Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reverse engineering end game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Reverse engineering end game

Ijoujin
04.03.2014 , 02:22 PM | #1
I know that 31 hilts, barrels, mods and enhns are REable and craftable, but what else? Are implants and ears? Relics? I heard that some relics will be REable with 2.7 but which ones?
To follow the path / Look to the Master / Follow the Master / Walk with the Master / See through the Master / Become the Master

psandak
04.03.2014 , 03:05 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Ijoujin View Post
I know that 31 hilts, barrels, mods and enhns are REable and craftable, but what else? Are implants and ears? Relics? I heard that some relics will be REable with 2.7 but which ones?
I know that at the moment all "Underworld" relics are REable for schematics. With 2.7 it is expected that all "Dread Forged" relics will be REable. And all of the different "configurations" are and will be REable.

As for ears and implants, all I can say is that I think they too are REable. However because there are versions that can be bought with comms they are not a sought: Verpine ears and implants are not as good as Underworld, but they are good enough when compared to having to pay a million credits or more for the Underworld versions.

What makes relics desirable is the lack of ability to buy them with comms; you either have to run operations or get someone to craft them.

Lastly, IIRC the "loophole/exploit" of being able to RE (for schematics) someone else's crafted anything was removed. So if you want to get the schematics you have to run operations and hope no one needs the upgrade.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Ulunnes (Commando)
Zaggema (Sin) Daellia (Merc) Carrud (Marauder) Quith'edi'ata (Operative)

high end schematics * best crew skills * crew skill money making * Reverse Engineering Rules
"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give it to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something else" Steve Jobs

Sundown
04.07.2014 , 03:40 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
Lastly, IIRC the "loophole/exploit" of being able to RE (for schematics) someone else's crafted anything was removed. So if you want to get the schematics you have to run operations and hope no one needs the upgrade.
Thanks, that might answer a part of the question I have.

Generally speaking: if (when trying to RE an item) a red text gives you "No research possible" I take it that it is to be taken literally: you can't learn any schematics, neither the item itself (if you don't know it) nor an improved version (if you crafted it yourself). Is that correct?
Which leads to my next question: has the overall behaviour changed? Because I was not able to RE a hilt for a schematics (red text as above - maybe explanation done in quoted post), but also no enhancements (I am an artificer on that toon) that were ripped from bought gear (doesn't matter if 66, 69 or 72).

psandak
04.07.2014 , 08:36 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
Thanks, that might answer a part of the question I have.

Generally speaking: if (when trying to RE an item) a red text gives you "No research possible" I take it that it is to be taken literally: you can't learn any schematics, neither the item itself (if you don't know it) nor an improved version (if you crafted it yourself). Is that correct?
Which leads to my next question: has the overall behaviour changed? Because I was not able to RE a hilt for a schematics (red text as above - maybe explanation done in quoted post), but also no enhancements (I am an artificer on that toon) that were ripped from bought gear (doesn't matter if 66, 69 or 72).
Yes take that "no research available" information literally: if you see it there is no schematic to be gotten from that item via RE.

Not sure what you mean by "overall behavior."

If you mean player behavior toward actively seeking these schematics, I would say no. There are plenty of players who want to be able to craft these items regardless of the front end cost and the probable inability to recoup those costs.

If you mean system behavior in that the system has changed, then yes. Prior to 2.0 when the best gear available was "Campaign" players would acquire other player's crafted items and RE them for the schematics. This was an unintentional loophole in the system. With 2.0 the developers closed that loophole: a player has to acquire the item to be REed or the schematic for the item themselves. For example:

I will purchase comms gear with one of three characters (my main and two primary alts), I will rip the armoring, mod, and enhancement from that item, stick them into a Bind to Legacy (BOL) piece of gear, and mail it to my cybertech and artificer. I can then rip out the item modifications and have a chance to RE for schematics

OR

I will build reputation in a daily area with a myriad of characters in order to acquire a schematic I want, buy the BOL schematic with my main (because he's got all the credits), and mail the schematic to the proper alt.

OR

I will run dailies and operations with a specific character to acquire comms or get drops in order to acquire a schematic I want because the schematic is BOP

high end schematics * best crew skills * crew skill money making * Reverse Engineering Rules
"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give it to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something else" Steve Jobs

Sundown
04.07.2014 , 08:59 AM | #5
Thanks a lot, psandak, for that comprehensive response!

In fact my "general behaviour" was intended to be understood in the way of your 2nd interpretation.

What puzzles me still: I did in fact buy some gear (even with the crafting toon), ripped out the part I was interested in, and got the "No research available" line. In fact I never got any "chance" to RE anything, no relics, no nothing... this is why I asked.

At least I now know to not waste my time with REing "no research available"-items.

psandak
04.07.2014 , 09:48 AM | #6
Can you be more specific regarding what items you bought and where you bought them from, and item modifications you ripped out?

Sundown
04.08.2014 , 12:35 AM | #7
Can you be more specific regarding what items you bought and where you bought them from, and item modifications you ripped out?
Example I know for sure: Arkanian relic of boundless ages. Bought from basic comm vendor at fleet.

As far as gear and enhancements is concerned: I will check today (need to equip my comp anyway) and can then name specific things. I just tried with some grade 30 enhancements ripped from gear I bought with comms at fleet (like that one: https://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/46...enhancement-30).

psandak
04.08.2014 , 09:26 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
Example I know for sure: Arkanian relic of boundless ages. Bought from basic comm vendor at fleet.

As far as gear and enhancements is concerned: I will check today (need to equip my comp anyway) and can then name specific things. I just tried with some grade 30 enhancements ripped from gear I bought with comms at fleet (like that one: https://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/46...enhancement-30).
in the case of relics I believe the only ones that can be REed for schematics are ones you get for tokens. Since arkanian can be acquired through comms they may not be able to be. In addition, because they can be acquired via comms chances are there is no market for them.

As for enhancements, what happened with the initiative enhancement? Something to consider is that I usually acquire item modifications from one character, rip them out, put them into a legacy bound piece of equipment (I bought a full set of gear from the Capital planet vendors), mail them to my CT and/or ART, rip the item modifications out of the BTL piece and then RE them. Maybe in that process the item modifications become REable for schematics.

OmenQ
04.08.2014 , 02:20 PM | #9
With 2.0 the developers closed that loophole: a player has to acquire the item to be REed or the schematic for the item themselves.
Actually... You can buy an armoring or mod off the GTN, or have another crafter make it for you, and still RE it for a schematic. The trick is, you have to equip it, binding it to your crafter, and then extract it.

Your statement is possibly true for other items like implants and relics, but I just last week learned a Reflex Armoring 31 schematic using this trick.
Squadron 157

<Your Companion> / <Unhinged>

Sundown
04.09.2014 , 12:39 AM | #10
in the case of relics I believe the only ones that can be REed for schematics are ones you get for tokens. Since arkanian can be acquired through comms they may not be able to be. In addition, because they can be acquired via comms chances are there is no market for them.

As for enhancements, what happened with the initiative enhancement? Something to consider is that I usually acquire item modifications from one character, rip them out, put them into a legacy bound piece of equipment (I bought a full set of gear from the Capital planet vendors), mail them to my CT and/or ART, rip the item modifications out of the BTL piece and then RE them. Maybe in that process the item modifications become REable for schematics.
Thanks for you patience with me - as it seems I was just extremely unlucky with the choice of items to RE. Yesterday I finally found some enhancement I could RE (at least I had a chance to learn a schematics).

For the record: I am not into making money right now, but I am looking for shortcuts to equip my alts.