Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New to Bounty Hunters PVE advice please!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
New to Bounty Hunters PVE advice please!

Sempronos
04.15.2014 , 12:39 PM | #1
I am new to the bounty hunter class. I have a 50 Jugg and 50 Inq but I stopped playing just over a year ago because I was burnt out and needed a break.

Well, now I am back, and I want to come in like a wrecking ball....sorry that song is stuck in my head.

I am interested in PVE, and will probably not do any PVP at all, so before I pick my advanced class I was hoping to get some advice. I have been reading the posts on both advanced class boards but I am more confused than ever.

You people use too many short forms! I do not understand these abbreviations.

So in plain language please help me decide with advanced class to play for a solo pve experience, and if you can explain your reasoning without abbreviations, I would be most grateful. I do not want to grind and be frustrated, but was hoping for a class and abilities that will make solo pve enjoyable and fun...and fast.

Thank you.
---- There is no Spoon ----

Oxidsed
04.15.2014 , 06:13 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Sempronos View Post
I am new to the bounty hunter class. I have a 50 Jugg and 50 Inq but I stopped playing just over a year ago because I was burnt out and needed a break.

Well, now I am back, and I want to come in like a wrecking ball....sorry that song is stuck in my head.

I am interested in PVE, and will probably not do any PVP at all, so before I pick my advanced class I was hoping to get some advice. I have been reading the posts on both advanced class boards but I am more confused than ever.

You people use too many short forms! I do not understand these abbreviations.

So in plain language please help me decide with advanced class to play for a solo pve experience, and if you can explain your reasoning without abbreviations, I would be most grateful. I do not want to grind and be frustrated, but was hoping for a class and abilities that will make solo pve enjoyable and fun...and fast.

Thank you.
Hi Sempronos, welcome back!
BH is a great class and will definitely be enjoyable and fun, no matter which Advance class (AC) you choose. Some more guidance on your preferred play style would be helpful in providing a suggestion to which, however at the end of the day, it is your choice.

To summarise:
- Mercenary is a range class (most abilities 30m) that can heal (bodyguard), has more cast based, i.e. turret style, burst dps spec (Arsenal) or a dot based dps spec (pyrotech). Mercs can punch out the damage before mobs get near you while leveling. All specs are competitive in end game PVE (there is debate on which dps (damage per second) spec is best, but it is only relevant at very high end, both are more than good enough). The heals spec is a strong spec (which I play) and it has no issues with current content.

- Powertech is a melee/short range class (most abilities 10m) that can tank (shield tech), has a flame orientated direct damage dps spec (advanced prototype) and a dot based dps spec (pyrotech). I'm not sure on how competitive the dps specs are compared to merc in PVE, (I know they are strong in PVP), but the ones I have pugged with seem hold their own well enough on the damage front. The tank spec is very versatile and performs well on all current content.

There is no grinding and frustration with leveling BH! They hit hard, get a healer as first companion, so it is cake walk. The story is interesting and both AC's provide good group utility in flash points (FP's). I went a light side merc and had a ball... but the thought of a dark side flame throwing manic powertech is very appealing, will start one once my assassin is 55.

If you have more questions, or want to know what abbreviations stand for please post up. Enjoy leveling BH, they are awesome!

SgtJeremy
04.16.2014 , 02:33 AM | #3
If you want to stand there and lay down the right hand of man with missiles and rockets and while having access to moderate healing abilities then Mercenary is for you.

If you want to get up close and personal and light stuff on fire while upper cutting people with huge survivability then Powertech has your name written all over it.

All in all both Advance Classes are very fun to play and play their role effectively. I personally recommend Mercenary but your tastes may differ from my own.
"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
"Victory at all costs, Victory inspite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, their is no peace."
http://www.swtor.com/r/pqwT9F Want free stuff, sure you do.

Sempronos
04.16.2014 , 07:51 AM | #4
I grouped with a BH last night and that AOE missle barrage looked cool and killed an antire group of baddies. I think I am leaning towards the shoot missles at their face type of character. So that would be a Merc?

dark-jehts
04.16.2014 , 08:26 AM | #5
yes , mercenary involve standing there not moving and nuking the sh*t out of the opponent with missiles missiles and missiles
LS Bounty hunter and always willing to help a brother !

K'oyacyi vod ! Pirunir sur'haaise !
The Mando'ad legacy , TOFN

Marxcyst
04.16.2014 , 10:31 AM | #6
Merc was my first character that I played, and found it very forgiving for a player who doesn't know what they're doing (which is what I was when I started). And it's a boatload of fun!
History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.

Sempronos
04.16.2014 , 01:32 PM | #7
Ok I am going to roll a BH Mercenary tongiht. When I finish on Hutta what spec tree should I use for shooting missles into baddies?

I just watched a youtube video of a BH doing level 55 dailies that was posted a few days ago and she was face melting everything, rockets, missles, jet pack in the air artillery blasting, and she was mowing everything down.

I want to do that.

Oxidsed
04.16.2014 , 06:48 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Sempronos View Post
Ok I am going to roll a BH Mercenary tongiht. When I finish on Hutta what spec tree should I use for shooting missles into baddies?

I just watched a youtube video of a BH doing level 55 dailies that was posted a few days ago and she was face melting everything, rockets, missles, jet pack in the air artillery blasting, and she was mowing everything down.

I want to do that.
Arsenal is the missle spec. Pyro is dot, gun spec (thinking powershot spam??). Bodyguard is heal spec.

emeraldon
05.14.2014 , 06:57 AM | #9
I'm leveling my own BH at the moment (level 10 atm.)

How's the story later on? Granted, it's a question based on personal preferences and feelings, but did you guys find it appealing?
Not Good Enough

Kaos_KidSWTOR
05.14.2014 , 08:36 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by emeraldon View Post
I'm leveling my own BH at the moment (level 10 atm.)

How's the story later on? Granted, it's a question based on personal preferences and feelings, but did you guys find it appealing?
I like both versions of the BH story, though if you like to have a quickly romanced Mako if your male then go light side. BH in general has 3 Light Side companions those being Mako, Torian Cadera, and Blizz. and 2 Dark Side, those being Gault Rennow and Skadge.

I would highly reccomend playing either a Powertech Shield Tech (Tank) or Mercinary Bodyguard (Healing) PT Tank is IMO actually one of the most fun trees in the game to play, you are almost invincible with the amount of DCD's you have and how powerful they are. Bodyguard Merc is by far the most OP healing tree in the game as of right now.