Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So when is SWTOR gonna get an art and graphical update?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
So when is SWTOR gonna get an art and graphical update?

Darth-Obvious
05.07.2014 , 07:04 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by ZahirS View Post
I bet soon.
How so?

It's very unlikely we'll see anything to the degree he's asking for.

This isn't WoW, they can't just overhaul the graphics like they do.

It's known that they'll be updating the Shadows setting soon and given that it's one of the most resource intensive settings I'm curious what percentage of the population will be able to crank it up without performance loss, because I'm guessing the TC won't be able to.

Honestly outside of the low res textures on a lot of vanilla stuff, players already have the ability to make the game look better themselves.

For instance I can already easily do stuff like smooth out jagged edges/pixels and make the colors pop more...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/924703...57642306073134

...and those are in game shots, they're not touched up with photoshop or anything, and it's not like I had to do anything complex either. It's just Nvidia Inspector combined with Sweet FX Config.

Anti_Bodies
05.07.2014 , 07:18 PM | #22
It would be nice if new planets going forward had some day/night cycles + weather.

I understanding going back and redoing planets is out of the question, same going for redoing all the graphics rofl

Darth-Obvious
05.07.2014 , 09:10 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Anti_Bodies View Post
It would be nice if new planets going forward had some day/night cycles + weather.
The big problem that day/night cycles that people don't bring up or seem to be aware of is the effect it would have on cutscenes.

The cutscenes have their own specific lighting, which would instantly be off if the surrounding area of the cutscene was darker or lighter. For instance you would have a number of cutscenes that would become way too dark or way too bright.

In other words they would basically have to go back readjust all the lighting in outdoor cutscenes, which they're never going to do and part of the reason why they didn't add them in the first place. If the environment remains completely static there are things that you never have to adjust for like lightning.

If anyone wants to see what I'm talking about with the game's lighting, click on your ship's holoterminal when you don't have a mission and you'll see the lighting switch to the cutscene lighting on your character model.

jedip_enguin
05.07.2014 , 11:46 PM | #24
They have far more pressing concerns at the moment then how the game looks.

The start of their new 'Epic Story' arc was a bit of a damp squib (I'm sure some people loved it), a couple of OK cutscenes accompanied by 2 short, dull as dishwater, utterly unchallenging, 'tactical' flashpoints.

The Ops content has been stretched as thin as it realistically can be with nothing on the horizon other than DP NiM for probably the next 6 months.

PvP is also basically in stasis. New seasons will come and go, but there are no new WZ's or sweeping innovations on the horizon.

Strongholds is interesting but is essentially fluff, much like GSF was.

At this point point literally the last thing BW needs to be thinking about is sprucing up the visuals.

AshlaBoga
05.07.2014 , 11:49 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Hehe... one of the rare times that you and I are in complete agreement.

Besides.. they have been making incremental improvements for some time now..... and I have yet to see an MMO do any sort of actual tech/graphics refresh inside of the 5th year of production (+/-). My point being..... it's normal to see incremental improvements over time for an MMO, but NOT a complete refresh update.
Agreed.

I want an Ultra setting, but I'm aware that making it will take time. I figure they'll add it as an option eventually.
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

chillshock
05.08.2014 , 01:19 AM | #26
Pfft... as long as I don't have a computer that can run this game at highest settings... the only upgrade I need would be my computer.... and since there is no "click here to get the perfect swtor computer"-link on the homepage... with a "Bioware certified" seal on it... MEH!

Any idea how much it would get you in rev if you had like an online store selling computers specifically tailored to run certain games at maximum settings? should I start an online buisiness? :P

Smashnbash
05.08.2014 , 01:38 AM | #27
Yeah the graphics are fine tbh, they at least look better than KoTOR, so it's a step up. The only thing I would ask to fix though is the texture quality. Most of the time is bare-able, but then other times, like when going on a planet. Holy ****! Bioware, I love you but jesus :/

Love the game! <3

AshlaBoga
05.08.2014 , 02:16 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by chillshock View Post
Any idea how much it would get you in rev if you had like an online store selling computers specifically tailored to run certain games at maximum settings? should I start an online buisiness? :P
Your revenue would be fairly low at first, simply because people tend to flock to the already existing companies:
Falcon Northwest, Digital Storm, Origin
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

Macetheace
05.08.2014 , 12:38 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Obvious View Post

Also stop trying to turn TOR's character creator into Skyrim's. You ask for the weirdest specific things out of it's character creator or things that nobody else is looking for in the game. There are numerous character creation features that people want far FAR more than things like adams apples.
No. the greater the model detail, the better it is.
If it feels wrong, it usually is.

Businesses must act with integrity in all things.

Vandicus
05.08.2014 , 01:02 PM | #30
Can't really say that it feels dated at all. Comparing some other 2011-2012 games to current games, there is usually a noticeable difference, but that's for the most part games that went for a highly realistic art style.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!