Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How important is optimisation of your classes' companion skills for crafting?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
How important is optimisation of your classes' companion skills for crafting?

Aresnar
06.06.2014 , 03:22 AM | #1
How important is picking the appropriate class skill for your class in SWTOR ? Both while levelling and especially at end game?

This is especially true with the new companions that are now available to all classes.

Main reason why I am asking is that I am levelling a Sith Warrior and want for RP reasons to focus on Artifice (Come on, warriors should make Lightsabers) while all guides state that my best choice is synthweaving but will I be really hosing myself in crafting at end game if I do this?

Y-Yorle
06.06.2014 , 04:26 AM | #2
If you really want to get the absolute most out of crafting, then yes, Synthweaving is the most optimal because some companions have better bonusses for this (Jaesa has a +5 critical bonus on synthweaving for example). But apart from that it shouldn't matter incredibly much and you should do what you want on your warrior really.
Valenth Guiran
Biochemist | Diplomat | Guardian
The Kestrel Minority @ The Progenitor (EU), Republic, Light RP
Heliste | Pyron | K'rdas | Elendus | Judia | Pretho | Nirav

wainot-keel
06.06.2014 , 09:07 AM | #3
Still, in this particular case, Synthweaving is not THAT important to have it on your warrior, since you can buy a legacy sensor droid (for the ship droid) that has the same bonus (+5) as Jaesa.

An Inquisitor perhaps would be better for Synthweaving, with Talos provinding +5 crit to Archeology and Andronikos with a +2 to Underworld Trading (and ship droid with +5 to synth ofc)

ScarletBlaze
06.06.2014 , 09:36 AM | #4
If you have the repair droid there are items in there you can purchase for your specific crafting and put on the ship droid that will help crafting. There are ones for every crafting skill.

In addition, treek and hk are given bonuses for crafting, and they are for any crafting, no specific crafting and no specific missions skills.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

psandak
06.06.2014 , 10:40 AM | #5
It is purely a personal preference thing. There are several "priorities" when choosing crew skills. One of which is companion bonus optimization. Optimization does not HAVE to be your #1 priority

NightEngine
06.06.2014 , 12:58 PM | #6
I don't think it should matter overmuch. The bonuses only means it takes less time and funds to get better schematics, in the end.
"My craft is death."
Darth Rubric, Sith Marauder

eartharioch
06.06.2014 , 01:08 PM | #7
No companions have an Artifice-specific critical bonus (HK and Treek get +1 to everything), so you aren't gimping yourself by making your SW an artificer -- i.e., no other class can do it better (or worse) than the SW.

Both the Jedi Knight and SW have companions with +5 to synthweaving, but as mentioned, anybody can buy a +5 synthweaving sensor for the ship droid, which means the second +5 bonus doesn't really matter unless you are so busy making synthweaving products (basically augments and augment kits) that you make more than 5 at a time.

So, if you are interested in having a char with 2x +5s to synthweaving, you can do so without having to make a second SW, and if 1x +5 is ok, than any class can give that to you.
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!

Kernel_Cinders
06.06.2014 , 02:32 PM | #8
Artifice is a great choice for the Sith Warrior because of Vette as she has a +5 critical mission bonus for Treasure Hunting which has missions that give you blue and purple gems to make nice stuff using the Artifice skill.

Nazdika
06.06.2014 , 10:26 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by NightEngine View Post
I don't think it should matter overmuch. The bonuses only means it takes less time and funds to get better schematics, in the end.
A crit happening in any craft means either an augment slot added, or the item made double with the same resources. For end-game items of cybertech, artifice, and biochem that can mean several million credits income additionally. A +5% chance to crit means just that, your odds to crit in the crafting process are 5% higher. For a synthweaver the additional items crafted are not as valuable, so it matters way less. As others said no companion has a crit bonus on artifice specifically, so I just let HK or Treek craft there. But anyway, even if you find out at end-game that your warrior should rather craft something else, at that level the credits come rather fast. So learning another craft is not a big deal.

AlixMV
06.12.2014 , 04:39 PM | #10
If you're talking about 'crafting at endgame', by which I interpret it as 'stuff you might craft at endgame', then Artifice would be much preferred over Synthweaving.

Why? Because an Artificer running endgame content has the potential to be able to reverse engineer gear that drops in HM 55 FPs and Level 55 Operations, such as Hilts, Enhancements, and Relics, while a Synthweaver can do bupkis. (Or Augs. That's it.)

I have Artifice on my Sith Warrior--in addition to Vette's +5 Crit, I have a Sensor on Toovee to get another +2 Treasure Hunting Crit on him, Jaesa additionally has an Efficiency to Archaeology, and I have HK-51 doing the crafting (max'ed out Affection). My only regret is that I don't run endgame with her, meaning I don't have a crack at RE'ing the gear mentioned above. :P
~ Jedi Covenant ~
Sollyni ~ Brixyl / Serateh ~ Ydris