Adding Dyes to Collections

Matty_X

Title says it all. Would be great if colour dyes could be added to our collection.

I agree.

This game has the worst dye system of any MMO I have ever experienced, and this is coming from a person that was around with Ultima Online and played MMO since.

I agree.

This game has the worst dye system of any MMO I have ever experienced, and this is coming from a person that was around with Ultima Online and played MMO since.

QFT

Really no other way of saying it. The dye system in this game is horrid. Why can't we get a decent system like just about any other game out there?

Edited by Vinak

This would increase demand on high-end dyes. I can imagine black dye going even higher in price but I would totally spend even 10 mil on it shall it become reusable! And there is a shortage of them, so.

Should be added, that only cartel market ($) dyes should be added into collections. Not the craftable ones.

I support this 100%

I have dished out 1.5mil twice for the white on white dye module... I would love to never have to do that again ;)

You don't. Ain't no law says any of your characters have to have white/white dyed items.

This is never going to happen unless large numbers of people start unsubbing and give "No dyes in collections" as the reason.

Edited by branmakmuffin

It would completely remove the value of dyes if they did that.

And by value, I don't necessarily mean monetary value. I also mean rarity as well. If you can unlock them in collections, all dyes would drastically lose their value.

And what about people who craft dyes? They sell one and that person is set forever. Or, even worse, the buyer of a crafted dye spends cartel coins to unlock that dye that another player crafted. That would piss me off if I was the crafter. Pay me a small amount of credits for the thing I craft, then give BW real money to unlock it forever...

Edited by Soul_of_Flames

You don't. Ain't no law says any of your characters have to have white/white dyed items.

This is never going to happen unless large numbers of people start unsubbing and give "No dyes in collections" as the reason.

Pretty much this. The dye system is a cow cash item for BW.

Pretty much this. The dye system is a cow cash item for BW.

It would be an even bigger cash cow if they implemented a huge color hue chart into our collections menus representing the colors we could unlock via cartel coins. Not this crappy fixed dye system they use now....releasing a small handful of oddly mixed primary/secondary dye kits with each new cartel pack.

Sticking something like this, this, and this into our collections menus and charge us 10-100 cartel coins to unlock one color. Then allowing us to choose our own primary/secondary combinations. This would be a huge improvement for both the user and EA's bottom line.

Check out Guild Wars 2 dye system.

The major difference is that is GW2 there are thousands of possible colours (they have not released that many) plus they have started releasing dyes with textures and I think effects like glowing and reflective properties.

A collection system is viable but it also requires more than 25 colours.

Edited by DarkMontie

And what about people who craft dyes? They sell one and that person is set forever. Or, even worse, the buyer of a crafted dye spends cartel coins to unlock that dye that another player crafted. That would piss me off if I was the crafter. Pay me a small amount of credits for the thing I craft, then give BW real money to unlock it forever...

I'm talking about dyes that are exclusive to the Cartel Market or in the Packs, not the ones you can craft with Artifice.

I honestly don't mind if they charge the usual 240, or 600, hell... even 1000cc, just so people who have paid millions for one particular dye, can have across all their toons. If you can unlock speeders, armour, weapons, etc... wouldn't it make sense to add dyes to collections too?

Edited by Matty_X

/signed

This game has the most worthless nickel and dime based dye system ever conceived. The fact that people actually think a single use black/black dye is worth millions of credits just boggles my mind to no end.

One you "learn" a dye you should be able to unlock it, or "learn" it on that toon forever.....you know, like most ALL over MMO's do.

That fact that you think what you do and choose to do in YOUR game should be dictated to everyone else just shows the immaturity of your post. I could care less how others got their dyes.

Edited by DarthVengeant

I'd like to see this, or at the very least be able to remove a dye from an item LIKE WITH ANY OTHER MOD so that it can be put in another item. Still bound of course. But this way you wont have to worry about a nicer item coming along to use that black/black dye on.

As it is, I cant see why anyone would even use the black/black dye due to the rediculously high cost. Whatever you put it in, you'll regret it later.

The current system needs a major review and overhaul. There's a number of problems:

1) Narrow choice of colours / inflexible system.

There's too few colours on offer and the way they are applied is very inflexible. Everyone has different tastes and opinions on what looks good, but with such a restrictive system it can be hard to get the look you want. Colour choice needs to be put in the hands of the players, so we can buy the colours *we* want, not the colours the devs think we want. or decide to drip feed to us.

2) Single use dyes.

I don't mind paying a premium for a nice dye I like *IF* I can re-use it in some way, either via collections or by being able to remove it and transfer it to another piece of gear. I refuse to pay a premum for something I might change my mind about later. There's lots of new gear constantly released into the game and it's unreasonable to expect people to keep re-purchasing expensive dyes to keep up with that.

3) Tertiary undyeable zones on certain armours.

Quite a lot of armour sets have tertiary dye zones which don't respond to any dye and always stay the same colour. This often produces odd looking results when applying dye. I understand that old gear isn't likely to be updated to correct this. But there is still plenty of new gear, released since the dye system was launched, which has this problem, not all of it reskins either. What's the point of buying an expensive dye only to find that significant chunks of your armour don't respond to it?

• 2 months later...

From a business perspective, Bioware has every interest for the player to spend money - both ingame and outside of the game. It also wants to provide sellable exclusive to CM stuff.

Why would Bioware give you a one time buy of a Black / Black dye from the CM with saved sub coins or at 2 mils off GTN, when they can goad you into gambling much more into packs (6900 for 24 was one offer somewhere), or buy TWO B/B Dyes at 4000?

Don`t get me wrong, I LOVE this idea, but I don`t think it is practical fro Bioware and as such, it will never see the light of day. If it does, you`ll pay dearly for it, most probably.

• 1 month later...

Don`t get me wrong, I LOVE this idea, but I don`t think it is practical fro Bioware and as such, it will never see the light of day. If it does, you`ll pay dearly for it, most probably.

That's the silliest part though. As it is now. I'll never buy the super expensive dyes. Not worth it for various reasons already stated in this thread. However, if unlocking dyes (only CM dyes, crafted ones are fine as is) were an option....

Do you know how many dyes I would buy and unlock just on the off chance I -might- use them on something down the road? Lots... more then I probably should but I like having options. Its why if I see a belt I like in a set, I will get the rest of the set just to unlock it so I can use it elsewhere if I want to later on.

Hi Bioware,

Is it possible if we can have some sort of official response to this post? Or if we can get your point of view on this please?

Thank you.

Isn't their point of view pretty clear? The current system is the one they believe is the most effective way to monetize the dye feature. As long as the current system keeps generating purchases then I don't expect them to have a reason to change it. Business is business.

Do you know how many dyes I would buy and unlock ....

Until you saw an unlock price that you didn't like.

There's no guarantee that changing the system will generate the same amount profits over the long haul for BW.

If the current system is viewed as being a successful money maker then why would BW risk changing it.

A suggestion might sound good but it isn't a good business decision because if it fails it can't be undone.

There is a difference between a dye and a mod - mod becomes obsolete in a couple of levels, maybe 4 levels. Dye is a dye on any level. Artificers have NO source of income but dyes, and a very limited set of dyes at that. So, collectible dyes will make Artifice a completely wasted skill, between the already collectible crystals and unlimited planetary comm system that makes crafting enhancements and hilts for sale pointless. So, it leaves dyes and only dyes.

I can't support allowing dye unlocks.

What I wish we could have is more dyes available to crafters. But that's not going to happen, so I would at least want to preserve what we have now.

Edited by DomiSotto

There is a difference between a dye and a mod - mod becomes obsolete in a couple of levels, maybe 4 levels. Dye is a dye on any level. Artificers have NO source of income but dyes, and a very limited set of dyes at that. So, collectible dyes will make Artifice a completely wasted skill, between the already collectible crystals and unlimited planetary comm system that makes crafting enhancements and hilts for sale pointless. So, it leaves dyes and only dyes.

I can't support allowing dye unlocks.

What I wish we could have is more dyes available to crafters. But that's not going to happen, so I would at least want to preserve what we have now.

I think pretyy much everyone already agreed to only make -Cartel Market- dyes go into collections.

It might be different on your server, but on jung ma black/blue and black/red stay around 20k... I make -way- more money selling hilts & enhancements.... they usually go for 50k or more...

Yes, that's different on my server. Hilts and enhancements are <5 thou and won't sell anyway. A simple dye is 15 to 30 thou range and go within a day. If people can unlock a CM dye, they would buy a CM dye, and will never buy a crafted dye, the same way that happened to Crystals. Edited by DomiSotto

I have wrote about this before in a similar thread, but here we go:

NO to unlocks

Here is why:

At the moment crafters provide alternative for most desired black/black and white/white dyes. If cartel dyes are reclaimable, than those crafters will be pretty much out of the job, given that enhancements are dirt cheep with planetary comms. I am not sure about end game crafting, ask someone else.

With dyes it works like that: most people don't want to spend millions of credits on single use vanity item, that is understandable. So you get cheaper alternative: namely Black/Red or White/Yellow(I think that's the one). If on the other hand you can spawn it through collections than you cough out few mills for dye and then, after unlocking, have it for free for every character and NPC and whatever. With that option available to you, you will not buy any crafted dyes... ever.

HOWEVER...

I do want and overhaul of dye crafting. I was thinking about crafting dye "colour" and dye "frame", so everyone can buy their favourite colour(s) and mix/combine to get what they want. There are 2 problems with that tho:

1) Cartel dyes will become obsolete, that would not be good for business. But I would like to know how much dye packs people are actually buying? Is it worth much? Maybe, instead of being craftable, sell "dye frames" from cartel market for, say... 50cc?

2) Dye colour price/cost would have to be carefully managed. We don't want black colour costing millions to craft; that would defeat the point. All colours should be affordable to bye/sell, so we can buy Black and Red colours for more or less the same money as "good old" Black/Red dye.

Just my 2 cents.