Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Darthflation... or have we reached peak Darths?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Roleplaying
Darthflation... or have we reached peak Darths?

Hei_Atzfel
02.24.2014 , 09:58 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by Beltane View Post
It's fine and actually good RP that your character doesn't go to Korriban IC if she isn't a Sith, but I still feel it's incredibly rude/disruptive for PVPers to spam spatial and duel in one of the most prominent RP spots on a RP server. It would be like PVPers going to the Nar Shaddaa cantina and dueling on top of RPers. Anyone I see talking OOC in Korriban spatial gets put on ignore because it's an IC place to me.
I don't see how you can say it's rude for people to duel there. It happens to be one of the big social areas imp side, and besides, the vast majority of the dueling takes place on the steps so if it's so bothering people can just go inside the academy to RP. I've RP'd there in the past and the dueling/ OOC chatter never bothered me.
Elite Warlord Saeari Atzfel - Deception Assassin Baddie Extraordinaire
Xiøn - Infiltration Shadow Confirmed Scrublord
<Project Mayhem> <Pubs R Scrubs>
Undergeared Infiltration single-target DPS

Beltane
03.06.2014 , 09:32 AM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by Hei_Atzfel View Post
I don't see how you can say it's rude for people to duel there. It happens to be one of the big social areas imp side, and besides, the vast majority of the dueling takes place on the steps so if it's so bothering people can just go inside the academy to RP. I've RP'd there in the past and the dueling/ OOC chatter never bothered me.
It's a RP server. Like I said, it's fine for people to duel there, but I /ignore liberally when I see OOC spatial during my RP.

I certainly use Korriban for OOC duels but I don't speak OOC in spatial and I go somewhere out of the way.

Also, the rude factor comes in when a lot of people are RPing on the Korriban ramp/porch and all of a sudden the PVPers come in and start running around antagonizing RPers and griefing. Spamming force storm on top of RP and stuff like that. Bad form on a RP server.
--=[ Wrath of Korriban
Ebon Hawk | Heavy Sith RP
IG: Beltane

Hei_Atzfel
03.15.2014 , 07:28 AM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by Beltane View Post
It's a RP server. Like I said, it's fine for people to duel there, but I /ignore liberally when I see OOC spatial during my RP.

I certainly use Korriban for OOC duels but I don't speak OOC in spatial and I go somewhere out of the way.

Also, the rude factor comes in when a lot of people are RPing on the Korriban ramp/porch and all of a sudden the PVPers come in and start running around antagonizing RPers and griefing. Spamming force storm on top of RP and stuff like that. Bad form on a RP server.
Saying that the only people who grief RP'ers are PvP'ers is a tad bit narrow minded, wouldn't you say? But honestly, if you're going to RP in a completely public area that is frequented by large amounts of people, you are going to have other people doing other stuff, such as dueling and/or OOC chatter. Honestly you don't really have any right to consider it rude that they're talking OOC or dueling whilst you are RP'ing if you are doing said RP in one of the major social areas. That would be like going to the PvP vendors to RP and complaining that people are chatting in OOC and/or spamming GTAoE's. If you want to RP without people dueling or doing OOC chatter around you, then there's one simple solution. Take your RP somewhere where the general public won't get involved, because the steps to the Korriban academy is one of the worst areas to RP if you want others to not "interrupt" it. For instance, my guild does most of our RP's at the Nar Shaddaa GSI room, because it's rather secluded in the upper corner of the promenade and because people are barely ever there, so it makes a perfect spot to RP without any interruptions. Not saying that they never happen, but it's rare.
Elite Warlord Saeari Atzfel - Deception Assassin Baddie Extraordinaire
Xiøn - Infiltration Shadow Confirmed Scrublord
<Project Mayhem> <Pubs R Scrubs>
Undergeared Infiltration single-target DPS

sanctified
03.16.2014 , 01:08 AM | #84
I'm perfectly okay with Sith behaving foolishly, hanging out in Cantinas, and being generally contrary to their reputation. In the prequel and classic trilogy eras, there's a legendary aura of fearsome mystery attached to their name. In this era though, they're a vibrant living culture that hasn't finished their evolution. You shouldn't be upset with people for not behaving in a manner that they haven't even reached yet,

Besides, there's a reason this version of the empire eventually loses, and I'm willing to believe that a big part of it is the instability of its upper class, best exemplified by decadent attention seeking cantina stripper Dark Lords, and their angry, irrational male counterparts stalking the corridors of wherever they're at, demanding random strangers bow to them. The empire is a chaotic mess that will only get worse over time.
Playing since October 1st, 2011. Squad 238 for life.

Cruallassar
04.13.2014 , 02:19 PM | #85
In my opinion, having not read any of the posts over the last two pages, I consider the level important. Why? Two reasons. One, you should have the title before being able to rp as the title. My level 24 Sith Assassin will not be rping as a Lord until he gets the title Lord. My level 48 Jedi Sentinal could easily be passed off as a Master, but I do not intend to until I have the title to go with it.
The second reason is that you get a lot more options for appearance as a level 55 then as level 3. If you are going to rp as a Darth, at least look the part. If I ever meet a Sith Lord with my assassin before he gets that title, he will be bowing and saying "My Lord". Of course, that assumes a Lord will even notice him.
The third reason which I didn't mention, is if someone challenges my Sith Lord to a duel, he should at least be able to hit the other person. It would be rather embarrassing for a level 5 Darth to be defeated by a level 20 Apprentice.
It does take a bit of work to level up, my Jedi character is level 48 after about a month at least, but it should be worth it. And after all, it is easier then roleplaying to the rank, although possibly less fun.
Chi'vas Jihaldri: Dark Lord of the Jedi

Greywatch
04.15.2014 , 07:11 AM | #86
Honestly it's not the level that bothers me, it's the implied lack of experience.

Level should have absolutely no bearing on character power. However it is a signal showing how long that character has existed. A Darth should have influence, he should have Lords on his side, he should have apprentices, he should have reach. A level 18 character made 20 hours ago who has barely graced the surface of the RP community claiming to be a Darth feels off to me not because he's level eighteen, per se, but because his character doesn't have non-NPC influence with anybody.

That's not to say that a good, experienced roleplayer couldn't pull it off, but I'm unlikely to assume that the level 18 with emo hair named 'Darth Doomravagedeathslice' is the messiah of rational character development.

Uruare
06.24.2014 , 07:19 PM | #87
It's all situational for me. In general, I'm no pvp'er and don't even much care to text fight unless I have to because I suffer from the delusion that I'm here to play WITH others, not against them. Most of my RP winds up being things for others to play with or play off of, and while my characters ruin a gamut of relative power in various ways, they're all just cast members in stories I don't want to craft and tell all by myself.

So, even my crabby old Darth character That's Very powerful as a sith scholar and alchemist has substantive flaws to go along with that. He's arrogant, for example, and can be exploited by his intellectual pride. He's excessively conservative and something of a mistrustful micromanager that sabotages himself by alienating most of the good help and is really just a crabby old man that's insanely good at creative ways to kill things with the force. He's like a stereotypical mage in that he's deadly if he can get his abilities off, but he tends to go down with one punch to the head.

He exists to be a quest giver in RP, and to be my sorc healer in pve.

Then there's my hypercrass bh. He's essentially a psychopath with a honed obsession for explosions. If he can solve a problem by bloating it up, he typically will. There are few things he's considers to be problems that cannot be blown up. In terms of power, I RP him as being very good at what he does, though not perfect. He makes mistakes and sometimes winds up having to run away to live top fight another day, which has worked out for him so far. He's genuinely intelligent, though atypical for a psycho, not arrogant. His deadliest quality isn't his skill, it's his unending ease of patience and lack of concern for comfort. Some might be tougher or a better shot, but few are willing to go to the lengths he is for a good bomb and a chance to store chaos for its own sake.

He's mangy, not at all pretty for all his scars, is only good for long term planning if it involves explosions and lies to amuse himself. He's typically broke, or near to it, and often has to steal whatever he needs because he can't keep two credits. He'll buy matches just to watch them burn before he'll do something like save money.

Consequently, his RP equipment is typically unreliable and jury rigged. More often than not, he's needing to finda new shop to steal because he's somehow lost or destroyed his last (invariably stolen) vessel. The only friends be has, or deserves, are some people that like bringing him on jobs nobody else is stupid enough (in rp) to do.

They'll give him explosives and total leeway to use them. In return, he blows things up for them.

They're pretty sure he's insane (he mostly is) and think he's Hilarious (because they're mostly psychopaths too), so it works out.

Another of my RP chars is a bartender Droid that keeps evading memory wipes. That's all. Just a Droid that serves drinks arms has a sarcastic, bartendery personality. He's not capable of harming sentient beings per his programming, though he cam make your drink watery with a vengeance.
I'm the casual gamer with more money than time to burn. Loath me for it if you like.

Forum Moderators, I dedicate this to you. You poor, underappreciated sods.