Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is companion character potential simply wasted in SW:ToR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is companion character potential simply wasted in SW:ToR?

Nickious
04.21.2014 , 07:11 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by freeoftime View Post
lmao

Seriously? Just because a companion might not fit your character doesn't mean they won't fit anyone else's, you know -- and the same is true in reverse.
This. Just because a companion doesn't fit in with your character OP, doesn't mean they are poorly written or doesn't fit into other's idea of a companion.

ZETA_SCORPII
04.21.2014 , 07:36 AM | #12
I wouldn't say wasted at all, different ppl like different companions so it's simply a matter of opinion.

ItachiZaku
04.21.2014 , 07:54 AM | #13
I wish we got Xalek earlier. It makes sense how and why we get him, but you don't get "bonding time" with him.

I love him. SO MUCH. He's just not great.

Ashara, I sort of agree with you. She is a Jedi with emotion, but my main problem with her is that she just stands there and watches you slaughter her masters. 1. If she's so full of emotion, she would join in. 2. If she just stands there and lets her masters die like that, why the hell would I want her? OH I know, to go fetch me some grade 9 trico for my Agent to credit droid parts. Gotcha, warm body.
"Be careful Preston. You're treading on my dreams. "

Alssaran
04.21.2014 , 09:12 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Nickious View Post
This. Just because a companion doesn't fit in with your character OP, doesn't mean they are poorly written or doesn't fit into other's idea of a companion.
Just for you, I read over my post again to confirm something:
I've never wrote: "She is poorly written." about Ashara. In her own sense, she's great. I could imagine her for my Consular without a second doubt. He'd try to get her to control her emotions, but otherwise it'd be a fine fit. She would do what's necessary. She's by far poor written in itself, just missplaces in terms of class in my opinion.

Now, what I'm also not saying is that my option on what fits the Sith Inquisitor as a companion is the "correct" or "final" one. It was simply an opinion about how I see it personally for my character.

I think many people missinterpret the threads title as: "Should we re-do the companions, in order to fit MY taste." rather than it's actual purpose: "Would people appreciate it to have more choice in how they want their crew to be/what sort of company they keep around?".

The initial idea, posted in the old thread by Sidenti was this, I quote:

Quote:
YES! One of the things that made Neverwinter Nights such a great game? I could hire ANY companion! I wasn't just stuck with Risha or SCORPIO or Torian or Vette. I could CHOOSE my party. Make my own story.
With that beeing said: If your Inquisitor is lovey-dovey with Ashara, perfect. It doesn't fit my taste, but whatever floats your boat. The basic idea behind this was to imply the following: "Could some of the characters we meet from now on be used as a possible choice for a companion?". Why isn't it possible to recruit some people you meet through the overall galactic story, such as Forged Alliances. HK is a good example. He was obtained via a long Quest chain which story-wise made sense. Treek on the other hand was just recruited out of nothing because they needed something from the Cartel market.

Wasn't this game initially about: "Forge your own destiny in a galaxy far, far away!"?

Why is it that you met so many people in your own story, even now during Makeb (The Sith Pureblood) and Forged Alliances (Lana Beniko) that'd fit so well into many peoples scheme of things which simply aren't recrutiable. That's where progressive storytelling comes in. It's about letting those stories personally affect your character, be it in a positive or negative sense. I simply think that the choices right now (Let's put in Treek as a companion while two companion characters which could be implemented aswell, and would also be bought/achieved stay out of the picture) seem utterly missplaced if so much potential is resting inside the overall galactic story.

Again, because I can't stretch this enough: I'm not saying Ashara is poorly written, neither is any other companion. They have a complete story, a character, they have goals. They're all very well written, just some seem missplaced for "my personal story". It seems a waste that people cannot recruit companion characters from an overall galactic story arc (Makeb, Forged Alliances), but instead have to stick to a simple mercenary contract to get a companion that, at least in my opinion (You're free to disagree), feels missplaced for most of my characters (Except my Bounty Hunter. He'd propably love the little trouble-maker.).

I think this threads question doesn't boil down to the fact if you agree or disagree on some companions in the story, or that I or people think they should be removed. I think it boils down to the question:

"Should Bioware give us more possibility in completing our own crew, thus achieving a crew our characters would get along with?"

Quote: Originally Posted by ZETA_SCORPII View Post
I wouldn't say wasted at all, different ppl like different companions so it's simply a matter of opinion.
This is the perfect summarize. Why not give people the possibility to act based on this opinion? If you see this awesome supporting character that you'd think would fit into your own crew, why not give them the possibility to recruit it?

BuriDogshin
04.21.2014 , 09:41 AM | #15
Treek is not really a companion, she's an over-powered crutch with an attached sequence of conversations and some annoying noises that give you an incentive not to use her. Make up a few legacy Aim sets with your GSF armor and she's good to have in your back pocket for some situations, but I'd far rather run with Temple, Vette, Mako, Corso, Ashara, Gus, Scorpio, or Xalek.

You know, BW probably has stats on which companions people use the most. It would be interesting to find out who are the most popular companions. Maybe even have a competition -- designate a week and award the "Ms./Mr. SWTOR Companion" title to the companion who gets used the most during that week. I'd spend the week grinding dailies with Vette.

freeoftime
04.21.2014 , 09:48 AM | #16
Ooooooo, I see what you mean now, I think. Though one thing, if I may ask -- how does existing companions not fitting your current character play into wanting to recruit new ones that might fit better? Would you want the ability to get Companions from another class? Because that... wouldn't work story wise. Unless they were to seriously dumb things down with how companions are integrated into the story, which you do seem to have an issue with considering your problems with Treek. (Tbh, I don't even see her as a "proper" companion -- I got her when she was on sale and unlocked her so I would have a tank/healer when I needed one even if my current class would have to wait a while to get theirs and for running crew skill missions. My Agent thanks me :'D)

Or would you want the ability to kick companions from your party if you don't think they fit? From what I've heard there were at least some you could get rid off in beta but then people whined over shooting themselves in the foot because they only realized that they might have still needed their healer afterwards. I've played some single player RPGs that let you do that, like DA:O -- but even then there were characters you couldn't dismiss. (I think for some random reason, you either had to refuse to let Wynne come with you or trigger a scene where you could kill her to get rid of her <.< And Alistair was integrated into the story in a way that didn't allow for him to get dismissed either, no matter how much my Wardens would have loved to.) I dunno, I guess it could be useful if you ignore the crying from people who killed/dismissed a companion they still needed because of mechanics.

(Though, hey, giving companions that don't immediately click a chance might yield interesting results I spent a good part of Balmorra and Nar Shaddaa whining to my friend about Khem and my SI felt similarly, but come the end of chapter 1 and it was all "Give Khem back! ;__;" and "Is that you, my morose monster? ;n;")

As far as adding new companions... tbh, they don't seem to care about developing that aspect of the game any more? From what I've heard of him I'd love to have Lord Cytharat (I assume that's the pureblood you meant?) for my SW and Lana does sound like she might get along with my Agent (depending on how that guy turns out when I'm done with his class story). It'd be nice if they'd make some optional companions (or even just one) for expansions, but I won't hold my breath for it. (And even if they did, the question would be how well those are integrated into the story of your character. And they might be someone who doesn't fit your character at all as well, just like Ashara doesn't fit yours. Meanwhile, some other NPC might have... Same goes for everyone else. Might run into someone who would be perfect for my SI, but alas, not the new companion. Meanwhile, the actual new one might fit him hilariously badly. And snce companions tend to be more resource heavy than some random NPC I don't see them making a lot of optional recruitable NPC-turned-companions just to please everyone who might run into someone and say "Hey, that'd fit wonderfully!")

Icebergy
04.21.2014 , 12:58 PM | #17
TLDR, so I will just respond to the question in the title.

First off, its SWTOR. Star Wars: The Old Republic. SWToR would be Star Wars: The of Republic. This is a pet peeve of mine and it annoys the hell out of me. Please stop with the ToR BS.

To answer your question, absolutely not. The companion system is fantastic in SWTOR. Could it be improved? Always. I would be an extremely happy subscriber to have more convos and stories with them added to the game on a regular basis. That is one of the biggest wants I have for the game. But to say its wasted is simply asinine.
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 7/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM
Jedi Covenant

SgtJeremy
04.21.2014 , 02:10 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by HeatRacer View Post
Lot of Sgt Jaxo fans (from the Trooper story) out there, myself included. It would've been great to have her as a companion, but certain...story choices you make would not have been possible (and thereby have meaning and enrich the story) if she were part of my crew.
This was the 1st person that came to mind after reading "wasted potential". But I agree they better serve a purpose as an NPC then a companion as much as it pains my troopers heart. I really liked a lot of female NPC's that could've been companions in my books.

The biggest companion potential wasted is still, in my books, Jaesa but that's a rant for another thread.
"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
"Victory at all costs, Victory inspite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, their is no peace."
http://www.swtor.com/r/pqwT9F Ex sub looking for free stuff why not use this.

Oneirophrenia
04.21.2014 , 02:33 PM | #19
What the companion system should've been:

A potential companion on every planet of the leveling path, each with their own unique quest line to acquire them. On Imperial side this would be: Korriban/Hutta, DK, Balmorra, Nar Shaddaa, Tatooine, Alderaan, Taris, Hoth, Belsavis, Voss, Correllia, Makeb. Note that Quesh, Ilum and Oricon were excluded for obvious reasons such as being a daily planet or just plainly too short and limited. In any case, that's a list of 12 potential companions (so far) from which each class can choose 5, 6 or 7 (whatever) to be part of their permanent companion roster. Even the ship droid would be replaceable. With this system, players would be afforded with the freedom to pick the companions that mesh with their character best or for other reasons such as crew skill bonuses.

The current companion system is a bit too... rigid.

Duskrequim
04.21.2014 , 02:54 PM | #20
They had so many possibilities... For instance in the Smuggler Story at the End of Belsavis you get a choice to kill or save Ivory. After you save Ivory he goes back to your ship. He was on my ship for quite some time and would have made a great companion.