Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Kwerty's Tactics Vanguard Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Kwerty's Tactics Vanguard Guide

TACeMossie
05.27.2014 , 05:32 AM | #1
The guide has been relocated! Go here to find it!

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7660471

(It has pictures )

battkg
05.27.2014 , 03:01 PM | #2
If you actually plan to use mortar volley in a rotation against a raid boss, I suggest moving your filler phase after pulse cannon so that the time spent channeling pulse cannon can be spent aiming mortar volley.

TACeMossie
05.27.2014 , 04:06 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by battkg View Post
If you actually plan to use mortar volley in a rotation against a raid boss, I suggest moving your filler phase after pulse cannon so that the time spent channeling pulse cannon can be spent aiming mortar volley.
The issue with that is if you have to follow up the pulse cannon with a stockstrike (which ends up happening every time mortar volley is off cooldown), one of them would need to be delayed, which drops DPS. Its why I recommended the Ion Pulse just before the double filler - it lets you fall back to 5 meters while backpedalling so you can just double-tap the mortar volley button to auto-aim it. However, said Ion Pulse can be swapped with High Impact Bolt if you are paranoid about the DoT falling off

battkg
05.27.2014 , 06:27 PM | #4
I don't require a high impact bolt at the end of the rotation, so I have my abilities in a different order

This is the one I use
G PC PC MV MV FP SS HiB IP IP
G PC PC SS IP FP HS HiB IP SS
G PC PC IP HS FP SS HiB IP HS

TACeMossie
05.27.2014 , 07:01 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by battkg View Post
I don't require a high impact bolt at the end of the rotation, so I have my abilities in a different order

This is the one I use
G PC PC MV MV FP SS HiB IP IP
G PC PC IP HS FP SS HiB IP HS
There it is. It was your parse that got me to look into including mortar volley for tactics and realised it was a DPS increase. I couldn't find how to fit stockstrike 3 times every 30 seconds while including mortar volley on cooldown without the bad priority above (I was looking at it wrong). Thats a much better rotation priority so Ill fix it up.

TACeMossie
05.28.2014 , 04:56 AM | #6
I have updated the gearing section of the OP to provide more info on gearing for AoE situations, as multiple AoE attacks make up a majority of the damage of the spec.

drummerinthesun
05.30.2014 , 11:17 AM | #7
TAC, I love your posts, man. One thing I think you could add to your gearing section in both guides is what to swap out for the optimal crit rating for both Tactics and Assault for players that want the best spec per fight. Sentinels switch out an earpiece and a enhancement for accuracy, for example, when switching between Combat and other specs. Or perhaps find a happy medium between the two? Say above 200 but below 300?
55 Darkness Assassin - Cai'us, The Shadowlands
55 Vengeance Juggernaut- Ca'ius, The Shadowlands
OMEGA

JaredBartok
05.30.2014 , 01:20 PM | #8
I'm loving the clean 4 block rotation that includes MV, but I have a few questions on implementation.

1) Per my calculations and experimentation, this doesn't seem to be heat neutral rotation. Even with the heat reduction cooldowns, I'm running into heat issues after about 500K damage from this rotation. Am I doing it wrong and this should be sustainable with good execution and proper use of cooldowns? If I am not screwing it up somehow, how do you/would you guys adjust the rotation? There aren't any extra IPs to replace with HS, so the only options I see that would help would be to replace MV or the occasional HiB (or unprocced SS?) with HS. I'm leaning towards skipping every other MV.

2) Since this spec is mostly used in PVE raids for AOE fights with adds, do you change the rotation for more AOE when adds are up? Perhaps by replacing HiB with Explosive Dart (sorry for PT term) when one or more additional targets are in range? Even with the HiB auto crit and armor pen, ED should still do more damage than HiB and adding it is heat neutral I think. if I assume flame sweep is too heat intensive and rotation disruptive to use even with many adds up, right?

Thanks!

drummerinthesun
05.30.2014 , 01:32 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by JaredBartok View Post
I'm loving the clean 4 block rotation that includes MV, but I have a few questions on implementation.

1) Per my calculations and experimentation, this doesn't seem to be heat neutral rotation. Even with the heat reduction cooldowns, I'm running into heat issues after about 500K damage from this rotation. Am I doing it wrong and this should be sustainable with good execution and proper use of cooldowns? If I am not screwing it up somehow, how do you/would you guys adjust the rotation? There aren't any extra IPs to replace with HS, so the only options I see that would help would be to replace MV or the occasional HiB (or unprocced SS?) with HS. I'm leaning towards skipping every other MV.

2) Since this spec is mostly used in PVE raids for AOE fights with adds, do you change the rotation for more AOE when adds are up? Perhaps by replacing HiB with Explosive Dart (sorry for PT term) when one or more additional targets are in range? Even with the HiB auto crit and armor pen, ED should still do more damage than HiB and adding it is heat neutral I think. if I assume flame sweep is too heat intensive and rotation disruptive to use even with many adds up, right?

Thanks!
You have to remember that VG/PT get better ammo/heat management with AOE damage from actual raids (similar to Focus generation for Vig Guardians). You will perform better during an actual boss fight, so as long as you've got the optimal rotation down for this spec, you'll most likely be able to pull it off in a raid scenario, especially if you're doing fine with resource management for the first 500k damage. I can understand wanting to have a sustainable rotation on the dummy as well. You could break down the parse he posted in the guide and follow it in 15 second increments to see when he substitutes HS in for other abilities.
55 Darkness Assassin - Cai'us, The Shadowlands
55 Vengeance Juggernaut- Ca'ius, The Shadowlands
OMEGA

TACeMossie
05.30.2014 , 04:19 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by drummerinthesun View Post
You have to remember that VG/PT get better ammo/heat management with AOE damage from actual raids (similar to Focus generation for Vig Guardians). You will perform better during an actual boss fight, so as long as you've got the optimal rotation down for this spec, you'll most likely be able to pull it off in a raid scenario, especially if you're doing fine with resource management for the first 500k damage. I can understand wanting to have a sustainable rotation on the dummy as well. You could break down the parse he posted in the guide and follow it in 15 second increments to see when he substitutes HS in for other abilities.
Im actuallr replacing said parse soon-ish (It was a terrible parse where lag screwed with me). For now, Battkt's parse on the leaderboard would be what to look at, as it was his parse that got me using mortar volley in my tactics rotation, and its his rotation I put in the guide