Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Companion Roles: Which Role for Which Specs?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Companion Roles: Which Role for Which Specs?

Gaff
12.22.2011 , 08:04 PM | #1
Been having a hard time trying to figure out which companions compliment which specs the best. We have a Ranged Tank, Melee Tank, Healer, Ranged DPS, and Melee DPS.

On the surface though it seems that you would either go with a Melee Tank or Healer. When are the other companion roles used?
"You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

sKyloo
12.24.2011 , 07:24 AM | #2
Ranged Tanks are not for real... Vanguards still have to be in melee range for some spells, or in 10m range!

I use a healer companion Elara Dorne with great success.

Guurzak
12.24.2011 , 09:06 AM | #3
Obviously its going to depend on your spec, the specs of your groupmmates if any, and the difficulty of the encounters you're facing. If you're specced as a tank (this is the tanking forum) then the one role you probably don't need from your companion is another tank: healing or dps seem much more likely. Choosing a healing companion means you kill slower but are able to survive more difficult encounters; a dps companion is for quickly wiping up easier fare.

MrSteak
12.25.2011 , 01:52 PM | #4
I'm only up to lv 24 so far, but I've only used Khem Val as an extra health bar as a tank specc'd assassin. It's worked so far, but I think I'll need to change him out before too long.