Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ranked daily/weeklies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Ranked daily/weeklies
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Vodrin
04.22.2014 , 12:44 PM | #171
Quote: Originally Posted by JMagee View Post
But I'm at the point where I'm curious as to how I would fair in ranked, and if more competition would actually help me improve more. If you guys could have it your way, would you think someone like myself would be better off in solo queue or group queue. Granted the group queue would probably be people with similar skill sets as mine.
I think either of the ranked queues would be fine for you to try out as long as you go in with a recognition that this is a no holds barred competitive environment and you may very well get your but kicked hard at first. If you go in with that recognition and have the gear you state you do you will be welcomed by the majority of veteran PvPers. The overwhelming majority of vets only complain about those that come in with gear that doesn't even bolster well, a lack of augments, and no stims. If you are geared well enough to have a chance with skilled play (and you are), then you do belong in ranked as long as you keep trying to get better.

DarthVengeant
04.22.2014 , 12:52 PM | #172
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterSLC View Post
Nothing wrong with elitism. You made a stupid comment, so you got called out for it. Don't be mad.
Nothing I said was stupid. You just keep proving my point with more comments like this man. People don't want these kind of rude attitudes in games. People didn't used to act like this towards eachother in gaming. And, it's not your job to set online "calling people out". There was nothing to be "called out" on in the first place. Yet again, your attitude problem again. You can be competitive, but being rude, elitist, and condescending, no. Not qualities of a good player man.

No, it's about winning. And if ranked never popped on your server, then you ARE a casual for not xferring to a real server.
No, it's about playing a game for whatever reason you want.

A "real server" what exactly is that? O_o. I wasn't aware any server wasn't real.

And, exactly how would I afford to transfer 16 toon's to another server? One transfer is already expensive. Not everyone has alot of money. And, i'll bet you'll try to find something to insult in that too.

Why? PvE gear shouldn't be in PvP, and PvP gear shouldn't be in PvE. You keep basing your support/opposition for proposed game decisions on how it will affect you and your friends, not whether or not it will be good for the game as a whole.
Removing the PVE use of PVP relics wont do any good for the game as a whole since a very large amount of people use the PVP relics in PVE because the Brutalizer is second best in slot out of the entire game.

Have a good one man. I am done talking to people with your attitude on here. Gaming doesn't need it.

chosonman
04.22.2014 , 01:06 PM | #173
Add reputation points. At the end of the match you can vote up or down your teamates based on their performance.

Reputation points + wins = reward/rank

Vodrin
04.22.2014 , 01:12 PM | #174
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVengeant View Post
No, it's about playing a game for whatever reason you want.

A "real server" what exactly is that? O_o. I wasn't aware any server wasn't real.

And, exactly how would I afford to transfer 16 toon's to another server? One transfer is already expensive. Not everyone has alot of money. And, i'll bet you'll try to find something to insult in that too.

Removing the PVE use of PVP relics wont do any good for the game as a whole since a very large amount of people use the PVP relics in PVE because the Brutalizer is second best in slot out of the entire game.

Have a good one man. I am done talking to people with your attitude on here. Gaming doesn't need it.
Look. I don't subscribe to PvP vets insulting those who want to get into the game and have a different opinion so I support you from that standpoint.

Otherwise I largely disagree with you though. Having any gear obtained through PvP be a good idea to get for PvE is a problem because the current setup of regular warzones encourages casual gear farming and playing with folks doing that is not fun for PvP vets. PvP relics should not be a good option for PvE. Making them not work in raids/FP's may not be the way to do it, but some easily available PvE relics should be better for PvE. It would be miserable for PUG op groups to have to put up with casual PvP focused players farming gear for PvP purposes, and the reverse is also true.

As for playing ranked any way you want, it's fine if that is what you want to do but be aware that many of us play the game mode purely for competition and will be less than understanding if other players are not bringing the same level of effort. This is the one part of PvP in this game that even somewhat caters to those of us that want competition in PvP, so ver PvP players will not be understanding if you come into the game mode with less than max effort. Regular warzones and arenas are available if you want to obtain PvP gear while playing more casually.

Groncho
04.22.2014 , 01:21 PM | #175
2018 expertise
min
to get a RWZ pop
Ch
LATIN LOVER
Free Transfer??=

HeatRacer
04.22.2014 , 01:21 PM | #176
Quote: Originally Posted by Fellow-Canadian View Post
People who currently queue for ranked games have their reasons and don't need further incentives. It's growing the population of ranked participation that you need. More players means more competition. Incentives need to lure more participation.

Give people a reason to queue and you'll see the queue times decrease and the skill of competition increase.
One of the main arguments I keep seeing by the people who only want wins to count is basically, 'screw the bads/casuals/anyone-not-me because it's all about competition'. If that's what Ranked is in your view, that's fine, I get it.

Then I propose this: there should be no Ranked daily/weekly at all, and the Ranked matches should reward no comms. After all, it's supposed to be only about COMPETITION, right? The only reward should be your increased rating. Get rid of any comm rewards whatsoever and you can be more guaranteed that 'bads/casuals' won't be mucking up your Ranked matches. Then all that will be left are those who truly want competition.

Otherwise it's more than a little cognitive dissonance to try and discourage some players out of Ranked by making it difficult for them to earn anything, while at the same time saying you want to incentivize more players to join Ranked. Either way, if your primary concern is about making Ranked a competitive environment, then make it only about competition (receiving rating only) and not comm rewards.

funkiestj
04.22.2014 , 01:24 PM | #177
Quote: Originally Posted by illgot View Post
T
The losing team will start to abandon the match after the first loss or if they notice their opposition is good at PvP.
You get comms for losing, you just don't get daily/weekly credit.

If we are trying to maximize comms per hour then whether or not leaving maximizes this depends on
  1. how long to load out of the current arena
  2. time for queue to pop
  3. time to load in to next wz+ wait to start
  4. probability of winning next arena
  5. probability of winning the current arena (miracles could happen -- e.g. the other side has 2 DCs)
  6. comms earned for a losing wz
  7. average time to finish a wz
  8. time saved by leaving wz

(caveat: by "wz" I mean ranked arena).

If we queue 4-man and have some buddies of equal skill queuing 4-man then we can greatly increase #4 by leaving a loser against a clearly stronger team (not our buddies) and requeuing. This does not require win trading per se as long as our buddies will keep queuing until we beat them them fair and square.

assumptions:
  • we still have hidden ratings in preseason that are used for matchmaking (i.e. BW doesn't have separate rating/matchmaking code for pre-season and season).
  • people who leave are only queuing for comms to earn gear. Presumably this is less common after pre-season

depending on the variables, it may be the case that staying gives the best ROI. Clearly the longer it takes you to load out, load in and get a queue pop the better staying and losing looks.

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

funkiestj
04.22.2014 , 01:27 PM | #178
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post

Ranked is not for grinding gear. Its for playing in a competitive environment and measuring your abilities against other skilled opponents. Its already a relative travesty, putting a quest in Ranked that can be completed by losing is just straight up idiocy.
I am funkiestj and I approve this message.

L-RANDLE
04.22.2014 , 01:34 PM | #179
Quote: Originally Posted by HeatRacer View Post
One of the main arguments I keep seeing by the people who only want wins to count is basically, 'screw the bads/casuals/anyone-not-me because it's all about competition'. If that's what Ranked is in your view, that's fine, I get it.

Then I propose this: there should be no Ranked daily/weekly at all, and the Ranked matches should reward no comms. After all, it's supposed to be only about COMPETITION, right? The only reward should be your increased rating. Get rid of any comm rewards whatsoever and you can be more guaranteed that 'bads/casuals' won't be mucking up your Ranked matches. Then all that will be left are those who truly want competition.

Otherwise it's more than a little cognitive dissonance to try and discourage some players out of Ranked by making it difficult for them to earn anything, while at the same time saying you want to incentivize more players to join Ranked. Either way, if your primary concern is about making Ranked a competitive environment, then make it only about competition (receiving rating only) and not comm rewards.
And this IS the point. Comms are a waste of time for player that are appropriately "ready" to Que for ranked. Another issue is the fact that PvP consumables are better to obtain via regs. That needs to change ASAP....
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

funkiestj
04.22.2014 , 01:39 PM | #180
Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
And this IS the point. Comms are a waste of time for player that are appropriately "ready" to Que for ranked. Another issue is the fact that PvP consumables are better to obtain via regs. That needs to change ASAP....
I would be fine with:
  • top tier gear is purchased with reg comms (BW has to have a gear grind, right? Not possible to have no grind)
  • the only think ranked comms are good for is consumables

or, at the very least, make grinding regs the most efficient way to get gear so that PvE folks who are merely farming PvP for gear will avoid ranked because regs is better for farming.