Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Have an idea for a Warzone? Share it with a Dev!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Have an idea for a Warzone? Share it with a Dev!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

caronome
03.31.2014 , 05:24 PM | #171
Regardless of map type, please learn from GSF: ABC please!

I.e., put letters on objectives on the map. (IMO a graphic designer should whip out their crayon and do it for existing maps as well.)

Going forward, don't make us have to figure out when the PUG says east in Voidstar do they mean East or West.

ABC please

Kalarie
03.31.2014 , 05:26 PM | #172
How about a moving King of the Hill (KOTH) approach with neutral spawn points, 5 sides, on basically a pyramid?

1) Instaspawn and take a speeder to one of the 5 points you select by tapping the corresponding speeder.
2) just be in the node (20m wide) to control it. Team with most players in node controls is and gains 1 pt per second.
3) Controlling 2 nodes, is 2 pts per second, 3=3, 4=4, and 5=5.
4) nodes slowly move up and down the pyramid until all 5 converge on top, forcing players to both guard and engage in pvp
5) tunnels make for 3 effective layers, the top where everyone has to be at, and the middle and bottom layers where teams can move in the middle to zerg nodes or try moving around the edges
6) 1st team to 1500 pts wins

poor image file being uploaded here
Astronamer
Most other "Astro" names on the Harbinger
"Foster" legacy

WEIRDLITTLEBRO
03.31.2014 , 05:27 PM | #173
I'd like to see maps with more opportunities to use the layout to your tactical advantage like with line of sight or multiple vertical levels. Or mechanics like periodic bombing runs or artillery strikes. Maybe you see a flashing target marker on your character that means you're being targeted by an NPC sniper and you have to use line-of-sight cover to avoid being one-shotted. Anything to get people to fight a bit more smartly instead of just charging in and button mashing.
^v^v^ <Galactic Fifth Column> ^v^v^
Republic and Empire both call us "terrorists." That's nerfdrek. Terrorists target the innocent. We're fighting to save them.
Founded March 9, 2011 | Story-Driven PvX Guild | The Ebon Hawk
Guild Website | Accepting Applications | Guild Trailer

Clogski
03.31.2014 , 05:28 PM | #174
I'm sure this has been said but a capture the flag type of warzone would be awesome! Yes this is a variant of Warsong Gulch..its just a map and warzone I would like to play in Swtor. This could be a similar game type to Huttball with sponsorship from the Hutts.

Capture the Huttball! (I don't know why.....)
Notes:
-Huttball or Flag works! I'ma stick with the flag idea though cause how much I love balls I don't want to say it 20 times.
-12 minute time limit or whoever gets 4 or 6 flag captures first. (maybe tweak around with the captures a little...)
-One is the Frogdog team (Yellow flag) other is the Rotworms team (purple flag).
-Flag on both teams spawn area.
-A big open area in the middle of the map for those death matchers (gotta make 'em happy) This also gives enough room to run the flag back to your teams spawn to cap the flag.
-Lava for environmental hazards (works well with a Belsavis map)
-If both flags are being turtled and the more time it takes to cap, the more dmg the flag carrier takes (or the flag just explodes because the Hutts don't like turtles!) When the flag carrier dies it goes back to its spawn.
-Flag is "passable" much like the Huttball. (Possibly have it as the same ability so its one less keybind.)
Of course I would love to make this more original but I am in no way creative in designing maps. ^^

Environment ideas:
-Belsavis!
-Lava

~

I would also like to see a 12v12 or 16v16 warzone with 5 or so nodes to cap. This would be a lot of fun. (if and when xserver queues come out..)
☆:*`*:.MagdalenaFaerieElandriaTamami.:*`*:.☆
...`. <Guerrilla Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Apex> .`...
Sorry my heals missed. =x

NathanielStarr
03.31.2014 , 05:29 PM | #175
I personally would like it if there was a concordant GSF match that affected a ground pvp match.

Either you fight one and then the other (GSF first I would assume) and the team that won the first gains a small advantage in the second part (not to mention more rewards for the first match than the losing team).

OR

They happen at the same time like the end of Return of the Jedi and the ground team has to take points to assist the space team or vice-versa.

This would also be great in a PvE scenerio too.

kaya
03.31.2014 , 05:29 PM | #176
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
A moving King of the Hill is a game type we have talked about. We like the idea but one concern is that it might end up just being a moving dogpile where the whole team is fighting the entire enemy team, making the whole experience a cluster on one point. What do yall think?

Good luck with the cooking Rasen!
Tbh a massive dogpile would be fun the odd time. The 7v8 fights in voidstar have their moments the same way the solo fights in novarre / alderaan have theirs.

Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
Ah yes Murderball! I like this game mode but as you alluded to it suffers from the whole team pocket healing one person and turtling.

How would turtling be prevented? How do we keep the crystal moving around? How do we make healers not OP in this game mode? For example, what if you couldn't be healed (like when you are in the Arena sudden death Acid Cloud) while you carried the crystal, good idea? Bad idea?
If you couldn't heal you'd die in seconds really so ... I dunno, could add an absorb shield to eat through before you start losing health or something? Killing an enemy increases the shield duration?

I'd love an alteraac valley style wz. Im guessing the game just isn't really built for that though and in practice it'd be lousy. Having lots of npc's running around in a moba style wz could scratch the itch though.

I'd like a more inimate wz though. Something a bit smaller maybe. A dogpile wz thats kind of chaotic would be good
Thanks for this thread btw, its a nice idea.

NathanielStarr
03.31.2014 , 05:37 PM | #177
The MOBA idea would obviously be popular and interesting. I also think that NPCs would make things interesting.

ByeToWoW
03.31.2014 , 05:42 PM | #178
First, my favorite aspects of the the current Warzones:

Novare Coast: The best part of this map and set of mechanics is the ability to be losing and then at the last minute, recap a node, resulting in a 2-0 victory. Basically, I like how this game is never decided when it starts, and it is always possible to get a win regardless of how bleak the outcome is (assuming relatively equal teams).

Voidstar: I like how this match can be a bunch of damage. I like how defenders on this match will (usually) end up getting lots of action due to the close proximity of the doors themselves.

Huttball: My favorite Warzone, by far. The sheer differing amount of things you can do to aid your team, or simply just have fun on your own, is quite awesome.

Civil War: I like how this map can become stressful as the defenders (the team with 2 nodes) have to react to the movements of the opposing team (assuming each team is relatively equal). There becomes an ebb and flow of the movements that is rather fun to predict and execute.

Ancient Hypergate: I really like this map, probably my second favorite. I enjoy having the option to score points 2 ways. 1 with objectives, and the other with simply killing. I think this map and set of mechanics caters to the most people possible; the PvE crowd, the Warzone crowd, and the Arena crowd.

Arenas: Honestly not very fond of the arenas as a whole, but I live them. My favorite part is that we get more than just 1 chance to win the game.

Bottom Line... I would say my request for whatever this new game becomes are:

1) ...For it to have options. I hate being forced to use the same strategy over and over. I guess this is why I like Huttball and Ancient Hypergate.
2) ...For it to not only have options for playing (winning), but also a rotating (random) set of winning conditions so the same match happening back to back would be somewhat rare.
3) ..For the new game to ALWAYS be possible to win regardless of the current outcome. Civil War has a mathematically consistent ability to basically be done and over once a certain point has been reached. I would rather it be "it can still be anyone's game" type of scoring similar to Novare Coast, or more realistically like Hypergate.
4) ...If the new game requires people to guard a node, then that job needs to be something other than just sit and wait. I honestly have no idea what that could be, but something. Perhaps interacting with, or even mounting, a turret and using that to aid your team from longer-distance whilst still "guarding" the node.
5) ...I would prefer the map to be a bit on the smaller side too. (Just think, that means less development time which = less money). I tend to spend a bit too much time just running from place to place. If not smaller, than there needs to be a way to "warp" to another spot on the map via interacting with some sort of gate.

Those are all of my ideas. I hope you find them informative and helpful. I also hope my post serves to keep things positively motivated and not a bunch of negativity. You guys who are the devs have improved upon launch-pvp-status tremendously. Keep it up! Which by the very nature of this thread, means that you are, or at least intend to.

KingofGob
03.31.2014 , 05:43 PM | #179
Here's the basis for my idea: A new KotH style map with a SWTOR inspired twist to keep it from devolving into teams ramming head first into one another over and over. Map layout is going to be a key for this one so I will add a sketch when I get some free time at work, but basically it's a three tiered pyramid leading to two unconnected scoring platforms at the highest tier. Teams score points based on the difference in number of players in each zone. So if you have 4 players in the zone and the other team has 3 you score 1 point per second or few seconds depending on what the score limit is/how you want scoring to be handled. The platforms are elevated to encourage good use of knockbacks, pulls, physics etc.. The platforms should be around 20 meters apart allowing for some interaction (ranged dps, leaps, crossheals etc.) possible, but getting close to the edge puts you at higher risk of being knocked off. The added facet that makes this more than just a two point KotH is that there is a Huttball placed on the ground floor. A player holding the Huttball gives their team a multiplier to all points scored while they hold it (say double points). If a team is brave enough to take the Huttball into a scoring area they will gain an additional scoring multiplier (maybe triple or quadruple points). This will force teams to balance between going for the Huttball and keeping players in the scoring zones, as well as provides a comeback mechanism that allows teams to go all in on getting the ball in the zone and getting that big multiplier. The close platform location also allows for passing of the Huttball between the two platforms which is a nice side effect. Like I said,the layout is very important since you don't want to make turtling the ball too easy, but I think this is a solid concept to start with. Let me know what you think and I'll continue to make changes as I come up with them.
~~GaddockTeeg~~
Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1cD2OMh
Unnamed SWTOR Podcast: http://bit.ly/11wHvEI
Twitter: @GTeeg

Skinnychalk
03.31.2014 , 05:45 PM | #180
Just more huttball maps.