Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

ETA on Advanced Class change?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
ETA on Advanced Class change?

Savej's Avatar


Savej
04.23.2014 , 11:47 AM | #4441
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
The crux of the issue is how that player learns the new AC...
Maybe for you but let me assure you that is not the reason some individuals have over 500 posts in this thread blasting the idea. The "it will ruin endgame because no one will know how to play their tanks/healers any more" has been disproven and discounted numerous times. Let me re-iterate.

1) Many tree changes within advanced classes represent larger playstyle shifts than switching acs would. Ex: jugg rage - jugg tank involves more changes than going from jugg rage - mara rage. You would even have to change more of your gear with the tank switch vs the mara one assuming your gear is adaptive.

2) it doesn't take that long to learn the basics of any ac.

3) it is very easy to level character to 55 without learning any of the finer points to using that ac in endgame pve or pve - forcing ppl to spend 50+ hours in between skill or ac respecs doesn't mean they will be any better than someone else swapping acs and doing a few dlyies with his new specs. Beyond the basics, the only way to learn endgame raiding on a pc is to do it - the leveling process contributes little to that.

4). Plenty of games allow radical character changes that require completely different play styles and gear - druids in wow, for example - healer one minute, the next a stealth melee dps or a tank or a ranged dps - different stats, different energy mechanics and different sets of valid gear for most of those choices. Wow did not explode because of druids or paladins or monks - far from it; and those aren't even especially popular classes. But each is very viable at just about any role when played well. And player skill and experiences in wow are the same as they are here, last I checked. I actually run into more clueless tank/healers here because group finder is a little trickier but ac respec isn't going to change that.

5) if you can't handle running into inexperienced or unskilled players you should join a guild and only group with ppl you can yell at in voice chat. Adding an ac change for $5-$10 or once per month per character or whatever isn't going to change the frequency of your encounters with them.

ekwalizer's Avatar


ekwalizer
04.24.2014 , 08:20 AM | #4442
Quote: Originally Posted by Savej View Post
3) it is very easy to level character to 55 [. The End.]
There, now it is undeniably accurate.

ekwalizer's Avatar


ekwalizer
04.24.2014 , 08:24 AM | #4443
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
LOL@not listing a single freaking one. Typical! That's typical of every person who is against it.

Me: "Gimme a good convincing reason why it's bad"
Them: "Uh...go find it ur self

I find it so intriguing that you anti AC swap people can't come up with even ONE good reason why lol.

If that's all it takes to keep someone happy and playing SWTOR, who the hell cares? Only nosy Nellie's like you seem to care. Only people who seem to think THEY should be allowed to dictate what someone plays. If "MY" AC had any impact at all on you, I'd be open to your argument against it...but the AC any other player chooses, is simply none of your ******* business.
You have been involved in this thread since at least July 2013. You know full well which arguments people are talking about - don't act like you don't. Just because people don't have the desire to go back and detail them again, for the 13 billionth time, doesn't negate them.

tanktest's Avatar


tanktest
04.24.2014 , 08:25 AM | #4444
Quote: Originally Posted by SW_display_name View Post
So, the Species Change and Barber Shop mentioned in the Dulfy interview from months ago are finally realities. That's a good sign! It means the devs are actually serious about their "Yeah, we'd like to do that" statements.

In that same interview, it was mentioned that Advanced Class changes were also on the table and likely to happen. I'm curious if the community team can update us on whether there's any time-table for when this will be implemented.

Ideally, I'd love it to be a switch you can unlock, then flip any time finally allowing me to Tank & Heal with one character.

But in reality I'm sure it will cost like 6000 Cartel Coins to unlock it, then another 2000 Cartel Coins every time you switch (discounted 3.2% for subscribers, of course) with a 2 month cooldown. Oh well, what can you do? As a start, I'd be happy just to have the option in-game, in any form.

So! Does BioWare have any upcoming plans for this that can be shared with us?

~~~

Edit: While I am proud of how much you are feeding the Dark Side with your blind anger and hate, and vehement vows of impossibility, let me remind you of (source):


We got the Species part. That makes the AC part also have a lot of credibility.

So anyway, any ETA or news, community team?


TY that's the post i could not find on this site . it wont hurt any one and don't do it if you don't like . don't Forget what AC really means .

also can't wait for legacy datacrons they are coming even thu others hate the idea .

I'm really supized the same one that complain about this have not complained about this

New options are available for the Ground Target Area of Effect reticle:

Sticky Ground Target Reticule - When active, this option makes it so your Ground Target Reticule doesn't disappear if the target location is out of range or the ability otherwise fails. Example: Bounty Hunter attempts to activate Death From Above, but their target location is out of range. With this option active, the GTAoE reticule will persist and allow the player to instantly attempt to use the ability again. If this option isn't active, then the reticule will disappear and the player will have to click again.


Quick Ground Target Activation - When active, pressing a hotkey that belongs to a GTAoE twice will use the ability at the feet of the Player's target. Example: The Player has the Pass the Huttball ability saved to Hotkey #3. The Player targets an ally and then presses 3 two times. The Huttball Pass will be activated at the feet of the targeted ally. If this option is turned off, then there are no changes to the existing behavior.


that is a big step forward IMO . i love the new AOE ground target .

Savej's Avatar


Savej
04.24.2014 , 08:40 AM | #4445
Quote: Originally Posted by ekwalizer View Post

There, now it is undeniably accurate.
Nothing in mmos is "hard" outside of organizing raids and pvp. But 50-80 hours of redoing class quests and grinding kdy/pvp-for-the-valor is nothing to sneeze at.

psandak's Avatar


psandak
04.24.2014 , 09:35 AM | #4446
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
this argument has been refuted multiple times.

becasue with spec changes we are already dealing with this. a bad player will remain bad. a good player will figure it out before setting out into a group content. and a mediocre player will remain mediocre.

becasue you see... its not about learning AC. its about learning a specific spec/tree. within any given AC - all 3 specs plays very differently. more so when you changes roles with them. not everyone levels through a role they plan on playing at end game. in fact, I'd bet a lot of people do NOT. some people change their minds at end game too. and guess what? they have to learn how to play a completely unfamiliar spec. at lvl 55. we have this. we have this right now. allowing people to switch between 6 talent trees instead of current 3? is not going to change the gist of it.

P.S. 50 playing hours IS too much to ask, if the person playing is not having fun with it. and/or if that person has less time to play. lets take someone like MY SO for example. who maybe has about an hour to play a day, sometimes less. it would take them probably 2 months JUSt to level a single character not even to max level. to lvl 50.
I'll agree that spec change is similar. I in fact recently began playing my DPS sage as a healer - I acquired some gear, switched specs and started healing. Here are some other facts though:

- I have been playing healers for the entirety of my RPG life, starting with clerics in Basic D&D 30+ years ago. When I started playing MMOs my first character was an EQ1 cleric. In SWTOR my second character was a sawbones scoundrel (which became my main). So I understand the finer points of healing regardless of game and class; for me the "art" of healing is second nature.
- even as a DPS Sage I kept the (limited) healing abilities accessible and used them on many occasions in solo, FP, and Op situations (my natural healer instincts kick in because a dead teammate does zero DPS/TPS/HPS and I would rather sacrifice my own DPS for a few seconds than have a teammate go down and risk a wipe)
- I made the decision to switch and saved up elite comms on several characters so I could get the right gear before switching
- I went to several websites and read up on sage healing before jumping in.
- I ran a set of daily quests with an (undergeared) tank companion to get a feel for healing without "endangering" others
- The first group content I did was a tactical flashpoint where healing is not nearly as necessary so that any mistakes I made would be minimized.
- the first GF 55HMFP I did I told the group that healing as a sage was new to me and to please take it easy
- After more than a month of running that Sage as a healer, I have yet to heal any operations on that Sage (I am even hesitant to bring her as a healer into content my guild does for "fun" (AKA level 50 operations and world bosses).

Obviously, by your definition, I am one of the "good players." But how many players do you think go through all that just to change spec? Now translate that into AC change. Just imagine all the wrong gear and bad rotations.

I am simply thinking about all the "bad players" out there who would make their "badness" worse.

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
04.24.2014 , 09:42 AM | #4447
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
LOL@not listing a single freaking one. Typical! That's typical of every person who is against it.

Me: "Gimme a good convincing reason why it's bad"
Them: "Uh...go find it ur self

I find it so intriguing that you anti AC swap people can't come up with even ONE good reason why lol.

If that's all it takes to keep someone happy and playing SWTOR, who the hell cares? Only nosy Nellie's like you seem to care. Only people who seem to think THEY should be allowed to dictate what someone plays. If "MY" AC had any impact at all on you, I'd be open to your argument against it...but the AC any other player chooses, is simply none of your ******* business.
Those good reasons have been given multiple times. I, personally, am not going to cater to your aversion to the effort of going back and reading them only so that you can dismiss them out of hand, claiming that they are not valid, simply because they do not mesh with your desire to see class changes implemented.

PeterTLJr's Avatar


PeterTLJr
05.03.2014 , 10:38 AM | #4448
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
Those good reasons have been given multiple times. I, personally, am not going to cater to your aversion to the effort of going back and reading them only so that you can dismiss them out of hand, claiming that they are not valid, simply because they do not mesh with your desire to see class changes implemented.
Do you ever quit? Every time someone calls you out and asks you to point out the negatives of this feature you back down and try to belittle them because you refuse to look back through the hundred posts in this thread, and most of which the posts are from you. We get it, you dont want this feature to ever happen, and that is fine, but if you are going to try to act like a tough guy and a "mr. knowitall" then actually take the time and research what you are saying and be ready to defend your own opinion/statements when someone questions you on them instead of saying this garbage about how you are not going to take the time to look through this thread to find previous statements of why or why not on whatever your currently talking about.
In order to appreciate the Light, you must spend time in the Darkness.
Peace will win and fear will lose.

ZahirS's Avatar


ZahirS
05.03.2014 , 11:37 AM | #4449
Answer for devs:

Legacy Perk: Advanced class respec cost 400k or CC.

Terin's Avatar


Terin
05.03.2014 , 12:34 PM | #4450
I know this is an older topic, but I'm equally curious. I'm seriously debating deleting my Mercenary, because I want to re-use the name and create a Powertech instead. However, if they are seriously considering the possibility of changing AC's, then I would happily hold off until such a feature were added.