Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why does some crafted gear have worthless stats?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Why does some crafted gear have worthless stats?

Dabrixmgp's Avatar


Dabrixmgp
05.12.2012 , 05:47 PM | #1
Anyone else getting sick of REing a implant/ear or other item and finally getting an epic scematic only to end up with something totally random like cunning and a bunch of defensive stats? Cant the armor at least make sense please. This is just like WoW and its worthless armor with strength and spirit or agi and spirit on it.

Paranitis's Avatar


Paranitis
05.13.2012 , 12:12 AM | #2
Let's say you start with a green item.

You RE it, and you have a chance for it to teach you one of 3 possible options. Sure, they may not benefit you, but they may benefit someone else.

So if you have an item you are working on with Agility and Endurance. You have a chance to proc Critical, Overkill, or Redoubt. So that is bonus Crit, Power, or Defense.

For ME as a Vanguard, Agi, End, and Power is useless. I'd rather have one of the other two. I am not sure however that there isn't a character where Agi, End, and Power aren't all useful.

So if for me I get an Overkill proc, there is no way in hell I will then try to make Overkill items to proc the 5 possible choices from it. I would pick Redoubts and keep doing RE until I get something I want.

You might understand all of this however, and have a very specific item combination on your mind, so could you please clarify?

Dabrixmgp's Avatar


Dabrixmgp
05.13.2012 , 01:05 AM | #3
Been trying to make ear pieces for my future Sage and Scoundrel alt. All I get when I RE is stuff with either presence or defensive stats on it. Both are useless. I have enough companions and a level 50 human unlocked I dont need presence, While Wisdom classes do have a tank in shadow/assassin where defense stats would be good there is absolutely no reason any cunning piece should ever come out with defense stats. Or did they give them a tank tree in 1.2 or maybe in 1.3 that I dont know about?

Obviously I dont try and craft the ones I dont need in order to hopefully get a purple but theres no reason a cunning item with defense should be in the game. Also theres no need for anything with presence on it to be in the game. I think you can unlock like 500 total presence from Legacy, who the hell needs more than that.

DarthDemens's Avatar


DarthDemens
05.13.2012 , 01:11 AM | #4
It's the downside of any prefix/suffix based item system. Some stuff just comes out with odd stats.
Oh, great . you live on in our hearts!
Comprehensive Guide to Space Missions

ImmortalAlien's Avatar


ImmortalAlien
05.13.2012 , 03:13 AM | #5
It's random. You pretty much have to deal with it.

As explained above, you have a chance to get a Prototype version of a Premium item with:
Critical - Boosts Crit rating
Overkill - Boosts Power
Redoubt - Boosts defense

From there, you have the chance to get an Artifact item with an increase to:
- Surge
- Accuracy
- Prescence
- Alacrity (unobtainable if RE'd from Redoubt)
- Shield Rating

Each boost is added to the previous tier's stats.

This is unavoidable for all crafted items. However, if you continue to RE a Premium item that you got a Prototype schematic for you did not want, then you should be able to eventually get the other two prefixes and beyond.

JepFareborn's Avatar


JepFareborn
04.06.2014 , 04:22 PM | #6
Can somebody please help me (and others) by telling (or referring to link) what other gear is near or completely worthless to sell or put up on GTN? I know (currently) that assault cannons with cunning are pretty much worthless and REable for crafter or selloff to NPC Vendor. And Medium Sentinel armor gear with shield stat or defense stat (*same goes with Smuggler armor gear with shield stat). But which electrostaffs and techblades melee weapons with particular stats can I stop reposting on GTN?
I'm currently residing on Server - The Harbinger - formerly from Gauntlet of Kreshh
10% off starting price on ALL green premium 'armor' gear that I post on Galactic Market. But blue, orange, and purple gear priced at my discretion and availability. I do not believe in over-Inflation - I give 'fair & balanced' competitive prices.

phalczen's Avatar


phalczen
04.06.2014 , 05:34 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by JepFareborn View Post
Can somebody please help me (and others) by telling (or referring to link) what other gear is near or completely worthless to sell or put up on GTN? I know (currently) that assault cannons with cunning are pretty much worthless and REable for crafter or selloff to NPC Vendor. And Medium Sentinel armor gear with shield stat or defense stat (*same goes with Smuggler armor gear with shield stat). But which electrostaffs and techblades melee weapons with particular stats can I stop reposting on GTN?
interesting necro, though I don't think you intended.

Techblades were created because of an anomaly introduced in Beta when they changed Qyzen Fess, the JC's first companion. As far as I know, the melee tank companions that use Tech damage (not force damage, so say Qyzen, but not Lord Scourge or Khem Val) are the only ones that use techblades. Hence, techblades that aren't aim-based are useless. There may be more than just Qyzen but I thought I read he is the only entity in the whole game that uses a techblade.

Electrostaves I believe are used by melee dps companions, for example Vector, Yuun, etc. But Vector uses willpower and Yuun uses aim. There are some exceptions, SCORPIO uses an electrostaff and she/it is aim based and a melee tank. I don't know of any melee dps companions that use cunning, so I guess cunning electrostaffs would be pretty useless.

Tanno Vik, Bowdaar, Broonmark, and Skadge use vibroswords, but use either strength or aim. So, cunning vibroswords are useless. Cunning vibroknives on the other hand are NOT useless, as they help lots of companions, most importantly HK-51, and may help some imperial agent players.

So, most cunning melee weapons EXCEPT vibroknives are useless.
Sniper rifles that aren't cunning are for the most part useless, except for HK-51.

JavelinCatcher's Avatar


JavelinCatcher
04.09.2014 , 08:01 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
There may be more than just Qyzen but I thought I read he is the only entity in the whole game that uses a techblade.

Electrostaves I believe are used by melee dps companions, for example Vector, Yuun, etc. But Vector uses willpower and Yuun uses aim. There are some exceptions, SCORPIO uses an electrostaff and she/it is aim based and a melee tank. I don't know of any melee dps companions that use cunning, so I guess cunning electrostaffs would be pretty useless.

Tanno Vik, Bowdaar, Broonmark, and Skadge use vibroswords, but use either strength or aim. So, cunning vibroswords are useless. Cunning vibroknives on the other hand are NOT useless, as they help lots of companions, most importantly HK-51, and may help some imperial agent players.

So, most cunning melee weapons EXCEPT vibroknives are useless.
Sniper rifles that aren't cunning are for the most part useless, except for HK-51.
Actually Tanno Vik, and SCORPIO and Skadge can all also use Techblades since they are AIM based melee tanks.

KorinHyvek's Avatar


KorinHyvek
04.09.2014 , 10:09 PM | #9
Also, Yuun, Avaki, and Torian use techstaves, which are similar to techblades but optimized for dps instead of tanking.

The reason techblades and techstaves exist is so these characters can use trooper/bounty hunter armor, since they're generally soldiers or Mandalorians.


To make things confusing, though, Boonmark, Khem Val, and... Bowie use vibroblades, and Vector uses an electrostaff. These give force power instead of tech power. this is probably because since no one cares what sort of gear those tank companions use (since their models don't show gear), bioware thought those characters might as well use weapons that are actually usable by players. As for vector... I guess they wanted him to wear robes?
The Ferrin Legacy, Ebon Hawk
Major Volner Ferrin // Darth Hessar

Kaos_KidSWTOR's Avatar


Kaos_KidSWTOR
04.09.2014 , 10:43 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
interesting necro, though I don't think you intended.

Techblades were created because of an anomaly introduced in Beta when they changed Qyzen Fess, the JC's first companion. As far as I know, the melee tank companions that use Tech damage (not force damage, so say Qyzen, but not Lord Scourge or Khem Val) are the only ones that use techblades. Hence, techblades that aren't aim-based are useless. There may be more than just Qyzen but I thought I read he is the only entity in the whole game that uses a techblade.

Torian Cadera CAN wield a Techblade, and Skadge is a Melee Tank that wields a Techblade

Electrostaves I believe are used by melee dps companions, for example Vector, Yuun, etc. But Vector uses willpower and Yuun uses aim. There are some exceptions, SCORPIO uses an electrostaff and she/it is aim based and a melee tank. I don't know of any melee dps companions that use cunning, so I guess cunning electrostaffs would be pretty useless.

Yunn uses a Techstaff, like Torian Cadera

Tanno Vik, Bowdaar, Broonmark, and Skadge use vibroswords, but use either strength or aim. So, cunning vibroswords are useless. Cunning vibroknives on the other hand are NOT useless, as they help lots of companions, most importantly HK-51, and may help some imperial agent players.

Incorrect, Skadge and Tanno use Techblades, while Broonmark and Bowdaar use Vibroswords. Skadge and Tanno are Aim, while Broonmark and Bowdaar are Strength.

So, most cunning melee weapons EXCEPT vibroknives are useless.

Yup same with Cunning Auto-Cannons

Sniper rifles that aren't cunning are for the most part useless, except for HK-51.

For the most part though, you would use a moddable rifle for HK-51, and also he uses Cunning Rifle and Knife, he is the ONLY thing in the game to use both Cunning and Aim as main stats.
Replies in Bold