Maintenance: June 13th, 2014

ServerDroid

On June 13th, all game servers will be unavailable as we perform maintenance. Patch 2.8a will be implemented during this downtime. Details are as follows:

Date: Friday June 13th

Duration: 2 hours

Time: 3AM PDT (10AM GMT) - 5AM PDT (12PM GMT)

Thank you for your patience as we maintain service for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Edited by AmberGreen

Well I was using group finder because I thought those were very nice changes for 16m operations. Sure it might take a while to match up a group during non-peak hours, ~2 hours for me as a healer, but some people only want to do sm ops if it's 16m.

With this change you're making tomorrow there's essentially no difference in doing 8m or 16m full runs because the daily on a 8m group makes up for lack of ult coms on the bosses, oh and 16m is easier because you have an extra 20% dps. Oh well, back to yelling on fleet for 16m ops.

Why not give us the option or make it dynamic according to how many are queued up? Or maybe perhaps ignoring peoples ignore list for 16m and let us just not listen to the idiots we have on ignore

Is it safe to assume that since GF SM Ops queue is being reverted to 8man SM Ops, the rotating SM Ops and associated ultimate comms will now be gone as well?

If that is the case, its a shame, It was a very good idea, and looked to be fairly popular on Harbinger. Would it be too far to assume that down the track, once the infrastructure has been upgraded, this feature would be revisited?

I live in Australia, this will be 8pm Friday night for me. Why do scheduled maintenance at any point at all around the weekend?

I was really looking forward to playing as I just re-downloaded this game after a two year break.

I stopped playing originally because the game seemed to be down for maintenance way more than any other game I've played.

I haven't been able to play for three days out of my first week back into it. Normal scheduled Tuesday maintenance, then an error that wouldn't allow me to log in for most of the day on Wednesday, now tonight!

Friday night games that my mates and I were looking forward to will be rudely interrupted for at least two hours at 8pm!

Was hoping things might have changed. Is this kind of thing still happening very often?

I live in Australia, this will be 8pm Friday night for me. Why do scheduled maintenance at any point at all around the weekend?

I was really looking forward to playing as I just re-downloaded this game after a two year break.

I stopped playing originally because the game seemed to be down for maintenance way more than any other game I've played.

I haven't been able to play for three days out of my first week back into it. Normal scheduled Tuesday maintenance, then an error that wouldn't allow me to log in for most of the day on Wednesday, now tonight!

Friday night games that my mates and I were looking forward to will be rudely interrupted for at least two hours at 8pm!

Was hoping things might have changed. Is this kind of thing still happening very often?

No, not often. Not anymore.

I hope you beef up your servers before GSH and 3.0

With the added features and increased load generated by returning players, we'll see how scalable your megaservers are.

Edited by Projawa

This is an emergency patch more or less...

I really hope they fix up the servers.. one of the features to 2.8 was to have 16m ops que.. but they are turning it back to 8m, so basically 2.8 didnt have much in the update, and in the future, 16m ops que will be added to a patch to fill in for "new content" later on.

Group Finder’s Operation queue has been set to 8-Player (down from 16-Player) in order to decrease server load and resolve widespread connectivity and instancing issues.

So it wasn't a bug in the code that caused all this mess, it was a feature.

And if it is because the grouping algorithm had high order complexity (as a outlined in another thread, it could be as bad as N! complexity) and therefore consumed a lot more resources the more people joined the queue, I can see why maybe nothing but running it on a fully-loaded server would reveal it.

Myself, I didn't take a course in algorithmic complexity until I was a computer science grad student. So I would not be surprised to find that if you ask most coders, even good one, to write you, say, a sort algorithm for a large data set with no worse the Order(n log n) temporal complexity that you might find you might as well be speaking as well be speaking ancient Sumerian, because they won't have a clue what you mean or how to code it. So, because many coders don't know much about algorithmic complexity, they do not choose algorithms with it in mind. And the result can be code that is good code and does well on small data sets, but slows everything to a crawl when the data set gets big.

If that's what we have here - an algorithm that didn't scale well - then BW may need to get someone to look at it and recode it, from scratch, using a new algorithm. I wouldn't expect a task like that to be spec'd, coded, unit-tested, integrated, and tested on a test server for at least a couple of patch cycles - 5.5 weeks, at best. But it can be done. Will they? I cannot say.

Speculation on my part? Absolutely, I have no inside info. Take it for what it is worth.

Simple. Remove OPS Queue

We don't use it. We still pug them. Vey few used them except for the bonus comms. That's all.

The groups suffered even with bolster. The 4 DF runs today were the worst I've had. The 4 S&V runs I had were rancid. These were all GF just to test it out. We had to explain fights. It's SM. Things took longer than expected even with out wipes. Everything was NEEDed. We do not see this with pugs. We had people drop after the weekly still. We had people drop due too the runs taking too long.

GROUP FINDER for OPERATIONS are not needed. Mostly unwanted. Added code that clearly bogged down the servers.

Get rid of them instead of putting a band-aide on the leaky pipe.

Simple. Remove OPS Queue ...

The groups suffered even with bolster. The 4 DF runs today were the worst I've had.

In contrast, the GF S&V I did yesterday and the GF DF I did today ran fast, smooth, and without a single wipe.

On Harbinger, Imp side. (However, I've heard from others that Pub side raiding on Harbinger is a wipe fest.)

Simple. Remove OPS Queue

We don't use it. We still pug them. Vey few used them except for the bonus comms. That's all.

The groups suffered even with bolster. The 4 DF runs today were the worst I've had. The 4 S&V runs I had were rancid. These were all GF just to test it out. We had to explain fights. It's SM. Things took longer than expected even with out wipes. Everything was NEEDed. We do not see this with pugs. We had people drop after the weekly still. We had people drop due too the runs taking too long.

GROUP FINDER for OPERATIONS are not needed. Mostly unwanted. Added code that clearly bogged down the servers.

Get rid of them instead of putting a band-aide on the leaky pipe.

I disagree, i queued for s&v on both republic and imperial on red eclipse, and it was most definitely something people wanted to use. My runs in that raid were very smooth, had one wipe on a boss across both runs which is very good for a pug group.

As for having to explain tactics, that's something you deal with using group finder be it ops or flashpoints, you join that way you gotta expect it to be needed and the odd wipe to happen. Plus with people staying till the end for the 30 comms i was finally able to clear the stand alone quest out of my log on both side mains and sell the rewards from it for a nice sum.

Very few used the old system with 10 comm reward that's true, but you cannot say that the new system is not wanted. For one 3 days is not a long enough sample time to determine that, and secondly i doubt you play fully on every server so you have no way of saying that few people are interested. From chat on the fleet on my server it was definitely something a lot of people wanted to run.

On the everything needed issue, in one of the runs we had a couple of ninja looters needing on everything, they were asked to stop, one did the other did not and got kicked. You got people ninja looting kick em peoblem solved. You got everyone need rolling on everything, well that happens sometimes in group finder, again it is something that you should expect, don't like it don't run it.

Personally i am glad for this feature, as my work schedule and other responsibility's make it hard to do organized raiding and next to impossible to cap my elites and ults on my mains, and was glad the increased comms increased interest in it. I am hoping that with it still being 30 for the 8man that it still holds interest for people as this opened up the way for me to experience content that was hard for me to schedule rather easy. Even if the comm rewards from the boss go down to 8man i will still run them.

You obviously do not like it through group finder. Fair does no feature is going to be liked by all the player base, just continue to do ops the way you did before this came in, and leave us that want group finder method to use it.

Edited by Rusah

Does this mean we now have to choose betweeen the 4 Ultimate comms per boss or the 30 Ultimate comms from the final boss? Shame, because I, for one, had positive experience only with the 16man group finder.

Nobody is sure right now, there have been dev posts saying the rewards are the same, but it is unclear if that is the 30 comms only or the loot drops as well.

If a dev reads this could we get clarification on the boss comm drops in 8man group finder. From what i have seen on forums and in-game chats a lot of people are confused.

well if its 8 person OPS ,I will be skipping it,I skip normal 8 person OPS,for the simple reason ,I not a good enough player.16 i can do a passable team play 8 is not forgiving enough for mistakes, so as not to mess up for the other 7 players i skip these. used the gf 2 times one i left after weekly one finished

You're taking the game down for 2 hours for only 2 tweaks? What a waste of time. I guess I'll have to wait until next week to raid. That's ok, Wildstar is kicking your butts anyway.

Wildstar will not appeal to all. Personally I think its a kiddie cartoony bag of *****. But some will like it.

Also many of the bugs were caused by server instability - which has been addressed.

Edited by Byrglebump

What??? 16M down?? where do you think i am going to get ultimate comms? I'm not top and any HM ops is enough for me, so im playing only 16m sm... and with those runs.. i went SaV on Nadd and it was awesome.. no wipe, only one person died throughout the whole run...