Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

She Who Battles Monsters: An Assassin's Tale

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
She Who Battles Monsters: An Assassin's Tale

Mirdthestrill
06.21.2014 , 02:00 AM | #61
Well, I'm a day or two later than I wanted to be with this post, but I hope I've made up for it by delivering what I believe is the longest ever update of SWBM, close to 3,000 words!

Also, this update contains a (probably not) long awaited moment: Kiarn meets up with the Sith Inquisitor story. At least, partially. As such, this one (and probably many, but not all future updates) will contain spoilers for that story, and quite probably other stories as well. I'll note when they come up.

Today's has mild spoilers for SI Korriban.

Part 29: Survival, pt. 4

Warning: May contain mildly disturbing images. If you got through SI Korriban, you should be fine

Spoiler
I <3 alts!

Mirdthestrill
06.28.2014 , 10:59 PM | #62
Please, please read the note at the end only AFTER you've read the fic. Thank you.

Part 30: Ruthlessness

Warning: Violance and disturbing images

Spoiler

Note:
Spoiler
I <3 alts!

Irongut
07.07.2014 , 10:56 AM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Mirdthestrill View Post
Also, a morbid curiosity compels me to ask you to comment your thoughts. Let me know what you thought!
I've just read the last two updates together and they were brilliant. My first character at launch was a Sorcerer so it has been a very long time since I went into the tomb of Naga Sadow but you really brought it alive. I'm a little disappointed Kiarn didn't wake the great Khem Val but you need to write your own story not copy Bioware's so that's fine.

The second update is even better. I love how you wrote Kiarn's realisation of what she is being asked to do and her moral dilemma. Very well written and not the least bit overly graphic, morbid or whatever. This is a violent setting so violence will happen. Keep it up.

I think my next alt is going to be an Assasin, the first time I will have repeated a class story, and you are to blame!
◄[|||||||█[☼]█[███████████████████████████████████)

Jokad
07.08.2014 , 11:34 AM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Mirdthestrill
Also, a morbid curiosity compels me to ask you to comment your thoughts. Let me know what you thought!
I’ve been following the whole story without commenting, but I really enjoyed it. Especially this last part. I just sat in front of my computer for a few minutes after I read this, staring at the screen and feeling sorry for Meiko and Kiarn. This scene was really moving.

And don’t feel bad about it. As a reader, I feel sad for Meiko, but as a writer, I encourage you to kill your characters (it’s something I have a problem with). But please don’t kill Kiarn...

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I enjoy the story and look forward to more.
Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

Mirdthestrill
07.12.2014 , 12:40 AM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by Irongut View Post
I think my next alt is going to be an Assasin, the first time I will have repeated a class story, and you are to blame!
Thank you! I'm really, really glad you're enjoying it and I feel very honored that my story is an inspiration.

I'm glad that that worked for everyone. I was a little worried, because a friend of mine did something similar and got a very negative reaction. However, he does admit that the universe he was writing for is much more idealistic, so a twist like that was kind of out of place. He also admits that he did it out of the blue because he couldn't think of any other way to end it.

Part of this weeks installment is cross-posted to the short-fiction weekly challenge thread (under a different title), but this one is longer and doesn't have spoilers edited out of it.

Pt. 31: Aftermath

Spoiler

Notes:

Spoiler
I <3 alts!

Irongut
07.14.2014 , 11:11 AM | #66
Another good read. I'm surprised so many acolytes survived the trials. I thought you were going to say there was only Kiarn left.

Spoiler
I agree. She almost purrs when she talks and it has the intended effect, I have trusted her far too much in the past.

frauzet
07.14.2014 , 01:23 PM | #67
Spoiler
Storyindex in chronological order

...From what I've tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire... (Frost)

Mirdthestrill
07.16.2014 , 10:31 PM | #68
Irongut, I hadn't considered only leaving Kiarn, that would have been an interesting twist! Although I feel like I'm already pushing the limits of plausibility with only ten. I'm sure the Empire loses many more than ten Sith every five years. My explanation for that is that is that there are other, smaller academies (I believe Ziost is referenced in cannon somewhere) and that not all Sith actually attend one of them, skipping directly to an apprenticeship instead. (Quillan very nearly did this, but ended up not for reasons I hope to get into later)

In a way, I agree with you about Zash. While I can recognize the warning signs OOC, if I was in Kiarn's place, I would just be relived that she treats me with something resembling decency. Of course, in her place, I would never have survived long enough to even make it to the academy, so...

Frauzet, glad to see you here. Yeah, friendly Sith always want something.

Part 32: Return to the Tomb

Spoiler
I <3 alts!

Mirdthestrill
07.31.2014 , 06:54 PM | #69
Sorry for disappearing again. As I said in the SFWC, summer is getting to me, and I've had writer's block.

Part 33: A Map for the Future

Spoiler
I <3 alts!

Irongut
08.07.2014 , 06:17 AM | #70
Sorry for disappearing again. As I said in the SFWC, summer is getting to me, and I've had writer's block.
It's worth the wait when you come up with a chapter as good as that. The Terentatek fight is great and I really like the way you describe the map.