Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Ranked daily/weeklies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Ranked daily/weeklies
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Z-ToXiN's Avatar


Z-ToXiN
04.22.2014 , 12:57 AM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
The upcoming (in 2.7.1) Ranked Missions only progress from wins. They are completed with 3 wins for the daily and 9 for the weekly. We will see how those amounts work in the wild and adjust accordingly.

Cheers!
Thank you thank you thank you.

Promote competition and effort in Ranked Arenas! Reward skill and success above participation!!

I 100% agree with the reasoning the dev gave for this decision. Keep in mind these are RANKED arenas - you get quests for participation only in regs and thats where rewards for mere participation should stay.
ADRAAJ SHI'KARI ARRIAN
◙ASSASSiN ╚╬╝ THE BASTION ╚╬╝ POWeRTeCH◙
DECEPTiON HYBRID < ♣ > HYBRID SiN TANK
<JAWA BUNNY RANCH> // <CLiCKERS>

Transairion's Avatar


Transairion
04.22.2014 , 01:02 AM | #102
Quote:
That does not happen in ranked, you're thinking of reg arenas.
Quote:
In addition to being matched by rating the match making system also determines the role of the character (DPS, Tank or Healer) and matches them with an analog of the same rank on the other team. This means that in the Ranked Solo queue you will always have a character of the same role for ones you have! No four healers versus four tanks matches here! We think this is a very exciting feature of the Solo Queue as it allows for team parity and creates better matched, more enjoyable PvP experiences.
I might be wrong then, since I can't remember if every Ranked game I did was 1 tank 2 DPS 1 healer and it simply refused to pop without that specific setup.

Quote:
You can already do this now. A new daily quest is not going to significantly incentive gearing up this way.
I disagree. A daily/weekly quest awarding comms gives a huge boost to the amount of comms one can earn through normal gameplay. A player who wins every game won't notice it so much, but a player who loses every game will get almost double what they normally do by getting the Daily/Weekly added to their total. Winners simply earn more than the Daily/Weekly already so don't really value it as much (but they complete it for extras in 1/3rd of the time).

Quote:
Why do most PvPers not queue for ranked?

1) They don't like arenas. These quests will not affect them, since ranked is already a superior form of gearing up to regs: so if they cared about getting gearing up faster enough to overcome their dislike of arenas, they'd already be doing ranked.

True

2) They're undergeared and don't want to get roflstomped. This will also not affect them.
That didn't stop me and a lot of other players queing during Season 1 even though I didn't have 2018 expertise yet. And quite a lot of regular Warzones are straight roflstomps as well (triple capped within the first 20 seconds ***?)

3) Regs pop faster, ranked is not a guaranteed pop. This might affect them, as the presence of a quest could provide the notion of "ranked might pop faster now since people probably want to make use of this new quest". Increase the general perception that more people are queuing, and more people will queue. That's what this quest is for.

This is true, but you also need to take into account Season 2 hasn't started yet and people don't know about/don't want to risk their rating in "practice" (though I don't think it has any effect on rating right now)

In my opinion the biggest reason for no Ranked pops are there's no reason to do it outside of the Season rewards really, but I think the Daily/Weekly will be enough to make it actually worthwhile at the very least for gearing

Laurreth's Avatar


Laurreth
04.22.2014 , 01:06 AM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
However we feel that having wins be the only criteria is a better way to go instead of making them games played. This is because of the incentive to play the gamemode for the right reasons (to win) is much lower for someone who is just interested in completing the daily/weekly.
As someone who has presviously had a run of four months to finish a non-ranked weekly (yes, Republic on Jar'Kai really sucks that bad), I honestly doubt that you will get significantly more players into the solo queue that way at least on the servers with dysfunctional communities. Sometimes, the daily/weekly progression is the only reason to queue in the first place, even if you intend to win.

Sure, you could restrict the group matches to only count wins for the missions, but doing so for the random queue is IMO nave.
I like how the whining about "censored" butts started instantly but it took 2 days for someone to notice the legs are also ****ed up rantboi

Twin's Avatar


Twin
04.22.2014 , 01:15 AM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by MarsherMeow View Post
The problem with it being wins is that its going to scare off people that are kind of on the borderline of doing it. They might be in all Obroan and somewhat decent at their class and they see the daily and go "oh this requires wins, I'm probably not going to win so I just won't bother"

Have matches played is going to attract a lot more people on the borderline and get them into it in the long term even if it does attract a few more "bads".
Why would a "Wins only" mission scare people off? You dont enter Ranked to get a mission done, you either do it because you wanna like it and wanna compete or you do it to get ranked comms faster then regs - and even if you lose you still get ranked comms. A mission is not gonna change that, except to offer a possible comm bonus if you do well.

And if there really is someone who bases his desire to enter ranked upon a mission...well im all good with that person being scared off tbh.
TWINMOON
"Click my -Referral Link- below for some helpful rewards
http://www.swtor.com/r/kBLBlJ
Reward Info: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

Twin's Avatar


Twin
04.22.2014 , 01:18 AM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by Laurreth View Post
As someone who has presviously had a run of four months to finish a non-ranked weekly (yes, Republic on Jar'Kai really sucks that bad), I honestly doubt that you will get significantly more players into the solo queue that way at least on the servers with dysfunctional communities. Sometimes, the daily/weekly progression is the only reason to queue in the first place, even if you intend to win.

Sure, you could restrict the group matches to only count wins for the missions, but doing so for the random queue is IMO nave.
Well i only speak for myself, but i assure you that i will make sure to have my missions completed each day, each week. So yeah, even if you're right and not many "new" ppl will be attracted, at the very least Im sure there are more ppl like me that will be in queue longer and more often then currently.
TWINMOON
"Click my -Referral Link- below for some helpful rewards
http://www.swtor.com/r/kBLBlJ
Reward Info: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

Zakmonster's Avatar


Zakmonster
04.22.2014 , 01:20 AM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by Transairion View Post
Assuming I get to full Berserker I'll go back to regular Warzones and use those regular comms to buy any PvP items I still like the look of (gamble boxes, mount/pets that kinda of thing). More importantly it'll mean I'll finally "up to par" for the current tier, and I'll actually be able to upgrade from Berserker to whatever-the-next-tier-is directly in months/a year down the line.

But why have that goal at all, why "ruin my games you filthy noob" to get there? Guild mostly. And because I choose to PvP, and no matter how low people's opinions of me I'm still trying to win, I'm not throwing or afking, and simply because you don't like it doesn't prevent me from queing.

If you have a guild you're queuing with, then getting a properly balanced team will not be an issue. Winning or losing a match will then become a matter of skill and minor gear differences.

I guess the two of us differ in a fundamental way - I don't mind not having the best gear to PvP in. Since I'm basically a regstar, I know that most people I come up against won't have full Obroan, much less full PvP gear. I might do group ranked with my friends, because it's fun to pit ourselves against good players. The daily/weekly might encourage us to start winning, but most likely we won't. Why?

Because we prefer Warzones over team deathmatch and having full Brutalizer doesn't matter so much in regs.

And if/when Bioware implements a new tier of PvP gear? I'll just use regular comms to buy Brutalizer - it takes like a week to get fully optimized for regs.


Quote: Originally Posted by Twin View Post
Why would a "Wins only" mission scare people off? You dont enter Ranked to get a mission done, you either do it because you wanna like it and wanna compete or you do it to get ranked comms faster then regs - and even if you lose you still get ranked comms. A mission is not gonna change that, except to offer a possible comm bonus if you do well.

And if there really is someone who bases his desire to enter ranked upon a mission...well im all good with that person being scared off tbh.
This, pretty much.

I might go do some ranked and see how well I fare. I've got the gear, I'm a decent player, but I'm not incredibly competitive. If I can get a good group to queue with and we have a decent chance of winning, then yay. If not, I'd probably stick to regs, because I much prefer Huttball.
The Harbinger Server: Caezia - Level 55 Vanguard / Cezia - Level 60 Powertech / Zaethia - Level 55 Guardian / Xaethia - Level 33 Scoundrel / Caedia - Level 50 Vanguard / Vaknia - Level 60 Mercenary / Xethia - Level 28 Marauder / Zaenia - Level 60 Juggernaut / Zethia- Level 38 Commando

Saaz's Avatar


Saaz
04.22.2014 , 01:21 AM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterSLC View Post
Well for one, having the daily grant rating would penalize people for not doing the daily every day. I'm a hardcore PvPer, but even I think that's stupid.

Another problem, which you brought up and then pretended to address, was rating inflation. 1200 is the .500 mark for Elo. Introducing a method to increase rating outside of games via quests, without any loss of rating to balance this, would have to inflate this. As the season progressed, the average rating would go up. That would be bad.
Thanks for the explanation Jedi. I think on your first point is a matter of perspective - it wouldn't penalise non-performance but would incentivise more participation!! Certainly there would be a benefit to doing your ranked everyday.

On rating inflation that could be managed through a few different mechanisms - rebaselining the rate of elo awarded after a win and decay on a loss as elo increases. Secondly (and more drastically) it could be done through a bonus 'pool'. I refer to the following article as a good example:

Http://en.chessbase.com/post/the-nun...e-championship

Its an old article but it talks to some really good points around an activity bonus (noting we need to adjust the frame of reference to tor from chess).

Some good points that talk to encouraging vigorous participation from new entrants and continued participation of high elo members are encouraged.

cashogy_reborn's Avatar


cashogy_reborn
04.22.2014 , 01:22 AM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by Transairion View Post
Obligatory "You're just bad" response. If it were 1 v 1 then maybe it'd hold weight, because it'd be very clear where one is going wrong. Less so when it's 4 v 4 and certain classes are head and shoulders above the rest, and certain specs are simply just awful in comparison. That's not an exaggeration either.

I'm just not the type of person who dumps their main to reroll a "viable" class just so I can PvP.
It really is that simple. You are just that bad.

Any class can be made to work. You just have to put in the effort
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Zakmonster's Avatar


Zakmonster
04.22.2014 , 01:26 AM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
It really is that simple. You are just that bad.

Any class can be made to work. You just have to put in the effort
I've been following your replies on this thread and I have a question about etiquette in ranked queues:

Are you supposed to be in full Brutalizer before you start queueing?

Or is it okay to be in half Brutalizer half Obroan (optimized, of course)?


Because I think there might be a disconnect in different people's definitions of 'gearing up'.
The Harbinger Server: Caezia - Level 55 Vanguard / Cezia - Level 60 Powertech / Zaethia - Level 55 Guardian / Xaethia - Level 33 Scoundrel / Caedia - Level 50 Vanguard / Vaknia - Level 60 Mercenary / Xethia - Level 28 Marauder / Zaenia - Level 60 Juggernaut / Zethia- Level 38 Commando

Pistols's Avatar


Pistols
04.22.2014 , 01:42 AM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by Zakmonster View Post
I've been following your replies on this thread and I have a question about etiquette in ranked queues:

Are you supposed to be in full Brutalizer before you start queueing?

Or is it okay to be in half Brutalizer half Obroan (optimized, of course)?


Because I think there might be a disconnect in different people's definitions of 'gearing up'.
Half and half is fine or even full Obroan tbh. As long as someone is wearing full PvP gear, augmented and has a set bonus, shouldn't be an issue. THe difference isn't game-breaking (Obroan to Brutalizer).