Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Vanguard Assault Specialist Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Vanguard Assault Specialist Guide

TACeMossie's Avatar


TACeMossie
05.05.2014 , 03:37 AM | #1
The guide has been relocated! Go here to find it!

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7660471

(It has pictures )
__________________________________________________
Kwerty, 55 Vanguard on The Harbinger
And others
Learn to play a DPS Vanguard with this guide.

Mularky's Avatar


Mularky
05.05.2014 , 05:57 PM | #2
I am doing rapid shots right after Railshot/High Impact Bolt, is that a dps increase or loss? It seems to help me with my heat by a lot. I'm coming from a heavy PVP atmosphere so I have only just recently started with PVE.
<Ascendancy> <YES>

The Real Jaci

TACeMossie's Avatar


TACeMossie
05.05.2014 , 06:11 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Mularky View Post
I am doing rapid shots right after Railshot/High Impact Bolt, is that a dps increase or loss? It seems to help me with my heat by a lot. I'm coming from a heavy PVP atmosphere so I have only just recently started with PVE.
Depending on how much ammo (or heat) you currently have, sometimes its good to rapid shots after a rail shot, other times you can wait a little longer. I tend to find its ok either way, so I put it in the middle for a more easy to remember system (as Stockstrike/Rocket Punch will never come off cooldown in that specific cooldown I have Hammer shots listed).

A good thing to remember is so long as your Ammo/heat is below 90, its fine to use either hammer shots/rapid shots or Ion Pulse/Flame Burst. Try not to Ion Pulse/Flame burst or Stockstrike/Rocket Punch when below 76 heat without resource return cooldowns though

Speaking of which, im also gonna have to add Powertech Terminology after I get a nice parse uploaded aren't I

Also, the PTS is empty D: - I brought over a boatload of mats so I could upgrade my 50/50 split of underworld/dread forged into full dread forged and no one is there! Well 12 people were there, but 8 of them were doing NiM dread palace and the rest were low level smugglers
__________________________________________________
Kwerty, 55 Vanguard on The Harbinger
And others
Learn to play a DPS Vanguard with this guide.

Mularky's Avatar


Mularky
05.05.2014 , 06:17 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TACeMossie View Post
Depending on how much ammo (or heat) you currently have, sometimes its good to rapid shots after a rail shot, other times you can wait a little longer. I tend to find its ok either way, so I put it in the middle for a more easy to remember system (as Stockstrike/Rocket Punch will never come off cooldown in that specific cooldown I have Hammer shots listed).

A good thing to remember is so long as your Ammo/heat is below 90, its fine to use either hammer shots/rapid shots or Ion Pulse/Flame Burst. Try not to Ion Pulse/Flame burst or Stockstrike/Rocket Punch when below 76 heat without resource return cooldowns though

Speaking of which, im also gonna have to add Powertech Terminology after I get a nice parse uploaded aren't I

Also, the PTS is empty D: - I brought over a boatload of mats so I could upgrade my 50/50 split of underworld/dread forged into full dread forged and no one is there!
Yeah, I was going ask if I could transfer your guide to the PT forums with PT terminology to help others out. You would obviously get all the credit for such a good and updated guide.
<Ascendancy> <YES>

The Real Jaci

TACeMossie's Avatar


TACeMossie
05.05.2014 , 06:22 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Mularky View Post
Yeah, I was going ask if I could transfer your guide to the PT forums with PT terminology to help others out. You would obviously get all the credit for such a good and updated guide.
Haha no worries. Might want to wait till I get a Parse uploaded first (doing that now)
__________________________________________________
Kwerty, 55 Vanguard on The Harbinger
And others
Learn to play a DPS Vanguard with this guide.

TACeMossie's Avatar


TACeMossie
05.05.2014 , 07:35 PM | #6
Updated with a Parse Analysis and Ability Breakdown section.
__________________________________________________
Kwerty, 55 Vanguard on The Harbinger
And others
Learn to play a DPS Vanguard with this guide.

JMagee's Avatar


JMagee
05.06.2014 , 11:36 AM | #7
Nice Job,

A few small comments/thoughts.

1. Just for clarity if there are any first-timers CZ's mine is Concussion Mine, not Corrosive.

2. While I'll do agree with the gear breakdown, I think it would be useful to include the actual stat bonuses (+xxx Crit, +xxx Power) your recommended gear gives. Because while it may not be as optimal, you can still get pretty close to those secondary stat levels with alternate gearing strategies (using a crit/surge enhancement and a power mod vs. a crit mod and power/surge enhancement).

3. I'm curious why for Tyrans you prioritize BF-SC-Adrenal for the adds in the future, when using the adrenal on the first add would allow for it to be available again sooner in the fight, without changing the idea of one DPS bonus to help with each add.

4. You say this under your Nefra strategy. "This DoT will reduce the damage of Adrenaline Rush" I assume damage is supposed to be CD.

5. Personally, I don't like getting Raptus' crystal on the 3rd phase. If you are able to get Brontes down quickly enough, you have more than enough time to DPS Raptus before he becomes active that you won't lose aggro on him. And as you mention, you also have a taunt if need be. Once you get the crystal, he's on you, no matter what. If you get knocked off and/or die, it becomes impossible to re-control raptus because he'll just jump around to whoever. If you leave his crystal on his throne, and you do die (I've died to a skull DM while I was out-of-range of a healer) another DPS (if applicable) can taunt and pick up your kiting duties while you get a res.

6. One of the most unfortunate things about VGs in DF/DP is lack of a self-cleanse. While kiting make sure your healers/cleansers are aware of where you are/where you're going to be while kiting, because it's pretty easy to get a skull when you're in the corner and out-of-range. And it's quickly a GG if you/your cleanser can't make up enough ground quickly to cleanse in time.
For NiM Nefra if you run a group that does not have many self or off-cleanses, it becomes high priority to rotate your DCDs effectively for each DoT and the 15 stack twin attack. Diversion will aid in resist chance of all DoTs (Nefra, Tyrans, etc.) and should be looked at equally as a moderate defensive and a threat drop.

TACeMossie's Avatar


TACeMossie
05.06.2014 , 10:40 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by JMagee View Post
Nice Job,

A few small comments/thoughts.

1. Just for clarity if there are any first-timers CZ's mine is Concussion Mine, not Corrosive.

2. While I'll do agree with the gear breakdown, I think it would be useful to include the actual stat bonuses (+xxx Crit, +xxx Power) your recommended gear gives. Because while it may not be as optimal, you can still get pretty close to those secondary stat levels with alternate gearing strategies (using a crit/surge enhancement and a power mod vs. a crit mod and power/surge enhancement).

3. I'm curious why for Tyrans you prioritize BF-SC-Adrenal for the adds in the future, when using the adrenal on the first add would allow for it to be available again sooner in the fight, without changing the idea of one DPS bonus to help with each add.

4. You say this under your Nefra strategy. "This DoT will reduce the damage of Adrenaline Rush" I assume damage is supposed to be CD.

5. Personally, I don't like getting Raptus' crystal on the 3rd phase. If you are able to get Brontes down quickly enough, you have more than enough time to DPS Raptus before he becomes active that you won't lose aggro on him. And as you mention, you also have a taunt if need be. Once you get the crystal, he's on you, no matter what. If you get knocked off and/or die, it becomes impossible to re-control raptus because he'll just jump around to whoever. If you leave his crystal on his throne, and you do die (I've died to a skull DM while I was out-of-range of a healer) another DPS (if applicable) can taunt and pick up your kiting duties while you get a res.

6. One of the most unfortunate things about VGs in DF/DP is lack of a self-cleanse. While kiting make sure your healers/cleansers are aware of where you are/where you're going to be while kiting, because it's pretty easy to get a skull when you're in the corner and out-of-range. And it's quickly a GG if you/your cleanser can't make up enough ground quickly to cleanse in time.
For NiM Nefra if you run a group that does not have many self or off-cleanses, it becomes high priority to rotate your DCDs effectively for each DoT and the 15 stack twin attack. Diversion will aid in resist chance of all DoTs (Nefra, Tyrans, etc.) and should be looked at equally as a moderate defensive and a threat drop.
1. Fixed
2. Fixed
3. I tend to use the Attack Adrenal for the 3rd add because I tend to use an Attack Adrenal in my opener for that fight - meaning its not usually up until the third add.
4. fixed
5. As far as I was aware, not grabbing the crystal gives Raptus a 100% damage buff. Ill try without grabbing it next time, cause aggro is really easy to hold on him, but I prefer to have that buffer at least.
6. Thats a good point to emphasize. I tend to have one of the healers as my focus target, so if im kiting raptus around (for example) then I make sure to not LoS them and stay within 30 meters of them, as then if I get deathmarked all they have to do is Click -> Cleanse
__________________________________________________
Kwerty, 55 Vanguard on The Harbinger
And others
Learn to play a DPS Vanguard with this guide.

mmerry's Avatar


mmerry
05.06.2014 , 11:26 PM | #9
In other news... how do you guys play w/o a 0-100 counter on your ammo bar? I logged into my vg and it was pretty terrible..
Harbinger & TEH
<Zorz> & <Postmortem>
All Teh Poptarts

TACeMossie's Avatar


TACeMossie
05.07.2014 , 12:26 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by mmerry View Post
In other news... how do you guys play w/o a 0-100 counter on your ammo bar? I logged into my vg and it was pretty terrible..
To be perfectly honest...

We have to guess. Its a huge pain.
__________________________________________________
Kwerty, 55 Vanguard on The Harbinger
And others
Learn to play a DPS Vanguard with this guide.