Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Have an idea for a Warzone? Share it with a Dev!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Have an idea for a Warzone? Share it with a Dev!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

StrikePrice
03.31.2014 , 03:10 PM | #92
Simple tried and true ... capture the flag.

But, this WZ is big. Much bigger than the current WZs. Big enough so you can mount and it would take maybe 20-30s to go from one end to the other.

Two keeps, two flags, you have to interact with the enemy flag to grab it then you have to run it to your flag. Your flag must be on it's flagstand for you to score. First team to 3 caps wins.

I'm an old Tribes player, so CTF is my favorite game mode.

DarthOvertone
03.31.2014 , 03:10 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
A moving King of the Hill is a game type we have talked about. We like the idea but one concern is that it might end up just being a moving dogpile where the whole team is fighting the entire enemy team, making the whole experience a cluster on one point. What do yall think?
I really like the moving King of the Hill idea. However, and I know this is going to sound a bit weird, it would be more interesting if there was less of an emphasis on DPS when not on the Hill. For instance, you have the Hill radius where all of the fighting is happening, and of course that would be a DPS spam fest. Understood.

But outside the radius of the Hill, make the gameplay objective focused where only CC and Snares are allowed. Any damage done to an opposing player outside the Hill radius would be reflected directly back to the player doing the damage. (I know some stuns and cc are accompanied by damage, but that damage wouldn't be so bad if reflected back as it's usually a small amount.) So the only way to obtain boosts/objectives would be to use CC, Snares or Traps.

A potential objective setup would involve boosts and other things available outside the Hill radius that would assist either team in attacking or maintaining control. Examples of boosts could be Full Team Heal boosts, Full Team Defensive boosts, even Full Resolve CC Immunity boosts that have to be carried by a player to their teammates within the Hill radius and activated there. Those boosts would last a limited duration and would need to be farmed by whomever controls the Hill to maintain their domination or by an attacker who wants to gain supremacy.

You could place the boosts and other objective items in locations surrounded by traps and other things that players could use to stimy or kill other players since they would be harmed by doing damage to a player directly. Also set up half the boosts/objectives in locations that would pop a stealthed player out of stealth, and require these objectives to be carried (like Orbs and the Huttball) out of stealth. It would therefore be just as fun acquiring the boosts and objectives as fighting for supremacy on the Hill. It would also give players respawning something fun to do aside from just running straight back to the mob.
Alphawood - Alphanoob - Alphabolt - Garbage S1 Champion
The Bastion - #1 Stronk PvP Server
SWTOR 3.0: All Hail Maintenance Mode PvP!!

AlexModny
03.31.2014 , 03:12 PM | #94 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by kaimelion View Post
Isnt it a shame, that the PvP community is so morose, that they cant even take it seriously, when the devs want their thoughts?

However, this is my Idea:
MOBA style map, with the same objective: "The objective is to destroy the opponents' main structure with the assistance of periodically spawned computer-controlled units that march towards the enemy's main structure via paths referred to as "lanes" (wikipedia). While the classic moba consists of creeps and a jungle with mobs and both the PvPers and probably the engine wont like the, my suggestion would be to reduce it to just 1 lane with no NPCs, while still keeping the defending turrets. Question would be, if you actually had to destroy the turrets or cap them, since you need to cap everything in this game.

It would basically be like a Voidstar, where attacking and defending rounds are happening at the same time.

Now I wrote my suggestion. Guess I just waisted 15 minutes of my life for this, since this post wont matter anyway.
Interesting! Always liked the idea of a MOBA and MMO genre teaming up, it would be fun if done right I think. Would the turrets fire at attackers? If so how would the damage 'decrease' over the course of the warzone like they do in most MOBAs (via characters getting stronger items as the game goes on)? What would prevent players from avoiding each other to get to the last turret/final objective as fast as possible/before the other team?
Alex Modny | Assistant Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

bluesoldier
03.31.2014 , 03:16 PM | #95
A new warzone called cross server queues which allow me to play already existing WZ against players of a different server.

Also king of the hill would be a neat idea.
ANGRAD - BLUESOLDIER - RADHILI - CHELHIS - THE RELENTLESS LEGACY
R E I G N

Sith Empire - PvE ♦ PvP ♦ RP-lite
Official Guild Website

JaingSkiratapwns
03.31.2014 , 03:17 PM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by bluesoldier View Post
A new warzone called cross server queues which allow me to play already existing WZ against players of a different server.
That would be nice, but its not happening. The idea has been shot down for the last couple of years now.
......Meh

AlexModny
03.31.2014 , 03:19 PM | #97 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Ergale View Post
Hold The Crystal
Similar to the Calphayous phase 3 in HM Dread Palace, you pick up a crystal and it ticks you for damage as you hold it. You can hold it for a max of one minute, you gain points as you hold it, and you gain double the hold points if you max out the timer. Once the timer runs out, you either die, or go to 10% health and then it resets. The spawns for the crystal could be around the map, at multiple locations.
Overall Time
Around 10 minutes.
Gain 20 points if you hold it for a minute
(10 @ 10s, 20 @ 20s, 30 @ 30s, 40 @ 40s, 50 @50s, 70 @60s followed by the reset)
Score limit: 350
The fastest you could win is in 5 minutes if your team dominates and holds it for the full minute.
The Spawns
Players could have short respawns to make this a very fast pace game, it would be hard for the team that has the crystal to stay alive long.
Flaws
The one major flaw that i see with this type of gamemode is the ticks of damage while holding, This means you are not going to do well unless there is a healer in the warzone with you.
Ah yes Murderball! I like this game mode but as you alluded to it suffers from the whole team pocket healing one person and turtling.

How would turtling be prevented? How do we keep the crystal moving around? How do we make healers not OP in this game mode? For example, what if you couldn't be healed (like when you are in the Arena sudden death Acid Cloud) while you carried the crystal, good idea? Bad idea?
Alex Modny | Assistant Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

Capt_Beers
03.31.2014 , 03:20 PM | #98
Something without the need to have a guard. Huttball is probably one of the most engaging WZ's you guys have created and I believe that's because it doesn't require a quarter of them team to be standing around doing nothing for 15 minutes like in NC, AC and AH (AH is the worst because you're instantly flamed for losing the node to a double sap cap). I don't really have anything specific in mind but I would like to see more WZ's that don't require a chunk of the team to just stand around doing nothing.

King of the hill type matches would be nice using the mechanics from AHG where kills charge a pylon or whatever except there is one neutral pylon that charges from both teams kills. Once your team has X amounts of kill you win the point and the hill moves.

Another feature I would like to see in a WZ is the removal of the guaranteed loss. In a few of the WZ's there is a point where no matter what you do a loss is inevitable or would be extremely unlikely to come back from. In AC once the score is n to (n/2-10) the game is pretty much over. A triple cap is needed at that point but if it's 450 - 215 it's very unlikely that a team would be able to maintain a trip cap that long to come back. If a stealther gets past you quickly in the first round of VS it puts you in a really bad spot.

So my ideal new WZ would be one where combat is the focus not who has more CC to cap a node, there isn't really a point where it's mathematically impossible to win and to not have it be requirement that 1-3 people on the team stand around away from the action doing nothing. King of the Hill and multi-flag CTF with the ability to steal flags back form the enemy team would be ideal.
<HVND> <MALEVOLENT>
Keef-Stone 60 Serenity | | Keets-Stone 60 Seer | | Keith-Stone 60 Combat Medic | | Keeth-Stone 60 Vigilance
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | CaptBeers 60 Arsenal | | Kee'th 60 Pyrotech | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics

L-RANDLE
03.31.2014 , 03:20 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by DkSharktooth View Post
Note: This is a serious, yet radical and open minded idea. You might not like it as a DEV, but as a long term player, you will greatly enjoy this one.

The Idea: Instead of a huttball, I want to use the lead manager at EA / BW head to toss around, why their heads specifically? Because they are in charge of letting this game die, and I think it's only fair to make things interesting.

The Game Mode: Swtor Forceball, similar to american football. 3 abilities per player, any class: force push the ball (aka long pass or kick), sprint, pass the ball. As an "EA" game this should be simple for you since you can copy paste from madden or Fifa like you did from World of Warcraft.

Please allow the forums to add to this idea.
EA/Madden ruined one of my favorite franchises. Now they are ruining one of my favorite IPs..

I want core fixes, not new maps. This "baby kissing/bone throwing" is lol and lots are just sucking it up. Very ironic considering the recent Early Access drop. Must just be a co-inkie... Right?
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

JaingSkiratapwns
03.31.2014 , 03:21 PM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
EA/Madden ruined one of my favorite franchises. Now they are ruining one of my favorite IPs..

I want core fixes, not new maps. This "baby kissing/bone throwing" is lol and lots are just sucking it up. Very ironic considering the recent Early Access drop. Must just be a co-inkie... Right?
You are about to have this post deleted
......Meh