Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So that voice acting koriban incursion and for god sakes hire someone besides Steve B

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
So that voice acting koriban incursion and for god sakes hire someone besides Steve B
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

HoboWithAStick
04.08.2014 , 02:55 PM | #1
Decided to use my last couple weeks of sub time and come on and check out whats going on with 2.7. I did the Koriban incursion flashpoint and couldn't help but feel the whole time through that the character voice acting was suppose to be for something else.

My character hardly said anything short of half a sentence and each of the different voice actors just seemed largely out of place.

Now to be fair the none player character stuff seemed to be all original work but once again we see an appearance from Steve Blum. Don't get me wrong, I like Steve Blum but he seems to be the only guy you bring in to do voice acting at this point. Is he like the only male voice actor on biowares payroll or something? Its just getting old hearing him do every voice for every piece of content.

As far as the flashpoint goes it was pretty boring, but did look pretty nice so props to whoever took care of that bit. Also falling through the floor to transition areas? Pretty disappointing.

Darth-Obvious
04.08.2014 , 04:48 PM | #2
All the voice acting for the class characters, ie your characters, was recorded years ago.

All the voice acting you hear from the class actors from Makeb onwards is stuff that was recorded based on the direction they thought the game was going to go had it been more successful. For instance some of the dialogue is taken from future class stories that they'll (probably) never get around to doing.

Basically what they're doing is writing new content around the existing class dialogue and recording what new dialogue they need with a small cast of actors, notably Steve Blum.

However you're more than likely going to keep hearing him in every update. All of the the more recent story content stuff, ie Oricron, Rakghoul, etc, was more than likely all recorded at one time at some point after the game went F2P. In other words they had Steve Blum come in and record as much as possible for everything they have planned and anything they might get around to doing. Same goes for other actors like Tom Kane who you're also hearing in every update as well.

CourtneyWoods
04.08.2014 , 05:13 PM | #3 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey there,

While I won't go into our entire VO process, I do want to clarify that all of the voice work done for current and future content are not recordings from pre-launch that we have re-purposed. All of the dialogue is new.

As for your feedback about reoccurring voice actors, I can take that back to our Audio team.
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

HoboWithAStick
04.08.2014 , 05:56 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Hey there,

While I won't go into our entire VO process, I do want to clarify that all of the voice work done for current and future content are not recordings from pre-launch that we have re-purposed. All of the dialogue is new.

As for your feedback about reoccurring voice actors, I can take that back to our Audio team.
Thank you! Once again, I don't think he's bad, its just hearing him in every update is kind of getting old.

DAWUSS
04.08.2014 , 06:01 PM | #5
That reminds me of that one Frank Caliendo joke of having (I think it was) the Wizard of Oz voiced by Robin Williams and that's it.

Star Wars: The Old Republic - voiced by Steve Blum and that's it.

Nothing against him, but... HE'S EVERYWHERE!!! Let's get some new mouths in the recording studio.

TheRandomno
04.08.2014 , 06:08 PM | #6
Can you name someone he voices and I might remember who he is?
Tomb of Freedon Nadd.
I'm going inactive from SWTOR for a while, not sure when I'll be back.

Click for my referral link, you get some free stuff and so do I.

LtGeneralGezlin
04.08.2014 , 06:11 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRandomno View Post
Can you name someone he voices and I might remember who he is?
He voices the Huttball announcer, the Pub side GSF Admiral, and Andronikos Revel (The second Sith Inquisitor companion) just to name a few. :P
CE Owner - The Gallifreyan Legacy - Squad 238 Tester
55 Gunslinger, 50 Commando, 50 Sentinel, 55 Shadow.
50 Operative, 18 Mercenary, 55 Marauder, 55 Juggernaut, 50 Sorcerer.

GrandLordMenace
04.08.2014 , 06:15 PM | #8
This is hardly unheard of in the voiceover industry. In both cartoons and games often actors will voice multiple characters (Futurama, Simpsons, Mass Effect, Clone Wars cartoon just to name a few). Family Guy is another one.

Be glad this game has voice acting at all.
Rydarus of Aisthesis, Ebon Hawk's First Conqueror of Voss
GuardDPS PVE guide: http://dulfy.net/2014/01/30/swtor-vi...s-class-guide/
JuggDPS PVE guide: http://dulfy.net/2014/01/20/swtor-ve...s-class-guide/

BrianDavion
04.08.2014 , 06:21 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by GrandLordMenace View Post
This is hardly unheard of in the voiceover industry. In both cartoons and games often actors will voice multiple characters (Futurama, Simpsons, Mass Effect, Clone Wars cartoon just to name a few). Family Guy is another one.

Be glad this game has voice acting at all.
Hell go watch the credits for an 80s cartoon show. the transformers had like 5 voice actors at best, voicing EVERYTHING

Evil_Dave
04.08.2014 , 07:20 PM | #10
I second the motion to bring back voiceover actors not named Steve Blum. I can't stand him. Not for his work, mind you - he does a great job, and he's a great voice actor. Problem is, I hear him everywhere, and have since well before SWTOR came out.

There are now times when I hear him as the Bounty event droid, then as the Cathar dude from the same event, then as Admiral Aygo, then as a warzone announcer, and then in the new flashpoints, all on top of the other characters he voiced in the original release (such as Andronikos). I mean, come on guys. I totally understand that the nature of the game requires recycling voiceover actors, but in this case it's way too much.