Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is companion character potential simply wasted in SW:ToR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is companion character potential simply wasted in SW:ToR?

Alssaran
04.21.2014 , 03:16 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
so I will just respond to the question in the title.

To answer your question, absolutely not. The companion system is fantastic in SWTOR. Could it be improved? Always.
This post was never to doubt the system in place (How Affection works, Crew Skills) and stuff. This post was, as later clarified, about the question if Bioware should've given us more then the generic companions we got. A way to customize our crew with people our character would spend time with. Not people he'd despise.

Please, if you don't read a post, then don't answer it. That's just a bull**** thing to do, especially if you want to complain about a letter.

Lunafox
04.21.2014 , 03:55 PM | #22
I have to say, I agree with the OP about the part where Ashara is the weak link of the SI's story. I would have had no qualms shooting her out the nearest airlock or cutting her to ribbons while she slept. Utterly useless, utterly annoying. That said, I really don't feel the need for that Benikos woman either. I have no interest in her character either. This is just my opinion of course, and I know others love those characters.

Is companion character potential wasted in swtor? Yes. Absolutely. There are characters all over the place I'd love to adopt as companions. Captain Beron...Lieutenant Rutau are a couple off the top of my head. There are many others. The biggest waste of all however, is the companions we're already given. There is so much we could do with them. The stories and adventures we could have. The battles, the scraps...leaving, coming back after reconsideration. The possibilities are endless.

Sadly it all depends on one thing: Bioware's inability or refusal to produce these stories for us. I can't hammer away enough at how important having individual class and companion stories extensions is. What bugs me the most is that they've even stopped giving us new dailies, now it's just fps and ops only, and solo players have nothing new. And I really don't care to get into a big debate, about how I should buck up and fp and ops with people. I won't. Nor will I play 'solo' games on my pc, xbox, or playstation. I like being alone in a world populated with other people, with only a very select few to interact with, kinda like real life.

So yeah, yadda yadda yadda, more class and companion story extentions and evolutions.

~regards,
The Story Lady.
More Individual class/companion story extensions!
~I came, I saw, I went shopping.~

wilsonstone
04.21.2014 , 04:37 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
I have to say, I agree with the OP about the part where Ashara is the weak link of the SI's story. I would have had no qualms shooting her out the nearest airlock of cutting her to ribbons while she slept. Utterly useless, utterly annoying. That said, I really don't feel the need for that Benikos woman either. I have no interest in her character either. This is just my opinion of course, and I know others love those characters.
I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I just wanted to agree about Ashara. I don't think my SI has even done the first of her personal missions. That's because shes so lame I don't bother to try and get affection with her.

The entire reason she joins the SI is weak, and then she spends the rest of the times saying stupid crap like "Don't make me against my teachings."....huh? What? You already have gone against them. Why bother saying that when you'll join me in killing republic troops? Its sad because there could have been a larger and more convincing reason for her to join the SI.
"The SWTOR forums....You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

robertthebard
04.21.2014 , 06:43 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by wilsonstone View Post
I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I just wanted to agree about Ashara. I don't think my SI has even done the first of her personal missions. That's because shes so lame I don't bother to try and get affection with her.

The entire reason she joins the SI is weak, and then she spends the rest of the times saying stupid crap like "Don't make me against my teachings."....huh? What? You already have gone against them. Why bother saying that when you'll join me in killing republic troops? Its sad because there could have been a larger and more convincing reason for her to join the SI.
There actually is a pretty convincing reason for her to join you, as part of the story.

Spoiler

Damask_Rose
04.21.2014 , 07:28 PM | #25
Is there wasted potential? Absolutely! I love what we do have in-game, but it could be so much more.

I desperately wish they'd continue the companions' stories. I think every class and gender should have had a choice in romances. Going forward, I wish they'd add new companions with engaging stories that tie into the up-coming explanations (sure I'd like to retroactively go back and get some favorites, but that's even less likely to ever happen.) I wish they'd give companions at least a little smidgen of dialogue in faction content so they'd be more than set decorations. I think they should follow through and add in real SGR options.

Unity 3d tutorials
Friends referral for free character transfer and unlocks

Lunafox
04.22.2014 , 01:16 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by wilsonstone View Post

Oh, exactly. She is also a nuisance to get to know. I think she's one of the most expensive companions to affection up. It seems to me she's cost at least double of everyone else. And what I dislike about the story with her, is that no matter what you want to do, she seems to always get her way the way the story is written. My dark side SI was a complete bish to her, and never let her do what she wanted, as much as possible, and so I was always buying out negatives. My lightside male romanced her, but didn't marry her, but she pretty much ran amok all over him with her stupid missions in her companion story.

I wish there were more sadistic options where she's concerned, or that we could fully turn her Sith, and not the wishy washy piece of trash she is. It also depressed me, that my male SI only had her to choose from for romance. Secretly he hates her guts lol.
More Individual class/companion story extensions!
~I came, I saw, I went shopping.~

DomiSotto
04.22.2014 , 10:09 AM | #27
Quote:
I wish there were more sadistic options where she's concerned, or that we could fully turn her Sith, and not the wishy washy piece of trash she is. It also depressed me, that my male SI only had her to choose from for romance. Secretly he hates her guts lol.
Guess what? That's the case of every one of the 8 female Protagonists. And you don't get any flirts going for half of them either.

Ashara might be a hard character, but at least she is a Torguta. Quinn or Iresso don't even have a cool species going for them. So far for me female SW is probably the worst class to play companions wise. If anyone needs a new companion, it's an unfortunate SW female that is offered a tantalizing perspective of sexually harassing Quinn in a brain dead way (You like me! No I don't! You like me! No, I don't... and like that 50 times)

What I would like to see is a universal male companion for female PCs (at least; SGR would be great' and male equivalent is good to have, but really, there is so much going for males already compared to the females...) with multiple different species overlays addable on the Fleet that will add a whirlwind crazy adventure-romance kind of experience throughout most planets. It might be a bit cheesy, but that's what this game really miss with its selection of too much like RL romantic sims-marry-talk about kids arcs with human male companions (well, you also can get dumped a couple of times too, hurray!). let it be about his story and personality for once, and FUN. And no marriage, just, you know, adventure & a few hot interludes.

Floredon
04.22.2014 , 10:25 AM | #28
This is where playing as a Sith comes in handy. You can Punish your companion at your whim. "Why can't you be more like Lana, Ashara? Now you'll pay for your insolence!" But yes, it would be great if you could recruit NPCs and throw out certain other undesirables.

Arkerus
04.22.2014 , 10:36 AM | #29
Wasted potential is a very bad term to use.

Your entire life is wasted potential, all the time.

It sounds like a good phrase to use to make a point, but really its a meaningless argument. You can take any aspect, of any game, ever, and say it has wasted potential.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

DomiSotto
04.22.2014 , 12:33 PM | #30
Quote:
This is where playing as a Sith comes in handy. You can Punish your companion at your whim. "Why can't you be more like Lana, Ashara? Now you'll pay for your insolence!"
Aw, it's more subtle with a Jedi. "You say you care about me, Qyzen? Alas, I cannot experience anything towards you. Wait... Wait.... Nope. Not a thing. May the Force---"

Quote:
But yes, it would be great if you could recruit NPCs and throw out certain other undesirables.
Unfortunately, the way Affection is tied into the game mechanics it will make things awfully difficult and open things to abuse. Getting rid of the companions, as probably was mentioned earlier, was an available option, but interfered with the game badly, and caused a swarm of complaints.