Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Expansion to 60


OrionLives's Avatar


OrionLives
05.09.2014 , 01:03 PM | #1
It is inevitable guys you know it's going to happen. What I am wondering is what they are going to do to make the transition for us 55 geared-out-the-*ss guys who really don't want to regear our toons, a smooth one. Or maybe not smooth, rip it off like a bandage. Don't leave me in wait for the stuff that is to come. Tell me so I am prepared.

I would also like to know how the commendations system is going to be altered. There are so many different comms for us 50+'s at the top from basic to ultimate. Will they all become useless? Who has played an MMO and has experience with what happens to us when 60 hits.

My gear. I love the way my toon looks right now. I've gotten several compliments on my 55 Sentinel Maddelyn.
"Maddelyn you look like a G!" Is my favorite so far. I have seen controversy over the expanding armor sets looking worse than the items back at 50.

What is in store for the Galaxy we love so much? If anyone has any info on the plans for the future please share.
60Maddelyn - Sentinel of KOTOR!V
"Do or do not, there is no try." - Master Yoda

ariasfel's Avatar


ariasfel
05.09.2014 , 01:07 PM | #2
The comms will likely remain the same. To be honest being geared to the teeth will only help because you'll likely be able to jump right into the new operations with little to no gearing effort, other than leveling of course.
The K'nife Legacy
Prophecy of the Five

Spinloader | Ghinzu | Khataana | Jagg'd

Severloh | Leviathonn | Tortuous | Sfynx

Superman_AZ's Avatar


Superman_AZ
05.09.2014 , 01:07 PM | #3
If they were smart, they would just add new content and up the gear score without raising the level. It would be just like leveing, but without the dread of higher and higher numbers. This way, 55s would get a new planet, with new missions, better gear, and eventually new OPs/FPs. No need to raise the ceiling. WoW learned that lesson the hard way.
"Be yourself, no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong." ~ James Leo Herlihy

Infernixx's Avatar


Infernixx
05.09.2014 , 01:08 PM | #4
Have you ever gone through a level expansion before?

In case you haven't, I'll explain it for you:

Those in BiS gear now won't be upgrading their gear from 55 until 60 when they start doing the new 60 HM FPs.

Those in lesser gear(Ultimate vendor gear), will likely upgrade their gear at about 58 and up.

Those in Elite gear will likely see gear upgrades at about 56 or so.

The goal is to create a gearing path that enables people to jump from Makeb leveling content to the new 55-60 leveling content without much stress on the levelers.

Basic gear and Elite gear is likely to be removed like Tionese and Columni gear were removed, while Dread gear is likely to be reclassified as Classic gear.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

OrionLives's Avatar


OrionLives
05.09.2014 , 01:12 PM | #5
I have not been through an expansion before. Thank you for the information.
60Maddelyn - Sentinel of KOTOR!V
"Do or do not, there is no try." - Master Yoda

wjrasmussen's Avatar


wjrasmussen
05.09.2014 , 02:45 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by OrionLives View Post
It is inevitable guys you know it's going to happen. What I am wondering is what they are going to do to make the transition for us 55 geared-out-the-*ss guys who really don't want to regear our toons, a smooth one. Or maybe not smooth, rip it off like a bandage. Don't leave me in wait for the stuff that is to come. Tell me so I am prepared.

I would also like to know how the commendations system is going to be altered. There are so many different comms for us 50+'s at the top from basic to ultimate. Will they all become useless? Who has played an MMO and has experience with what happens to us when 60 hits.

My gear. I love the way my toon looks right now. I've gotten several compliments on my 55 Sentinel Maddelyn.
"Maddelyn you look like a G!" Is my favorite so far. I have seen controversy over the expanding armor sets looking worse than the items back at 50.

What is in store for the Galaxy we love so much? If anyone has any info on the plans for the future please share.
IMO there are a couple of issues. First is player expectation that once they get to cap and spend time earning bis gear that it will never ever get replaced. IMO, that is immature but is still happens. The second is the value of the BIS gear should be worth more. The reason it isn't worth more is the tiny cap increase.

If we had an expansion that went from 55 to 80 and that BIS gear didn't start getting replaced until say level 75 (pulled that number out of my ...) it would be seen as more valuable and worth pursuing.
A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault. ~John Henry Newman

Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten.

DOHboy's Avatar


DOHboy
05.09.2014 , 03:08 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by wjrasmussen View Post
IMO there are a couple of issues. First is player expectation that once they get to cap and spend time earning bis gear that it will never ever get replaced. IMO, that is immature but is still happens. The second is the value of the BIS gear should be worth more. The reason it isn't worth more is the tiny cap increase.

If we had an expansion that went from 55 to 80 and that BIS gear didn't start getting replaced until say level 75 (pulled that number out of my ...) it would be seen as more valuable and worth pursuing.
BIS isn't BIS for all time, its BIS for current content. Once that content changes, BIS becomes "next best" and so forth.

If 50-55 is any indication, BIS will work for leveling and probably SM flashpoints without the need to grind, but will not be sufficient for ops. With rakata gear I was able to get passed Makeb easily and replace some gear with crafted and drops as you leveled. Once we hit level cap we were sufficiently geared for 55 HM and SM operations. But attempting to do 55SM operations in pure rakata gear was ill advised.

tl;dr BIS will work for awhile, but will probably be replaced quickly by both crafted gear and drops from quests/flashpointes etc. new BIS will only be gained from the level capped HMs and will need to progress as usual to get there.

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
05.09.2014 , 03:15 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DOHboy View Post
BIS isn't BIS for all time, its BIS for current content. Once that content changes, BIS becomes "next best" and so forth.

If 50-55 is any indication, BIS will work for leveling and probably SM flashpoints without the need to grind, but will not be sufficient for ops. With rakata gear I was able to get passed Makeb easily and replace some gear with crafted and drops as you leveled. Once we hit level cap we were sufficiently geared for 55 HM and SM operations. But attempting to do 55SM operations in pure rakata gear was ill advised.

tl;dr BIS will work for awhile, but will probably be replaced quickly by both crafted gear and drops from quests/flashpointes etc. new BIS will only be gained from the level capped HMs and will need to progress as usual to get there.
When 2.0 first dropped, my main toon was in fully optimized Dread Guard (150 rating). Makeb was too easy, but level 55 HM FPs and SM Ops were okay.

If the same thing happens again, I would imagine that people in 180+ would be overgeared for any new planetary content, but would be fine any new HM FPs and any new SM Operations.

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
05.09.2014 , 05:49 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by OrionLives View Post
It is inevitable guys you know it's going to happen.
It's NOT inevitable.

But I do think it will happen at some point. But keep in mind.. they have shown a willingness to add new content types that are not level based [Like GSF]... so they could very well take a new direction at any time in this regard.

The only thing inevitable about MMOs is:

1) they change over time.
2) they eventually close somewhere down the road.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

wjrasmussen's Avatar


wjrasmussen
05.09.2014 , 09:28 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DOHboy View Post
BIS isn't BIS for all time, its BIS for current content. Once that content changes, BIS becomes "next best" and so forth.

If 50-55 is any indication, BIS will work for leveling and probably SM flashpoints without the need to grind, but will not be sufficient for ops. With rakata gear I was able to get passed Makeb easily and replace some gear with crafted and drops as you leveled. Once we hit level cap we were sufficiently geared for 55 HM and SM operations. But attempting to do 55SM operations in pure rakata gear was ill advised.

tl;dr BIS will work for awhile, but will probably be replaced quickly by both crafted gear and drops from quests/flashpointes etc. new BIS will only be gained from the level capped HMs and will need to progress as usual to get there.
BIS isn't for all. Isn't that what I said?????????? DERP. What I did say is there are people WHO DO THINK THAT WAY. Those who think once they get that special uber item that the game should never offer something better than that. If you have not seen people who act like that, well, that explains a lot.
A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault. ~John Henry Newman

Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten.