Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Random Acts of Kindness

Hoshkar
04.18.2014 , 09:23 AM | #41
Have yet to have anything like these happen to me. 13 year MMO veteran, not much stumps me anymore.... I have on the other hand helped a ton of people in game, which is hard when you have only been playing for 3 months. Most of them bite me back in the ***, I receive no thanks, or that person never logs in again... Yea, I friend list everyone I have helped, most of the time they might need help again later on.

Sometimes I might ask myself why I even bother, but some of the best times I have in the game is while helping other people. Sometimes it will even build a friendship, some that can even last many many years ( I still talk to people I have helped out in other games I have played over the years )

Not everyone is out there looking for a power level, or free credits. Even if you just answer their questions which might seem stupid to you can have a major impact on their game play, which in the end will make them not only stick around, but make them a better player for later on!
New to the game? (Get a free starter pack!!!) Just coming back to the game after 90+ days? (Get a 7 day subscription, a bundle pack and 1 character transfer!!!) Feel free to use me as a Referral! (CLICK HERE)

wilsonstone
04.18.2014 , 09:34 AM | #42
Last night I was doing the "Macrobinoculars" mission for the very first time on my 55 gunslinger. On Taris, right outside the spaceport is one of the objectives. I don't know if its random or this happens in particular spots for that mission, but right after I spotted the objective a 55 champion enemy droids pops up. Took me by surprise since I didn't expect it. The droid then began taking me apart. I was doing ok, but not good enough to win.

A group of low level players, three of them came running off of the speeder pad and jumped in. At first I was worried that the droid would kill them and I'd feel bad about it, but no one died....and they gave me just enough breathing room to finish the droid off. I thanked them and they ran off before I could say anymore. Wish I had written down their names. I'd have gladly given them a few thousands credits each for helping me out like that.

ArielaKnight
04.18.2014 , 09:42 AM | #43
My guild leader and my boyfriend were in tattoine one day (I think it was this week) and she was on her sage and she realized she didn't have the datacron that was in Anchorhead so she went to get it and then decided while they were there they could do something nice for the community. She put in general chat that anyone that wanted the datacron would need to come to where they were and they would group them and she could pull them up and get it.

She had my boyfriend stand where they needed to stand and they were a little busy pulling people up for a little while but I think it was so nice and sweet that she helped others get the datacron instead of them having to jump over the buildings to get to it.
The more you act like a lady, the more he'll act like a gentleman.

Kalfear
04.18.2014 , 02:48 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by JattaGin View Post
Wow! Respect. How did you get online back then? I still played with my Atari 2600 in 1991. The first time I ever witnessed something "online" was in 1994 at a friend's who used his dial-plate telephone to log into some online service (I have no idea what it was) on his DOS computer. I was not impressed back then (because I didn't understood; I only saw that it took 10 minutes to load one tiny screen of text).

Sorry for getting off-topic. But this anecdote is too cool to ignore.
Game was hosted on AOL so you connected to them through direct dial via 14.4 modems and early PC computers (sorry forget what computer was now, think I might have had a Compact)
Was the era of AOL, Compuserve, Imagination Network (later renamed Seirra Online which hosted The Realms MMO back around 93-94).

It was made by TSR and Wizards of the coast and used the old SSI AD&D Gold Box Engine for the graphics.

Great game but significantly harder then what we play now a days and hugely more expensive.

Pricing was $20.00/month for first 20 hours and then $2.95/hour (american and $3.95/hour Canadian) after that.
My personal largest bill was $800.00 (damn near got ill over that and quickly reigned myself in to have more control) but I knew people that paid well over a grand a month to play NWN on AOL.

Its funny cause SO MUCH of that game and The Realms game are still very much present in modern games conceptually. Massively updated of course but conceptually they all return to the original MMOs.

Warzone and open world PVP? NWN had it
Daily repeatable quest lines? NWN had it
Housing? Contrary to popular (mistaken) opinion, UO was NOT the first MMO to have player housing. The Realms was.
First full expansion for a MMO? That would be NWN (it was written by the actual players believe it or not)

Some people who never played the game like to claim NWN was a MUD, but it was not. It was a full blown early day MMO and a HUGE money maker for AOL. It was reported they were pulling in over a million a month (which is like 10,000,000+ now a days) for that game because of its popularity (and pricing plan).

Contrary to urban lore (and many many many incorrect wikis...which again is just user opinion and not fact checked information) there was a number of MMOs before UO or WOW.

NWN on Aol
The Realms
Dark Sun Online
Meridian 59
Twilight Lands

and then in '97

Ultima Online
Housing brought me back
now add Paazaak, KotOR#1 swoop bike racing, and more flashpoints and planets

RexCanyon
04.19.2014 , 02:19 PM | #45
This thread has inspired me to post for the first time.

I have played for about a year now and enjoyed every bit that I've done. Unfortunately it's been almost exclusively solo play. I have a social anxiety issue that makes it really hard for me to play with other people without stressing out. I'm constantly afraid that I'm going to upset the players I'm grouped with because I'm going to do something wrong. I've heard so many bad things about experienced players not putting up with mistakes from "newbies". I've not been able to do flashpoints or a lot of the heroics for fear of making people mad. Some of the anecdotes here, however, have made me realize that there are some really great, helpful, and patient people out there. Thanks so much for starting this topic.

TUXs
04.19.2014 , 11:37 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by RexCanyon View Post

I have played for about a year now and enjoyed every bit that I've done. Unfortunately it's been almost exclusively solo play. I have a social anxiety issue that makes it really hard for me to play with other people without stressing out. I'm constantly afraid that I'm going to upset the players I'm grouped with because I'm going to do something wrong. I've heard so many bad things about experienced players not putting up with mistakes from "newbies". I've not been able to do flashpoints or a lot of the heroics for fear of making people mad. Some of the anecdotes here, however, have made me realize that there are some really great, helpful, and patient people out there. Thanks so much for starting this topic.
Rex, there are a few jerks out there who would berate ANYONE, not just YOU - don't EVER let them stress you out! The vast majority of players I've encountered in game are exceptional people who I'd be pleased to help with anything if they asked. We're all playing because we like the game and the biggest part of ANY MMO is always the Community. We have a great one! Don't let the morons in General chat make you feel like that's what you can expect.

My best advice to you - join a flashpoint queue, in particular, one of the new "Tactical" ones. They're easy for any group of 4, and since you've been soloing since you started, I'm certain you'd do just fine in it. Most of the time, people don't say anything...just type "/p my first time here, I'll follow" and someone else will lead the way. I've 2 manned all the tacticals, you'd be fine sitting back and contributing when you can. Follow the group, wait until they attack and build your confidence slowly that way.

In the unlikely event you get a jackhole group member who runs his mouth, quit the group, wait out the timer, and get another...I promise that most are stress-less and fun

I'm glad you posted and I hope you take a chance!
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

TarisKnight
04.20.2014 , 03:38 AM | #47
I wanted to "report" an act of kindness that thoroughly surprised me. I mean, it is not that I havenīt noticed kind players so far - indeed, there are lots of them - but this one was unexpected:

I came to Hoth in order to do a little digging at an ambient dig site (I love that). And I noticed there was another player there digging already. Well, we passed by each other, greeted each other quickly but that was it. So I started digging and suddenly the message popped up "special treasure found...". Oh well I thought, no big deal, itīs fair competition - gonna head to the next area. At that very moment this other player appeared, requested to trade with me and shared 50 % of the content of his secure grade with me. Awesome experience! (Afterwards, we went together to other dig sites and I also shared my findings with him). And the "crazy" thing about all this is: when these kinda things happen, I mean friendly players and so on - the game gets a whole lot more motivating.

LegendOfShadows
04.20.2014 , 05:27 AM | #48
Great post OP, really a nice idea!

I've seen a lot of acts of kindness and I try to help other people as well, but I think that one of the biggest help I've received was back in January last year. I just started playing the game and decided to subscribe, even tho I had never managed to level a character past level 15 in any other MMO. So I rolled my consular and on Tython I met another guy who rolled a consular as well. We did the Heroic together if I recall right, and because we were from the same country we talked a lot. Anyhow, we both went Sage heal and on Coruscant he at some point was looking for people to do a H4. I decided to tag along, but since we were both heals, he told me to "DPS". This puzzled me, because I had never really played any MMO before. Because of this, I had no idea about even the very basics of what tanks do and what a DPS is. This guy explained the very basics of MMOs to me, which is knowledge that I use even today. I haven't seen him for over a year now, but if he ever reads this, thanks Cilja. Thanks to you I learned the best thing about MMOs, which is having other people to have fun with.

And because this thread inspired me I'm going to help newbies on Tython now .

Sempronos
04.21.2014 , 02:12 PM | #49
I had no idea this thread would take off like it did when I made it. Wow some great stories. I generally try to be helpful to people, but sometimes we all fall short.

Last weekend I got a little drunk while starting a new Sith pure blood Jedi Knight. On Tython, I found a wonderfully organized group of people doing an RP event that I decided to crash. Strippin nekkid I danced around their leader, set off firecrackers and holo dancers. I thought to myself in my drunken stupor that I was being funny, but I ruined or at least took away from their event. For that I am sorry. Waking up with a hangover and a memory of what an *** I was made me think ya its nice to help people but also easy to be a real jerk.

Generally though I try to help new players, or explain how a fight boss is taken down, and usually I give low level crafted things to people. Sometimes I will fill my bag with droid parts I made and hand them out on Tython for people to save until they need and can use them. One guy I handed some crafted items to logged in his main and mailed me some stuff he had crafted. So what goes around comes around.
---- There is no Spoon ----

freeoftime
04.21.2014 , 02:51 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by RexCanyon View Post

Oh, I feel you :'D Yay, social anxiety always so fun :') Apart from the advice you already got (and a general "put douchebags on ignore and who cares what they think, they're just a bunch of jerks and strangers" which I know is easier said than done, but still good thing to keep in mind) -- if you have a friend who plays too, queueing with them at first really makes it easier. I've only used GF a few times, and so far I've only gotten Kuat too, but having my friend do it with me was pretty much what gave me the confidence to try it at all.

And you [I]do[I] meet some nice people too, definitely Met a really nice Marauder while on my Sorc heals, funny and outgoing. Our fourth group member dropped after the first pull without a word, and I kind of immediately assumed it was my fault for sucking and asked in group chat if I did something wrong and he was all "Nah, don't worry about it you're fine". ...And I guess reassuring the newbie counts as a random act of kindness too |D

Other than that... While I was on Tython with my Consular, waiting for my friend to come back, I got a random trade invite.. I declined since I didn't know who it was and didn't have anything to trade on me at the time anyway, but then got a whisper that they have some prototype consular gear they don't need and were just gonna sell anyway and that I can have it if I want. Told them I didn't have anything to give back and they said not to worry. Thought that was rather nice