Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Mandalorians, Boba and the new universe

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Mandalorians, Boba and the new universe

Astorath_grim's Avatar


Astorath_grim
05.18.2014 , 10:35 AM | #1
Ok not sure if this has been posted but because of all this fn pardon my language disney stuff and how they are getting rid of the EU which brought in thousands of fans and so forth i have been hearing that Boba fett and Jango are not Mandalorian and many others we thought where mandalorians might not be. I am sorry i just dont understand that. Why would they do that and is it true that they aren't Mandalorian if not then what are they. I could of sworn that while watching the movies and the clone wars series that the clones war of Mandalorian Decent so wouldn't that make Boba Mandalorian cause he is a clone and in turn jango.

Also what does that mean this new universe and new canon mean for the mandalorians especially since most mandalorians we know are comics, games and eu?

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
05.18.2014 , 10:56 AM | #2
Think we still need to wait and see what becomes of that whole shtick.

Though to be fair, Jango/Boba were never stated to be Mandalorians in the movies(or books of said movies IIRC). They were just bounty hunters, people just assumed they were Mandalorians just because of their armor. All of the Mandalorian thing came from the EU.

Now depending on how this goes, they could still very well be Mandalorians. But were just gonna have to wait and see.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
05.18.2014 , 11:48 AM | #3
According to the online Encyclopedia:

A faceless enforcer, Boba Fett's distinctive, customized Mandalorian armor strikes fear in the hearts of fugitives.

However that is the only mention of Mandalorian on either of their pages. I somehow doubt this will change, however to be quite honest I always saw the term Mandalorian in application to them as quite loose, they have no clan etc. etc.

EDIT: Oh, that reminds me. Boba Fett in the movies has the Mandalorian symbol tattooed on his armor. I really doubt what in the end is an effective plot point will change in the future, but then there might be a Boba movie right?

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
05.18.2014 , 11:54 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
According to the online Encyclopedia:

A faceless enforcer, Boba Fett's distinctive, customized Mandalorian armor strikes fear in the hearts of fugitives.

However that is the only mention of Mandalorian on either of their pages. I somehow doubt this will change, however to be quite honest I always saw the term Mandalorian in application to them as quite loose, they have no clan etc. etc.

EDIT: Oh, that reminds me. Boba Fett in the movies has the Mandalorian symbol tattooed on his armor. I really doubt what in the end is an effective plot point will change in the future, but then there might be a Boba movie right?
He could have just taken some Mandalorian armor, doesn't need to be a Mandalorian to have the armor. I mean if he took and wore Stormtrooper armor, would that make him a Stormtrooper?

Perhaps he hunted down a Mandalorian and took his armor while as a bounty hunter? He could have gotten it off a vendor? Maybe just found it? Could be many ways that Boba had acquired some Mandalorian armor and then modified it.

In fact the bit with hunting down a Mandalorian would make for an interesting story.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
05.18.2014 , 12:52 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
He could have just taken some Mandalorian armor, doesn't need to be a Mandalorian to have the armor. I mean if he took and wore Stormtrooper armor, would that make him a Stormtrooper?

Perhaps he hunted down a Mandalorian and took his armor while as a bounty hunter? He could have gotten it off a vendor? Maybe just found it? Could be many ways that Boba had acquired some Mandalorian armor and then modified it.

In fact the bit with hunting down a Mandalorian would make for an interesting story.
If he wore stormtrooper armor and had a Empire poster stuck up in his room? I'd at least assume he had Imperial relations.

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
05.18.2014 , 12:54 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
If he wore stormtrooper armor and had a Empire poster stuck up in his room? I'd at least assume he had Imperial relations.
Or he is just a fanboy.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

DariusCalera's Avatar


DariusCalera
05.19.2014 , 12:38 PM | #7
In TCW series Obi-wan mentioned to Duchess Satine about Jango being a Mandalorian.

However, her adviser goes off saying stuff about him just being a bounty hunter.

Now Jango would have been the most recent Mandalore, before his death, and this could have been the adviser's way of separating the current pacifistic government from their traditions and trying to denigrate Jango at the same time.

But that's the only time I can think of when Jango is mentioned in relation to the Mandalorians.

DeltaBos's Avatar


DeltaBos
05.19.2014 , 04:07 PM | #8
This is what people don't realize about the destruction of the EU. They say "it's all crap anyways," but they don't seem to realize that mandalorians didn't exist in ANY of the movies. So now Boba and Jango Fett are now just bounty hunters, the aggressive mandalorians are seen ONLY as renegade mandalorians, not as warriors trying to return their true heritage. In the clone wars, the mandalorians are "peaceful people trying to forget their warrior past," and death watch is the bad guy (to be fair they are evil and Jaster Mereel's soldiers are the true mandos). We don't see any mandalorians protectors so that would mean that they don't exist anymore. So ultimately the Mandalorians are now going to be garbage in the new stuff Disney produces. This is why people should be ticked off at Disney for this, no more mandos.
These new J. J. Abrams movies are just a bad dream. Someone wake me up when Timothy Zahn says he's directing a SW film.

Wulox's Avatar


Wulox
05.19.2014 , 04:28 PM | #9
I hope we do get some mando love, and Jango and Boba aren't retconned as not being mandalorians. TCW already made it a struggle to make other mando stuff fit properly (Open Seasons comic and Republic Commando novels), so I just pray it's not all wiped from existence.

Trixdope's Avatar


Trixdope
05.19.2014 , 06:25 PM | #10
Isn't darth maul canonically a mandalore? Lol