Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to gear while leveling?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
How to gear while leveling?

NihilMada
06.14.2014 , 03:52 AM | #11
This has to be one of the most helpful boards I've seen here!
I've learned quite a few things that'll help me on other toons as well.
I feel ya OP! Similar build as you and I tend to have trouble managing a fight against mobs my level.
I've been focusing on watchmen quite a bit, specifically for the heals and group bonuses.

Kulyok
06.16.2014 , 12:29 AM | #12
The game gets MUCH easier if you follow these two rules:

- get a healer companion. If you don't have one yet, use Treek. If you don't have Treek, use a tank companion(the droid for the sentinel, Khem Val for the inquisitor, etc).
- don't go underlevelled. If the planet is level 28-32 and you're experiencing trouble at level 27, don't rush it. Do more quests, do the heroics, buy the experience boost on GTN(~15K), use your resting XP and kill a lot of strong mobs, and don't come to Alderaan until you're level 31. You'll be surprised how easy it'll be.

This is all assuming you're using orange gear with blue mods for your level, with your main stat, and your accuracy is as close to 100 as possible if you're a DPS(damage) class. I believe you're starting to get enhancements with accuracy around level 31++.
Free subscription for 7 days, extra inventory tab and more through Friends of SWTOR program, my link: http://www.swtor.com/r/kvLxZh

Fidelicatessen
06.16.2014 , 09:35 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by eldefail View Post
*snip
Noxxic.com might interest you as far as stat priority and possible talent builds go, as well.
*more stuff*
Please, PLEASE do not point newbies to Noxxic. Read Dulfy for tips on builds. Even Dulfy is wrong some of the time, but Noxxic is a nightmare of misinformation and articles that read as if they were written by someone who doesn't even play the game.

To the OP: if your gear is correct and up-to-date and you have a semi-decent rotation, overleveling is your ticket to greatness. Just do a whole bunch of FPs or WZs to overlevel yourself (or go back and do side quests/bonus series on previous worlds). Get yourself AT LEAST 4 levels over the missions you're doing and you will breeze through this stuff.

AlrikFassbauer
06.17.2014 , 11:37 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Kulyok View Post
- get a healer companion. If you don't have one yet, use Treek. If you don't have Treek, use a tank companion(the droid for the sentinel, Khem Val for the inquisitor, etc).
Well, that's not always necessary, I believe, although I admit that it makes questing much easier.

Why ? Because it's a race.

The race is like this :

- Can I damage the enemy faster than he does damage my character ?
- Can my healer "outheal" the damage my character takes so that I can do so much more damage on the enemy until he or she or it is defeated ?
- Can 2 characters (companion + own character) damage the enemy so fast that he is taking so much more damage than my character and my companion take ?

In the end it boils down to this :

Who is faster ? Who wins the race ? The enemy or me ?
<S-key to victory> Because quad wheel is always better than dual wheel.

Khevar
06.17.2014 , 04:21 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
In the end it boils down to this :

Who is faster ? Who wins the race ? The enemy or me ?
That's an excellent description of the variables of combat, actually.

Whoever finishes first in the race between damage, health and healing wins.

Kulyok
06.18.2014 , 01:06 AM | #16
To me the question stands like this: if I don't have a healing companion, I can only heal once with my medpac/med unit, and then I only have my defensive cooldowns. Will it be enough? In other words, will the enemy deal more damage to me than my hp+medpac (*mitigation coefficient - very slight, since I play DPS classes)?

Usually the answer is yes(or "no, but you'll spend a good deal regenerating after each battle"). And this "yes" becomes "YES" if the player is not very experienced and is not outlevelling content(i.e. a dps Powertech level 27 on Alderaan with Gault instead of Mako, for example). I'm thinking he's in for some tough times.
Free subscription for 7 days, extra inventory tab and more through Friends of SWTOR program, my link: http://www.swtor.com/r/kvLxZh