Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will Tortugas ever be a playable race?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Will Tortugas ever be a playable race?

Darth-Obvious
04.16.2013 , 05:16 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
I really hate how they do races in this game. In Star Trek Online, one of the few things they ever got RIGHT, is the fact you can basically pick any race or create your own.

Hell i'd PAY to be able to create my own so i could have a zeltron.
Star Trek Online’s character creation system wouldn’t work in a game like TOR, or anything that has heavily scripted cutscenes for that matter that involve a lot of framing.

The character creator that Cryptic built for their games offers a wide range of customization, however none of their games have a bunch of cutscenes with tight shots on character’s faces or anything to that degree. If you look at the cutscenes in City of Heroes, Champions Online, or Star Trek Online you’ll notice that they almost are always these very wide shots that show everything in frame. This is because their character creation system allows you to adjust your character’s height and width to degrees that would be impossible to frame in close up shots due to the amount of variances that players could/would have.

Basically the more flexible you make your character creation system the less freedom you have you when making cutscenes.

Given that Bioware’s games have always had a heavy focus on story, and conversations, they can’t really ever have a really elaborate character creation system. Somebody would basically need to create some sort of “smart framing” program or script before that could happen, ie something that adjusts the framing on the fly based on your character’s dimensions, but even then there would still be a lot of problems.

Aside from just the framing there’s animation problems that would be an issue. For instance the mounts/speeders in the game, how would the ones that currently exist in the game work for something that was the size of Yoda or a Jawa? The fact is that they can’t because they’re not designed with those body types in mind, and if you look at Cryptic’s games, you’re not seeing your character getting in and out tight spaces like a car for instance. Height is one of the things you generally have little control over in character creators due to all the issues it can cause within a game world, especially when it comes to things like cutscenes and vehicles.

Darksarrow
04.16.2014 , 05:31 PM | #12
Personally id love to play as a Tortuga! lol id actually be happy to pay for that race instead of paying for a human with facepaint..... (cathar)

SW_display_name
04.16.2014 , 05:33 PM | #13
You want playable turtles?

Darth-Obvious
04.16.2014 , 06:17 PM | #14
Wow almost a year to the day with that Necro.

isaqueMar
04.16.2014 , 06:55 PM | #15
Tortugas and Nautolan should be playable

Adaliaya
04.17.2014 , 10:49 PM | #16
I want Togruta, that's all. After doing that I could take almost any species but I prefer Voss over Nautolan or Kel Dor, so
Togruta>Voss>Rest