Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I need help on where to start reading.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
I need help on where to start reading.

Slecnaztemnot
05.28.2014 , 06:09 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Orcjedi View Post
Wow so many lol.. from all those mentioned..could u tell me wich one is best to read first..
Well, as almost everyone said, the best book to read first is probably the Thrawn trilogy, the first book is called Heir to the Empire.

Orcjedi
05.28.2014 , 07:14 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Slecnaztemnot View Post
Well, as almost everyone said, the best book to read first is probably the Thrawn trilogy, the first book is called Heir to the Empire.
Ok.. guess thats gonna be my first one.. ty.

Kremsau
05.28.2014 , 08:24 PM | #13
Don't read Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void it's an awful way to start off.

If you want to get into the mix, in regards to this game in particular, I'd advise starting with the Old Republic novels. I'm sure they aren't the best but it was nice to stay in the same era as the game (which had consumed my life at the time I decided to start reading)

While, for the most part, the novels don't tie into the game you will find some familiar characters along the way. Admittedly they are few and far between. If you want to see a nice precursor to the game, the Revan novel is nice and it's got a-plenty of references to KotOR.
Harbinger:
Kremsau - 55 Sentinel & Ergus - 45 Vanguard
Kodamy - 55 Sniper & Maalis - 30 Sith Warrior

Orcjedi
05.29.2014 , 04:16 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Kremsau View Post
Don't read Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void it's an awful way to start off.

If you want to get into the mix, in regards to this game in particular, I'd advise starting with the Old Republic novels. I'm sure they aren't the best but it was nice to stay in the same era as the game (which had consumed my life at the time I decided to start reading)

While, for the most part, the novels don't tie into the game you will find some familiar characters along the way. Admittedly they are few and far between. If you want to see a nice precursor to the game, the Revan novel is nice and it's got a-plenty of references to KotOR.
Ok.. i wanna read old republic too since im playing the game (wich i love) lol.. so u recommend me to start with the revan book?

Kremsau
05.29.2014 , 04:34 PM | #15
I do, it's a nice refresher on the lore and it fills in the gap between Knights of the Old Republic 2 and SWTOR.

From there, the Star Wars books all contain a timeline on the first couple of pages that help to keep track of which book to read next.

- - - - - - -

I know Red Harvest occurs in the timeline between two of the Old Republic novels. It's a side story that, as far as I know, doesn't affect the game at all. It's kind-of a zombie horror novel in the Star Wars universe, wasn't my favorite but it was fun. I'd love to see it one day tie into the game.
Harbinger:
Kremsau - 55 Sentinel & Ergus - 45 Vanguard
Kodamy - 55 Sniper & Maalis - 30 Sith Warrior

DarthDymond
05.29.2014 , 07:36 PM | #16
Ok.. i wanna read old republic too since im playing the game (wich i love) lol.. so u recommend me to start with the revan book?
Another good place to start with the Old Republic timeline is the Tales of the Jedi comics, they start well before the timeframe of the game, but a lot of elements from them set the background for it (e.g. the Empire in this game is a continuation of the Sith Empire from Golden Age of the Sith and Fall of the Sith Empire).

If you're someone who likes going chronologically I would read in this order:
  1. Tales of the Jedi: Golden Age of the Sith comic miniseries
  2. TotJ: Fall of the Sith Empire comic miniseries
  3. TotJ: Knights of the Old Republic comic miniseries
  4. TotJ: Dark Lords of the Sith comic miniseries
  5. TotJ: The Sith War comic miniseries
  6. TotJ: Redemption comic miniseries
  7. Knights of the Old Republic (the Zayne Carack series) comic series and Knights of the Old Republic: War comic miniseries
  8. The Old Republic: Blood of the Empire comic miniseries
  9. The Old Republic: Threat of Peace comic miniseries
  10. The Old Republic: Lost Suns comic miniseries
  11. The Old Republic: Revan novel
  12. The Old Republic: Deceived novel
  13. The Old Republic: Annihilation novel

If you want, you could throw in the novels The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance and Red Harvest between Deceived and Annihilation, but you really wouldn't be missing out on much if you skipped those two.

If you're not into comics though, then I agree that Revan would be a good starting point.
Given the choice whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the fates for another throw, a better throw, against one's destiny, what was a king to do?
But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
~Kain

Orcjedi
06.02.2014 , 08:28 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
Another good place to start with the Old Republic timeline is the Tales of the Jedi comics, they start well before the timeframe of the game, but a lot of elements from them set the background for it (e.g. the Empire in this game is a continuation of the Sith Empire from Golden Age of the Sith and Fall of the Sith Empire).

If you're someone who likes going chronologically I would read in this order:
  1. Tales of the Jedi: Golden Age of the Sith comic miniseries
  2. TotJ: Fall of the Sith Empire comic miniseries
  3. TotJ: Knights of the Old Republic comic miniseries
  4. TotJ: Dark Lords of the Sith comic miniseries
  5. TotJ: The Sith War comic miniseries
  6. TotJ: Redemption comic miniseries
  7. Knights of the Old Republic (the Zayne Carack series) comic series and Knights of the Old Republic: War comic miniseries
  8. The Old Republic: Blood of the Empire comic miniseries
  9. The Old Republic: Threat of Peace comic miniseries
  10. The Old Republic: Lost Suns comic miniseries
  11. The Old Republic: Revan novel
  12. The Old Republic: Deceived novel
  13. The Old Republic: Annihilation novel

If you want, you could throw in the novels The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance and Red Harvest between Deceived and Annihilation, but you really wouldn't be missing out on much if you skipped those two.

If you're not into comics though, then I agree that Revan would be a good starting point.
I like comics too.. but how would i find all those comics u mention?

DarthDymond
06.02.2014 , 11:04 PM | #18
I like comics too.. but how would i find all those comics u mention?
Each of the seven Tales of the Jedi miniseries (I accidentally left out The Freedon Nadd Uprising miniseries in my earlier list) was collected in its own trade paperback, but they were also all compiled into two large Omnibus volumes that Dark Horse put out a few years back:
Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi Volume One
Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi Volume Two

Similarly, the Knights of the Old Republic series was collected into 10 trade paperbacks (the regular series was collected in volumes 1-9 and the War miniseries was collected as volume 10), and also in three Omnibus volumes:
Omnibus: Knights of the Old Republic Volume One
Omnibus: Knights of the Old Republic Volume Two
Omnibus: Knights of the Old Republic Volume Three

All things being equal, I would suggest tracking down the Omnibus Volumes for both series, either through local comic shops or through sites like eBay or Amazon.com. I think the Omnibus Volumes are actually available through Amazon's Kindle service now, which would probably be waaaaay cheaper than getting the hard-copies.

Just be aware, the Omnibus books are smaller page sizes than standard comics/trade paperbacks; everything is still there, the pages are just shrunk down slightly. If that rubs you the wrong way, the Kindle versions or the trade paperbacks would be a better bet.

I actually first read all the Tales series when I was young because my local library system had copies, so that might also be worth checking out as an option if you don't mind borrowing instead of buying.

The three The Old Republic miniseries are all out in Trade Paperbacks now, and I think they can be ordered through Dark Horse's website in addition to other outlets like Amazon.

EDIT: I was curious so I checked on Dark Horse comics' website, all of the Omnibus volumes can also be ordered online through their website except for Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi Volume One. Just use the search option and punch in "Star Wars Omnibus" and you'll see them all.
Given the choice whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the fates for another throw, a better throw, against one's destiny, what was a king to do?
But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
~Kain

Orcjedi
06.03.2014 , 01:31 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
Each of the seven Tales of the Jedi miniseries (I accidentally left out The Freedon Nadd Uprising miniseries in my earlier list) was collected in its own trade paperback, but they were also all compiled into two large Omnibus volumes that Dark Horse put out a few years back:
Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi Volume One
Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi Volume Two

Similarly, the Knights of the Old Republic series was collected into 10 trade paperbacks (the regular series was collected in volumes 1-9 and the War miniseries was collected as volume 10), and also in three Omnibus volumes:
Omnibus: Knights of the Old Republic Volume One
Omnibus: Knights of the Old Republic Volume Two
Omnibus: Knights of the Old Republic Volume Three

All things being equal, I would suggest tracking down the Omnibus Volumes for both series, either through local comic shops or through sites like eBay or Amazon.com. I think the Omnibus Volumes are actually available through Amazon's Kindle service now, which would probably be waaaaay cheaper than getting the hard-copies.

Just be aware, the Omnibus books are smaller page sizes than standard comics/trade paperbacks; everything is still there, the pages are just shrunk down slightly. If that rubs you the wrong way, the Kindle versions or the trade paperbacks would be a better bet.

I actually first read all the Tales series when I was young because my local library system had copies, so that might also be worth checking out as an option if you don't mind borrowing instead of buying.

The three The Old Republic miniseries are all out in Trade Paperbacks now, and I think they can be ordered through Dark Horse's website in addition to other outlets like Amazon.

EDIT: I was curious so I checked on Dark Horse comics' website, all of the Omnibus volumes can also be ordered online through their website except for Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi Volume One. Just use the search option and punch in "Star Wars Omnibus" and you'll see them all.
ty!! may the darkside of the force be with you!! and get u endless cookies lol

Beniboybling
06.03.2014 , 06:52 AM | #20
If you want to go chronological I would as others have suggested start with the Old Republic era, its the second earliest publishing era before the Before the Republic era which really has nothing much going for it aside from Dawn of the Jedi which apparently isn't all that great.

So yes, the Old Republic era, starting with the comics:

Tales of the Jedi comics
Knights of the Old Republic comics

Then dip into to the SWTOR books:

The Old Republic: Revan
The Old Republic: Deceived
The Old Republic: Annihilation

Also if you can try and track down the Threat of Peace webcomic, which is about the Treaty of Coruscant and worth a read, it also looks at the back stories of several characters who appear in game.

After that I'd suggest the Bane Trilogy:

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction
Darth Bane: Rule of Two
Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil

It acts as a bridge between the Old Republic and Rise of the Empire era and like all the previous suggests catalogs a major turning point in galactic history, its also an excellent set of books.

Next I'd suggest Darth Plagueis, which ties in with Darth Bane (start of the Rule of Two to the end) and makes references to the Old Republic era so again its a nice tie in, and basically Episode 0 of the movies.

After that I suggest:

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
Labyrinth of Evil

Which both cover key events in the Clone Wars. After that:

Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader

And depending on how long it takes for you to read these, you might be able to throw in:

Tarkin [Nov 2014]
Lords of the Sith [March 2015]

Then you can follow up with the Thrawn Trilogy and the other post-ROTJ suggestions. But honestly if you are already somewhat well versed in Star Wars, and want to move chronologically, I'd do it this way. I'd also controversially suggest you hold on reading the post-ROTJ, its going to all be rendered non-canon and the entire timeline will be rebooted, it might be better to wait for the new movies, then move forward with books released around them.