Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So.. Account Wide Datacrons

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ratajack
03.31.2014 , 06:16 PM | #731
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
except... there's a difference between "removing" a perk. and "adding" one.

both are changes, but only one of them is a negative one.

furthermore.

rules are changing constantly. we use to get our first mount at lvl 25 and didn't get sprint until lvl 16. we didn't have legacy armor or even adoptive armor (that's a big one - it used to be a major pain and/or expense, trying to get moddable belts and wrists that weren't light armor) vast majority of legacy perks didn't exist. at all. hell, lvl 10 crystals with lvl 50 stats are a rule changer. collections is a big one, ability to just replicate sets of armor or crystals endlessly on ALL your characters (its not even legacy wide - its account wide) after unlocking them once. that's a big deal.

changing the game to provide better quality of life for its players? is a good rule change.
That is your opinion. Judging from the countless threads regarding this subject and countless other subjects, many do not share your opinion.

Some may feel that removing a perk may be a positive thing, depending on the perk being removed. At the same adding a perk is not always positive for the game, as a whole.

IMO, some changes are good for the game, but some things should not be changed.

Reducing the level requirement for speeders was a positive change, IMO. It makes it quicker to travel, but does not negate the need for each character to actually make those journeys. Reducing the amount of XP required to level makes the leveling process easier, but the leveling process still requires each character to earn the XP themselves.

If they removed the need for each character to earn his/her own XP and simply handed out an equal amount of XP to every character whenever one character earns any XP, that would be a negative perk to add, IMO. Many would see that as a positive QoL change, however, as it would make their game play time "more efficient" and easier.

Ratajack
03.31.2014 , 06:30 PM | #732
Quote: Originally Posted by Manweth View Post
If there's one thing I learnt about Bioware Austin in the last two years, it's the fact that they don't like to talk.

But when they do, those words do mean something.

Based on this, I think legacy datacron unlock is gonna be in the game at SOME point in the future.

( So suck it losers = earn them all individually sociopaths )

How far into the future is a matter of debate. They said guildships they'd like to add but didn't know if it could be done, about at what, March 2012?

So a very similar statement , I think we are looking at a 20-24 month time frame.

But there is something even more interesting. This post is a bit old, not a lot, but a bit.

Here's the thing. Jesse Sky is very clearly stated to be the lead OPS developer. And I checked he was the lead dev back then, he is still holdng the same post.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jesse-sky/26/222/701

Now, why would the lead OPS dev comment on the datacrons, hmm( insert yoda voice) ?

Think on it.
Allow me to quote myself:

Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
It was on ONE devs PERSONAL wish list over a year ago, not the wish list of the devs as a whole. That dev may no longer even work for BW.

More recently we have this:

Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
I heard Musco mention this in a recent podcast interview, he said it would probably never happen b/c it would require the devs to redesign the entire holocron system.

Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
http://www.twitch.tv/twonkhammer/b/504310253

Here is the link to it, IIRC it is some time after the 1:00:00 mark.
and this:

http://torwars.com/swtor-community-c...t-of-laughter/

which includes the folowing:

"-I asked if datacrons/codex etc. will be added to legacy in future. Datacrons no, achievements yes."
The last time I checked, Eric Musco trumped Jesse Sky, btw.

Manweth
03.31.2014 , 08:19 PM | #733

The last time I checked, Eric Musco trumped Jesse Sky, btw.
It's quite the reverse.

Musco had spoken from general knowledge there, as he normally does. Probably.

For direct answers he posts on the forums and states in streams, he makes calls and gets clear, definite info from associated devs.

He is community manager, not executive producer.

If anyone is trumping anyone's word, it'd be Jeff Hickman's.

With that side note, keep in mind that when he was on that podcast, he couldn't contact Jesse on the fly. So what you have there is Musco speculating on what he knows. Plus, he never came out and posted this statement on this or any other thread. Hence, until a singular forum post shows up, Jesse Sky's statement is the only definite info you have on this.

Which is very little. At the end of the day, if Datacron / platforming aspect ( the WORST WORST feature of this game --- ecause it was not designed for this, and game engine is horrible at those) is in the responsibility of the OPS/FP team, well, forget any sort of unlocking, I'm fairly certain we will only get 2 more datacrons even if this game makes it into lvl100 range in 7-8 years.

Thinking back on some of those nightmare crons, it makes perfect sense that Sky had a hand in it.

He's certifiably sadistic, as is his team, when it comes to certain fight mechanics. Those people who went into Warlords / Styrak NiM with appropriate ( 72) gear will know this.

Which is very ironic, since getting Styrak's chained big version down, while small ones are literally a meter away, really changes someone's perception on how useful that +31 bonus damage from willpower bonuses can change things. In the end, what necessitates those seemingly insignificant bonuses are the same game aspect that is least like the platformng game aspect.
Manw, Vigilance Guardian, Manticore, Red Eclipse
Gate Crasher, Dread Master, Eternal Warrior and all that stuff...

PetFish
03.31.2014 , 09:15 PM | #734
I'll definitely give credit where credit is due to the pro-Legacy Datacron people: they sure are great at clinging to an ancient, severely out-dated bit of information and using that as a basis of hope and the backbone of many of their ill-fated dreams.

Too bad they can't put 1/100th of that energy into bending over and picking up Datacrons.

PS - So if, in 5 years, they finally do make Datacrons Legacy-wide, it'll be hilarious to see all the pro-Legacy Datacron people posting here about how they were right and how those of us that didn't want this feature were delusional for 7 years. I wish I had a TARDIS right now to check it out.
D'alari'ia - Sage | Balthaza'ar - Gunslinger | V'alexi'ia - Guardian
Maligna'ar - Commando | N'althaeni'ia - Scoundrel | Palada'ar - Vanguard | C'alystri'ia - Sentinel
T'alari'ia - Marauder | Xalava'ar - PowerTech | F'alconi'ia - Assassin
Halona'ar - Sniper | Q'aldoni'ia - Operative | Kalyntha'ar - Sorcerer | Galvana'ar - Juggernaut

Arkerus
03.31.2014 , 10:15 PM | #735
You're very good about making assumptions.

To set the record straight, I work 50+ hours a week, bowl at least three nights a week, have a family and all the time consuming obligations that go with having that family. If I get 3-4 hours a week to play, I consider myself lucky. Each and every time I get to log in, I have to choose how to spend the limited time I have. Do I do dailies for credits? Do I run a HM FP or two for comms? Do I find a few datacrons for those bonuses? I recognize that not every part of this game is all fun and excitement. Some parts of it are time sinks and grinds.

Unlike some , however, I do not come to the forums begging the devs to change the game so that I only have to do something ONE time to have all of my characters reap the rewards for that activity.

Yes, you can send that set of mods between characters. You only have ONE set of mods to transfer. You do NOT get a set of mods for each and every character simply because you obtained ONE set. If there were a way to transfer a single set of datacron stat bonuses between characters, your analogy would be appropriate, but there is not. A single set of mods is NOT the same thing as INFINITE sets of datacrons stat bonuses.

I would support something such as the holoviewer suggested by a previous poster that would enable the transfer of those datacron stat bonuses.

That is not what is being asked of the devs, however. What is being asked of the devs is that they hand out potentially INFINITE number of sets of datacron stat bonuses simply because ONE character earned them.

You can dole out those credits earned by your main, but like those mods, there is only ONE set of credits to distribute. If your main earns 500k credits doing dailies today, you can distribute those credits any way you choose. If your main earns 500k credits today, the rest of your characters don't automatically get 500K credits just because your main earned them.

I'm sure that you'll just dismiss this again because it doesn't mesh with your desire to be handed datacron stat bonuses on characters that did not find those datacrons.
Keep on clinging. Its amusing.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

The_Miz
04.01.2014 , 12:51 AM | #736
Too many posts to read, I must be lazy But seriously, isn't legacy armor/mod moving just as bad? You anti-legacy datacron folk seem to think of your all characters as separate people, but I have decked out alts that haven't run OPS in forever. But they're almost all in 78's. Those characters didn't earn it, they must be lazy too. Not my main, he's a machine.

Personally I'd be fine if datacrons were legacy wide, but if not, not sweat. Plus the bonus from datacrons pale in comparison to the mods, armoring, enhancements and crafted accessories I sent through mail/legacy system. Those lazy arse alt characters of mine just won't get em
Smuggler for life and Member of the Brown Coats

Ruskaeth
04.01.2014 , 01:25 AM | #737
Please developers, ignore all the nay-say content in this thread and acknowledge all the yea-say content instead. I want my legacy wide datacron unlock.
| DiLiH Janitor - Dr'Slime | Brainfarting Operative Derp-Healz . ICE: Sozo & Merc healz or any dps class. SUPER ICE: Sin & Jugg tank.

Ratajack
04.01.2014 , 04:20 AM | #738
Quote: Originally Posted by Manweth View Post
It's quite the reverse.

Musco had spoken from general knowledge there, as he normally does. Probably.

For direct answers he posts on the forums and states in streams, he makes calls and gets clear, definite info from associated devs.

He is community manager, not executive producer.

If anyone is trumping anyone's word, it'd be Jeff Hickman's.

With that side note, keep in mind that when he was on that podcast, he couldn't contact Jesse on the fly. So what you have there is Musco speculating on what he knows. Plus, he never came out and posted this statement on this or any other thread. Hence, until a singular forum post shows up, Jesse Sky's statement is the only definite info you have on this.

Which is very little. At the end of the day, if Datacron / platforming aspect ( the WORST WORST feature of this game --- ecause it was not designed for this, and game engine is horrible at those) is in the responsibility of the OPS/FP team, well, forget any sort of unlocking, I'm fairly certain we will only get 2 more datacrons even if this game makes it into lvl100 range in 7-8 years.

Thinking back on some of those nightmare crons, it makes perfect sense that Sky had a hand in it.

He's certifiably sadistic, as is his team, when it comes to certain fight mechanics. Those people who went into Warlords / Styrak NiM with appropriate ( 72) gear will know this.

Which is very ironic, since getting Styrak's chained big version down, while small ones are literally a meter away, really changes someone's perception on how useful that +31 bonus damage from willpower bonuses can change things. In the end, what necessitates those seemingly insignificant bonuses are the same game aspect that is least like the platformng game aspect.

Go ahead and ignore Musco's comments since they do not mesh with your desire to be handed that which you have not earned. I ask, though, how do you explain the second part of my post--the one in which it is stated in no uncertain terms legacy achievements yes, datacrons, no?

Also, why have we heard NOTHING from Jesse Sky, or any other dev, that this is even still being considered in almost a year, if not over a year?

Given the silence that this is still even on the wall of crazy, and the statements that it will not happen, i would have to say that it seems highly unlikely that we will see legacy datacrons. Feel free to tell yourself I'm wrong if it makes you sleep better at night. Keep this in mind, though. In the time that you wait for legacy datarons to be implemented, you could actually find them on your characters and have those stat bonuses that you want so much. I doubt that you will do that since it requires a little effort and time, however.

Jamalzero
04.01.2014 , 04:27 AM | #739
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
Keep on clinging. Its amusing.
lol

PifferPuff
04.01.2014 , 07:29 AM | #740
To set the record straight, I work 50+ hours a week, bowl at least three nights a week, have a family and all the time consuming obligations that go with having that family. If I get 3-4 hours a week to play, I consider myself lucky. Each and every time I get to log in, I have to choose how to spend the limited time I have. Do I do dailies for credits? Do I run a HM FP or two for comms? Do I find a few datacrons for those bonuses? I recognize that not every part of this game is all fun and excitement. Some parts of it are time sinks and grinds.
Wow. First, congratulations on being a productive member of society. That's awesome that you devote so much of yourself and your time to your work and family! Good to hear . However, it would seem that my initial assessment was the correct one. So, I will amend my current assumption with my former.

It all makes sense now. Your leisure time is very limited, and, therefore, your opportunity costs are very expensive. As such, you have grinded out all of the datacrons on multiple toons, and that's a significant cost invested out of your time. It is understandable that you would feel the way you feel: [said in a whiny geeky Milhouse voice] "if they make datacrons legacy wide, it will cheapen the time I had invested in getting them all. Well, I d-d-don't like that. Not one bit! Errmh! It's unfair to me... Waaahhh. So, I-I-I'm gonna nerd-rage on the forums to attempt to dissuade others from liking what I don't like. And if that fails, I'll just call them names. Yaahh. ... I know, I'll call them 'lazy' - haha."

I know that you know it sounds childish, and perhaps the reason you didn't state this position from the start, but you could have (revised and edited to fit your language of course), and held firm to that conviction: at least it would have been honest, and people would have respected you for that. Instead, you have just been side-stepping the issue entirely, dancing around the bush, pointing fingers at everybody, calling them "lazy." Yet, the real issue remains unchallenged: you're retarded (the dictionary meaning here; not the vernacular): you want to hold yourself back for no other reason than a perceived potential trivialization of your time, and hope to inflict the same retardation, through your diatribe, to your fellow gamers.

Unlike some , however, I do not come to the forums begging the devs to change the game so that I only have to do something ONE time to have all of my characters reap the rewards for that activity.
Really though...Your leisure time is extremely scarce. Begging to the devs as a champion of the pro-datacron crowd would only serve to better your position. Think about it.

I'm sure that you'll just dismiss this again because it doesn't mesh with your desire to be handed datacron stat bonuses on characters that did not find those datacrons.
As I had stated a number of times before, "I am on the fence." I don't really care either way how legacy datacrons play out -- if they happen, they happen; if not, no problem. Although, I do lean a little towards in favor of them if they are implemented, but I am not resting my hopes on that happening anytime soon (if at all). It would be a 'nice to have' feature added, but not that big of a deal.

In the end, I'm not even arguing in favor or against. I am simply deriving my satisfaction, at this point, in disarming your arguments, and assisting you in your own self-defecation in this thread. Honestly, I did suggest that you not respond. I gave you that option. Sometimes, not saying anything at all is the correct response.

Have fun self-destructing in your verbose verbal defecation for everybody's amusement.

It's been a pleasure.

Cheers!