Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"The Farce is strong with this one" (Ion Missile)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
"The Farce is strong with this one" (Ion Missile)

Verain
05.19.2014 , 09:19 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
Second: Ion Missile. Is there a more worthless component in the game?
Yes, of course. A solid example is Fortress Shield and Feedback Shield. I would argue that EMP missile is also more worthless, and Rapids compete.

Quote:
The biggest (but not only) reason why it's useless? Its overly long cooldown. Compared to its "sibling" Concussion Missile, whose cooldown is a modest 5.5 seconds, Ion Missile has a 11 second cooldown! The same as a Proton Torpedo. You'd think that would mean the Ion Missile must be pretty awesome to hit with, if we can only fire it every 13.6 seconds.
This is entirely correct. Your post could have ended here. Instead, your anger consumes you, and seized by the dark side of the farce you are.

Quote:
Dare we even compare this to an Ion Railgun? Some have said, "No you can't compare railguns and missiles, because unlike a railgun, you can lock on with missiles while also shooting your primary lasers."
Railguns also are only on the gunship frame, etc. There's really no comparison, because they root you in place.

Quote:
That is a valid argument ... for every missile except Ion Missile. Why? [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Because if you are in range to shoot your target with primary lasers while locking on with your Ion Missile, then by the time the Ion Missile hits the target's shields will likely be gone already.
1)- You may not actually strip the shields.
2)- You may be locking on to one target and shooting another, though I'll grant this is uncommon, it is absolutely possible.
3)- Your target may face you with a stronger shield arc which the ion missile may immediately delete.

But anyway, the point that you are getting to is simple: Ion Missile is woefully undertuned.

Quote:
1) REDUCE THE COOLDOWN to 5.5 seconds. There's no reason Ion Missile shouldn't be identical to Concussion Missile in terms of firing arc, lock on time, range and cooldown--not unless it gets significantly buffed to have very powerful and unique capabilities.

2) Make its energy drain far more significant--on the order of 50 or so.

3) Give it an AOE arc (like Ion Railgun) that does half damage to nearby targets. This would mean that even if your primary target's shields shields are already down, you may get some Ion-utility by dropping the shields of other enemy ships. It'd also turn Ion Missile into another mine-clearing option.

4) Increase the hull damage to ~700. If I spend 2.7 seconds locking with a missile, and I won't be able to fire it again for 11 (or even 5.5) seconds, then at least make it do the damage of a Cluster Missile if the target's shields are already down.

I think 1 and 2 would be correct, and together would be great.

I think 3 all by itself would still result in a poor missile, but it would at least have some powerful trickery when it hits, especially if it spread its debuff.

I don't think 4 matters much at all.

I think the debuff / stats thing should be important.

mandoforlife
05.21.2014 , 08:27 AM | #12
In my opinion the two main things that could use changing on Ion Missiles is the CD, and the range. For me, the ramge really is the deal-breaker. I realized that I could be shooting the target and have their shields nearly depleted by the time the missile got a successful lock and connected with the target. It could also use a bit more of a "drain" effect, but I don't know of it'd be a good idea to throw that many buffs at it at one time. If it did receive a massive buff in one patch, it may cross over to the dark side of the farce.

I'm sorry, that was so bad
Vamark Skirata 55 Mercenary <Meet Killface>
Sirsuitntie Sorcerer - Jatne Operative - Zaavar Assassin - Alsaire Marauder
The Bastion

Nemarus
05.21.2014 , 10:20 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by mandoforlife View Post
In my opinion the two main things that could use changing on Ion Missiles is the CD, and the range. For me, the ramge really is the deal-breaker. I realized that I could be shooting the target and have their shields nearly depleted by the time the missile got a successful lock and connected with the target. It could also use a bit more of a "drain" effect, but I don't know of it'd be a good idea to throw that many buffs at it at one time. If it did receive a massive buff in one patch, it may cross over to the dark side of the farce.

I'm sorry, that was so bad
I think with its current range, it is best combined with LLC's. Hit them with an Ion Missile from 7.7k out. It drops their shields and snares them, making it easy to close and melt their hull with LLC ... of course, that assumes you hit them with the missile, and it assumes they don't "turn the other arc" to you

Right now, it just feels like there has to be a perfect storm of luck and right place right time to make this missile useful. And the cooldown doesn't you spam attempts.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

FridgeLM
05.21.2014 , 11:20 AM | #14
I use ion missiles in conjunction with concussions on my Quell. I engage most targets outside of quad laser range as a missile platform.

This is probably the only halfway viable way to use them, I can't imagine having them as my only secondary weapon option.
<Death and Taxes>