Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Ranked daily/weeklies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Ranked daily/weeklies
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

cashogy_reborn's Avatar


cashogy_reborn
04.22.2014 , 11:50 AM | #161
If you think the Ranked daily/weekly should advance for losing, you are a casual and are not the target audience of Ranked PvP. Stop crying and go back to your mindless Regs.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

L-RANDLE's Avatar


L-RANDLE
04.22.2014 , 11:55 AM | #162
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
More queue pops do not necessarily translate into a good thing for Ranked. It needs to be filled with competitive players.

Unfortunately this game has driven away about 99% of the competitive PvP'ers to this point, so these are all just wasted efforts by Bioware.

Inevitably this quest will become participation based, just like the Reg WZ quests. You are already getting comms just for being in the WZ, and you can get a lot even in a loss if you are not a window licker. But its never enough for the casual crowd, they need to be able to coast mindlessly through everything and be rewarded for it. /facepalm
Cash, you know I never been a dev apologist, but recently, even though I an still agitated at some stuff, Alex has had more interaction with the forum crowd than anyone outside of Rob. At a minimum, I can say they have put their cards on the table. At least now, players know that they have a proverbial "pulse". PvP is on life support, but at least the channels are open in a public arena. This is a fairly big change compared to where we were a year ago when they removed 8v8 and just dropped the Mic..

I know we have lived on a hope and prayer the last two years, and its hard to ask for more time, but let's give it one more whirl.

Alex,
I'm not starting a petition or anything, but if you want to decrease Ranked Que times, look at the reasons why players left in the first place and fix them. I am sure everyone here would agree most of those actions are 100% doable. See how things go and continue to fix the mote long term issues like bolster/PvP gear, and ranked restrictions.

To do now:
Add 8v8 for team and solo ranked.
Add epic rewards as described in the stick based on some performance metrics.
Continually update rewards as to not be "stale".
Reduce ranked comms cost on consumables.
See what happens...
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

L-RANDLE's Avatar


L-RANDLE
04.22.2014 , 12:08 PM | #163
Quote: Originally Posted by Shevaresh View Post
I'll "re-evaluate my line of thinking" and opinions when presented with evidence and/or logics countering my arguments, thank you very much for the suggestion though I was, in my post, talking about the motivation for doing ranked at all, not the abuse/harrasment that people usually suffer when playing pvp(which happens at all levels of skill, ranked and unranked, in my experience) And while people queing with fully augmented Obroan gear and knowledgable of advanced arena tactics would be an awesome situation, fact still remains that is far from the reality (on most servers, I'd believe). To change that, Bioware implements dailies/weeklies to make more people que, which is a good (and hopefully) effectual idea, but my argument still stands that it will not be an effective way of motivating more people to join in this game-mode, as long as you're only rewarded by winning, as such a thing would be very far off for people not skilled in arena play already, as that is what they're faced with on low-populated servers(in terms of people playing ranked, that is)
Rancor mount should be the only evidence you need. You didn't get it if you didn't win.
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

Jadescythe's Avatar


Jadescythe
04.22.2014 , 12:11 PM | #164
Quote: Originally Posted by Shevaresh View Post
I'll "re-evaluate my line of thinking" and opinions when presented with evidence and/or logics countering my arguments, thank you very much for the suggestion though I was, in my post, talking about the motivation for doing ranked at all, not the abuse/harrasment that people usually suffer when playing pvp(which happens at all levels of skill, ranked and unranked, in my experience) And while people queing with fully augmented Obroan gear and knowledgable of advanced arena tactics would be an awesome situation, fact still remains that is far from the reality (on most servers, I'd believe). To change that, Bioware implements dailies/weeklies to make more people que, which is a good (and hopefully) effectual idea, but my argument still stands that it will not be an effective way of motivating more people to join in this game-mode, as long as you're only rewarded by winning, as such a thing would be very far off for people not skilled in arena play already, as that is what they're faced with on low-populated servers(in terms of people playing ranked, that is)
It doesn't appear you read what I wrote at all.

We don't need to fill the queue with players who don't want to do ranked simply to get a daily done or to get comms. We need to incentivise those who are already doing ranked to do it more often and attempt to attract more players that want to do ranked by showing it can be competitive and fun.
I have opinions and stuff

PifferPuff's Avatar


PifferPuff
04.22.2014 , 12:22 PM | #165
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.. whoa.. whoa.. whoa... whoa... whoa... whoa ... There are "ranked" dailies/weeklies?!! Really?!

If so ... well sh-*, I've been missing out. Then again, I play ranked arenas for 3 reasons: to win, for the fun of bashing up other players, and for slightly better gear -- in that order. I don't take unranked WZs seriously anymore; b'cos, that is a gear-grind casual romper-room glomp-smash mosh pit of chaos. But when I do, I do it for the lulz.

Ranked, on the other hand ... the few times it does pop, I find that the quality of the players is decent. For example: I've been in a match where we were duking it out for a good 20 minutes at least this one time -- for just the 1st round. We won that match in the end, but wow that was a good match up.

I do enjoy Solo Ranked Arenas staying at 4v4. It's easier to get into, and it's simple stupid fun to just beat the sh-* out of the other team's players. No goals, no objectives, easy to understand who to focus, and pre-round strats in order to win. Don't need VOIP, don't need a guild (but they can/do help). Solo Ranked Arenas are great where they are!

However, I would like to see the Grouped Ranked be 8v8 Warzones! Definitely! There should be more variety at ranked, and - hell - if the PVEers can get a 16-man DP HM group going, it should be doable to get some PvP guild groups going too. Maybe, they just need to make it a limited-time window of opportunity. Like a UFC Fight Night, so as to help organize the groups. Like, on certain days/nights of the week - and between such-and-such hours - Ranked Warzones become open to ranked competitors! And with it, more (or better) rewards for joining up and winning (more coms, a chance at a rare drop, something good) -- so as to incentivize the initiative to get guilded groups running. Cuz, in Ranked WZs the rules of engagement keep changing as the match progresses, and you need to have VOIP and good communications going, plus have a well-rounded out team comp in order to do well and win. Think of it as along the same lines as running a core ops group -- just PvP-style. Well, that's just what I think anyways.

So, if BW isn't going to (or can't) get X-Server Ranked matches going, then they really ought to look at getting 8v8 WZs back into Grouped Ranked. Keep Solo Ranked where it is, but definitely 8v8 grouped is the way to go. In the end, it would serve to eventually increase more participation as more players get comfortable learning within their guilds, and then have the confidence to join up in Solo Ranked too.

sanchito's Avatar


sanchito
04.22.2014 , 12:23 PM | #166
i'm sorry but people in this thread greatly overestimate the amount of skill needed to win in solo ranked. I played a ton of games over easter as a dps sage, which i practiced for about 2 days before, and i won my fair share of games. And i'm a 35 years old banker. If you have proper gear and are somewhat competent, you will win games in ranked.

If you have no idea how to play your class or can't be arsed to get augments, grenades, medpacs you shouldn't be in ranked in the first place. Nobody whitout a disability is incapable of getting good enough for ranked, if you are not now then play 200 practice games in regular and you'll become good enough.

Fellow-Canadian's Avatar


Fellow-Canadian
04.22.2014 , 12:26 PM | #167
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
We don't need to fill the queue with players who don't want to do ranked simply to get a daily done or to get comms. We need to incentivise those who are already doing ranked to do it more often and attempt to attract more players that want to do ranked by showing it can be competitive and fun.
People who currently queue for ranked games have their reasons and don't need further incentives. It's growing the population of ranked participation that you need. More players means more competition. Incentives need to lure more participation.

Give people a reason to queue and you'll see the queue times decrease and the skill of competition increase.
Exterminatos - Vanguard - The Harbinger
Kanadaii - Scoundrel - The Harbinger
Exterminatus is the name of a terrible order given by the authorities of the Imperium of Man to destroy an entire planetary biosphere and all life upon a world.

Shevaresh's Avatar


Shevaresh
04.22.2014 , 12:27 PM | #168
Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
Rancor mount should be the only evidence you need. You didn't get it if you didn't win.
And have the Rancor mount increased the amount of players playing ranked? Surely some yes, but enough to make ranked pop regulary on the low-populated servers? Not in my experience. If I'm wrong, then why are Bio implementing ranked dailies/weeklies to increase the amount of players?

Don't get me wrong, in an ideal world I'd rather just have ranked for the most skilled pvp'ers, just as (current) nightmare modes are the "game-mode" for hardcore pve'ers. I enjoy both, but as it is on my server, save for spending most of saturday afternoon/evening que'ing to get my fill, I don't have any other realistic options to get to play ranked. So yes, choosing between the "pride" of having ranked for the best of the best only, and actually playing ranked, I'd choose actually playing it (regulary). And while "Cross-server ques" would be an ideal solution for the problem, we'll all just have to deal with the fact that is isn't comming (anytime soon atleast)

cashogy_reborn's Avatar


cashogy_reborn
04.22.2014 , 12:28 PM | #169
Quote: Originally Posted by Shevaresh View Post
And have the Rancor mount increased the amount of players playing ranked? Surely some yes, but enough to make ranked pop regulary on the low-populated servers? Not in my experience. If I'm wrong, then why are Bio implementing ranked dailies/weeklies to increase the amount of players?

Don't get me wrong, in an ideal world I'd rather just have ranked for the most skilled pvp'ers, just as (current) nightmare modes are the "game-mode" for hardcore pve'ers. I enjoy both, but as it is on my server, save for spending most of saturday afternoon/evening que'ing to get my fill, I don't have any other realistic options to get to play ranked. So yes, choosing between the "pride" of having ranked for the best of the best only, and actually playing ranked, I'd choose actually playing it (regulary). And while "Cross-server ques" would be an ideal solution for the problem, we'll all just have to deal with the fact that is isn't comming (anytime soon atleast)
Yes massively. It nearly doubled the total number of overall players with a rating in a few weeks.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

L-RANDLE's Avatar


L-RANDLE
04.22.2014 , 12:37 PM | #170
Quote: Originally Posted by Shevaresh View Post
And have the Rancor mount increased the amount of players playing ranked? Surely some yes, but enough to make ranked pop regulary on the low-populated servers? Not in my experience. If I'm wrong, then why are Bio implementing ranked dailies/weeklies to increase the amount of players?

Don't get me wrong, in an ideal world I'd rather just have ranked for the most skilled pvp'ers, just as (current) nightmare modes are the "game-mode" for hardcore pve'ers. I enjoy both, but as it is on my server, save for spending most of saturday afternoon/evening que'ing to get my fill, I don't have any other realistic options to get to play ranked. So yes, choosing between the "pride" of having ranked for the best of the best only, and actually playing ranked, I'd choose actually playing it (regulary). And while "Cross-server ques" would be an ideal solution for the problem, we'll all just have to deal with the fact that is isn't comming (anytime soon atleast)
Again.. that's the point. Something as simple as a mount effectively decreased Que times in half during primetime, but what about now?

Well, they effectively "remove" the incentive and que times increase. I wonder why?

You can't be that naive to think rank needs any of this for increased participation. Ranked need stuff that is "worth it", and dailies are not worth it for anyone in the bolster system. It won't change a damn thang...
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango