at the bolster machine on fleet.

2. The ear /implants I am referring to are not the Microfiliment versions. For a Sin, these bolster to be on par with PvP versions at a minimum and you can augment and wear them at level 53/54..
IMPLANT
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/500...resolve-system

EAR
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/500...dethless-relay

3. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. If you have BiS Brute mods, you have to have BiS 69/66/58 mods w/similar stat weights. Also keep in mind that you have to look at tooltip values and manually calc what an attack will be. The plus/minus doesn't always tell the true story..
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

Icykill_'s Avatar


Icykill_
08.25.2014 , 11:55 AM | #406
Quote: Originally Posted by Akushii View Post
Just to confirm the level to rating is:

72=168
69=162
66=156
58=140

right? That is they are all purple armoring/mod/enhancement?
I can confirm that 69 (162) hilts, barrels, mods etc are the "sweet spot" for maximising bolster/expertise and stats
Anything over this and you see big diminishing returns... Especially with 180 PVE gear which should never be used !!

I played in a match the other day with a guy on a Sorc running all 180 PVE gear... Sure he had 37k health and bigger than usual bonus damage as a stat.. But had 900 expertise... I politely chatted to him and tried to explain the bolster system and suggested he at least get himself some 156 or 162 gear if he wasn't going to use pvp gear... I was told "his" gear was the best and I didn't know what I was talking about (can't help some people)... It was in pylons too and he died 16 times and blamed our healers for not keeping him alive... Sigh
He kept playing more matches and then we kept ending up on opposite teams... To prove my point I put on some old 156 PVE gear I had on an alt and followed him on my own Sorc... He was so easy to kill and did hardly any damage... He eventually accused me of hacking... After the match I chatted to him and explained how I was able to do that... He was still sceptical... I left him with the advise to at least test it out... Haven't seen him since... But I hope I was able to help him

I also have full Brutalizer gear for 4 toons and also 162 gear... I have tested different combinations like Randle did...
(For those who don't know, there is a bolster terminal on the bridge of the ops ship in the fleet,... You can go there and test you gear and even use the practice dummies)
After a lot of testing between my 162 PVE gear and Brutalizer gear... I now run with a mix of pieces... After I get my set bonuses
Definitely don't use pvp weapons or off hand... Get 162 PVE ones
Also Bio don't even stat all the Brutalizer gear properly for your class... An example of this is when there is too much Crit or Alacrity when you don't need it.. Ie Assassin/shadow Alacrity...
If you have some 162 PVE gear already, you can save comms and spend the extra ranked comms (only do it with ranked or you'll have to do it again for the Ranked ones) to buy ranked pvp mods and enhancements to get the stats right on those standard Brutalizer pieces... On my Shadow and Assassin I swapped the Alacrity ones for Surge... And some Crit mods for power

Just today I was "questioned/accused" on my augment choices because people don't look at stats... They look at gear... After trying to explain how I change out unwanted enhancements and mods... That I needed to boost some other stats in an augment... I was told I was wrong... I invited that person to examine my stats next time instead of my "gear"... Thankfully that solved "their issue" with "my" augment choices

The best advice I can give is to work out what final stats you want/should have for your class before you start your build... Make sure you have a minimum of 1900+ expertise from Bolster... Mine is 1936
Don't just accept the standard Bio Brutalizer gear if it gives you the wrong stats... You are better off running the proper stats in 162 PVE gear... Or swap the mods/enhancements like I do
Don't use pvp weapons
Do augment everything
Go to the fleet bolster terminal and play around with your gear
Get stims to use in matches


.

Culhaven's Avatar


Culhaven
08.25.2014 , 01:05 PM | #407
Not sure if this is invalid because I am only lvl 53, but here are some changes bolster made after I upgraded mods.

53 Guardian

All Makeb 140 mods before - Crafted 156 mods after (no other changes)

Expertise changed from 1936 to 1913

Health 27944 to 30203

Bonus Damage 773.6 to 769.3

Bladestorm max 3637 to 3628

So, after the upgrade everything went down except health.

*sorry, formatting got messed up

Icykill_'s Avatar


Icykill_
08.25.2014 , 10:45 PM | #408
Quote: Originally Posted by Culhaven View Post
Not sure if this is invalid because I am only lvl 53, but here are some changes bolster made after I upgraded mods.

53 Guardian

All Makeb 140 mods before - Crafted 156 mods after (no other changes)

Expertise changed from 1936 to 1913

Health 27944 to 30203

Bonus Damage 773.6 to 769.3

Bladestorm max 3637 to 3628

So, after the upgrade everything went down except health.

*sorry, formatting got messed up
Sorry I should have stated that is for lvl 55... Not pre 55
Pre 55 is more tricky as having the best gear you can get for your lvl can make you go backwards in stats... A bit like using 180 PVE gear at lvl 55
Also the closer you get to 55, the less bolster you seem to get


.

Culhaven's Avatar


Culhaven
08.27.2014 , 03:43 PM | #409
So, are you saying that the stats from using pve weapons more than make up having an expertise cap 82 points lower?

L-RANDLE's Avatar


L-RANDLE
08.27.2014 , 04:48 PM | #410
Quote: Originally Posted by Culhaven View Post
So, are you saying that the stats from using pve weapons more than make up having an expertise cap 82 points lower?
In some cases. The issue is the hits. The Forrce/Tech is higher in some PvE hilts, in addition to the Power/Main/END increase. The 82EXP is only about a 1% loss in damage from EXP, whereas the gain is around 4% in damage from those.

On a side note, weapon damage classes/specs should be using a PvE build like 72/69/58 because weapon damage is still broke.
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango