Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ranked daily/weeklies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Ranked daily/weeklies
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Fellow-Canadian
04.21.2014 , 07:54 PM | #61
Bioware tried the win only quest system for normal PVP before and it resulted in people abandoning warzones they can't win in large numbers. How will arenas be different?

Once I get my 1500 rating and I am guaranteed end of season rewards, what do I risk by quitting arenas I can't win in order to complete my daily/weekly?
Exterminatos - Vanguard - The Harbinger
BroadSideOfBarn - Commando - The Harbinger
Exterminatus is the name of a terrible order given by the authorities of the Imperium of Man to destroy an entire planetary biosphere and all life upon a world.

Flixx
04.21.2014 , 08:02 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
The upcoming (in 2.7.1) Ranked Missions only progress from wins. They are completed with 3 wins for the daily and 9 for the weekly. We will see how those amounts work in the wild and adjust accordingly.

Cheers!
Bioware, You've tried this before with only wins counting and it obviously wasn't working so you changed it so you could win or lose and still progress. You guys seem to do this stuff backwards.
Bioware finally added solo que to ranked but they eliminate 8 vs 8 ranked. Now they finally add a quest for ranked but make it so only wins count? LOL ...why act like it will be balanced and fun for those that lose over and over?

Solloby
04.21.2014 , 08:05 PM | #63
The upcoming (in 2.7.1) Ranked Missions only progress from wins. They are completed with 3 wins for the daily and 9 for the weekly. We will see how those amounts work in the wild and adjust accordingly.

Cheers!
I'm lucky to get 3 matches a day let alone 3 wins.

Just yesterday I was in an ops group for ranked PVP and we only got 3 matches in before the queue stopped popping. I got 2 wins and 1 loss. Some days I can't get a ranked queue pop at all despite a few of us calling out in PVP chat on fleet, and I play on the bigger faction side.

If an average solo ranked pvper has a 50% win ratio, then he will need ~6 ranked pvp matches per day to have 3 wins. That's an awful lot to ask from a pve server, especially on the more quieter days of the week, and I have to feel sorry for the Pubs - almost all of the ranked matches I play are Imp vs Imp.

Is it possible to have different numbers required per server, so servers where people are carrying these new ranked dailies over half a week can have lower requirements? I understand if this is not technically possible though.
The Shadowlands

Chrisweaver
04.21.2014 , 08:15 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Fellow-Canadian View Post
Bioware tried the win only quest system for normal PVP before and it resulted in people abandoning warzones they can't win in large numbers. How will arenas be different?

Once I get my 1500 rating and I am guaranteed end of season rewards, what do I risk by quitting arenas I can't win in order to complete my daily/weekly?
If you leave a ranked match you lose rating in addition to not getting the reward. If people are leaving that is just the type of person that they are. Incentives probably aren't going to change a douche.
They are going to be holding out the rating needed for the new season so that it may be even higher than 1500 this time around.
Bibidi -Sorcerer 55 Vgeta-Maurader 55
Chreal-Sniper 55 Gorrilla-Powertech 55
Bobidi-Assassin 55 Majin-B-Mercenary 55
Chrst "the risen"-Juggernaut 55 The Bastion

Flixx
04.21.2014 , 08:16 PM | #65
Then get rid of Bolster in Ranked. Problem solved.

_Adisa_
04.21.2014 , 08:36 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by illgot View Post
Player attitude has not changed.

If there is zero reward why stick around?

For fun? How many people play every game over and over and over and over and over and over just for fun without any hope for reward?

Zero reward means they will just abandon the game and eventually stop queuing.

This has already been proved when warzones only rewarded the winners.
Theres still rewards though. You have your end of season rewards as well as earning ranked commendations. I can't imagine even the worst of players not being able to win a handful of games in a week.
Axva
<Haukuna Matata>
Pot5

Nexus'one, Badlifechoices, Axxva, Lil'stinker

Chrisweaver
04.21.2014 , 08:46 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by Solloby View Post
I'm lucky to get 3 matches a day let alone 3 wins.

Just yesterday I was in an ops group for ranked PVP and we only got 3 matches in before the queue stopped popping. I got 2 wins and 1 loss. Some days I can't get a ranked queue pop at all despite a few of us calling out in PVP chat on fleet, and I play on the bigger faction side.

If an average solo ranked pvper has a 50% win ratio, then he will need ~6 ranked pvp matches per day to have 3 wins. That's an awful lot to ask from a pve server, especially on the more quieter days of the week, and I have to feel sorry for the Pubs - almost all of the ranked matches I play are Imp vs Imp.

Is it possible to have different numbers required per server, so servers where people are carrying these new ranked dailies over half a week can have lower requirements? I understand if this is not technically possible though.
That's unfortunate that ranked queues don't pop consistently. However with a daily this gives more of an incentive to do ranked thus increasing pops and chances to win.

As for average players who only win 50% of their matches. They have to work harder end of story. It wouldn't be a reward if it was not worked for. They might as well just send people 100 ranked comms in the mail everyday if that was the case.

As for pubs. Screw em that's what the get for fighting the dark side.
Bibidi -Sorcerer 55 Vgeta-Maurader 55
Chreal-Sniper 55 Gorrilla-Powertech 55
Bobidi-Assassin 55 Majin-B-Mercenary 55
Chrst "the risen"-Juggernaut 55 The Bastion

DarthAgonny
04.21.2014 , 08:53 PM | #68
This is understandable and will happen to many players, even me no doubt =/

However we feel that having wins be the only criteria is a better way to go instead of making them games played. This is because of the incentive to play the gamemode for the right reasons (to win) is much lower for someone who is just interested in completing the daily/weekly. A percentage of the Ranked population would be queuing just to complete a quest and that would be detrimental to the team. We feel Games Played with an incentive (Double counts for Wins) is more acceptable in Unranked games because of the larger team size (less personal impact on if your team wins or loses) and more casual atmosphere.

This is our current philosophy on the choice we made but if it isn't working out we will make adjustments where and when possible.

Cheers!
Alex Modny, you f*#$"$ing win sir, finally the pvp team in bioware understands the pvp mentality on this game.
Loving this game since day one.

Proudly Peruvian SWTOR's Ambassador.

cashogy_reborn
04.21.2014 , 09:04 PM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by Flixx View Post
Bioware, You've tried this before with only wins counting and it obviously wasn't working so you changed it so you could win or lose and still progress. You guys seem to do this stuff backwards.
Bioware finally added solo que to ranked but they eliminate 8 vs 8 ranked. Now they finally add a quest for ranked but make it so only wins count? LOL ...why act like it will be balanced and fun for those that lose over and over?
Yea lets encourage more window licking baddies to flood the queues so they can 'grind gear'.

Ranked is not for grinding gear. Its for playing in a competitive environment and measuring your abilities against other skilled opponents. Its already a relative travesty, putting a quest in Ranked that can be completed by losing is just straight up idiocy.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

foxmob
04.21.2014 , 09:08 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post

Ranked is not for grinding gear. Its for playing in a competitive environment .
yeah. I'm not mr. intensity. win at all costs. elite pvper. but this is just...I mean...it's what rated is, man. alex seems to have said as much. and it's the polar opposite of what musco said in the faq.

there's nothing wrong with being bad or mediocre or w/e. your rating will plummet. eventually things will sort themselves out. but there's something wrong with still grinding your gear in the middle of ranked play.
meh
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.