Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Pvp is too hard... starfighter piloting is too hard... I'm sticking with pve

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Pvp is too hard... starfighter piloting is too hard... I'm sticking with pve

UseKonDorm's Avatar


UseKonDorm
03.28.2014 , 01:49 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Essence_of_Light View Post

PvPers... I swear.
So you don't even PVP, and you are judging PVPers or content that revolves around WZ? LOL'd. What do a random PVE player such as yourself know about WZs/PVP at all...? You are in no place to criticize/give advice about PVP if you have no experience about it. Go away.

Essence_of_Light's Avatar


Essence_of_Light
03.28.2014 , 01:59 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by UseKonDorm View Post
So you don't even PVP, and you are judging PVPers or content that revolves around WZ? LOL'd. What do a random PVE player such as yourself know about WZs/PVP at all...? You are in no place to criticize/give advice about PVP if you have no experience about it. Go away.
I actually used to PvP quite a lot, it is only very recently I started doing PvE more (about 1 month ago to be exact) so don't act like I don't know jack sh*t. And even though I don't do Ranked & normal PvP as much anymore, I still do it once in a while when my comps are on crafting missions & my operations are on their lockout.

So stop trying to make a foolhardy argument against me when you know nothing about me and what I do.

You also ignored all of what I put in my post except for the last sentence because you have no counter-argument against it and you know I'm right. Instead you use your stupid "You don't know anything cuz u PvE loool!!11!1" response.

That just shows me how ignorant, hate-filled, and ultimately immature you are. Must be tough being so hate-filled and stupid all the time.

And as far as I can tell, you are not worth having a conversation with because the fact you ignore everything I post, and you have nothing useful to contribute to the conversation.

Again, PvPers... I swear.

(Also, welcome to my ignore list. Hope you enjoy the stay.)
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

Tevzz's Avatar


Tevzz
03.28.2014 , 06:44 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by UseKonDorm View Post
You have fun when half your team is losing you the game 90% of the time because they are not doing enough preparation for PVP? That's like saying a high school basketball is playing for an NBA team in the championship but it doesn't matter as long as "the players are having fun".

People like you is the reason why PVP in this game is not as great or as thrilling as it should be. You expect to equip PVE gear and have BioWare hand you the expertise. You don't work for it. If you wanna PVP or success in it, prepare for it and stop ruin for the others.
I know, the mentality you explain in the first paragraph is the worst ******** ever. Its similar to crap as "All that matters is to participate." That's a lame excuse for a poor performance and using it is refusing to see that the winners are simply superior to you, it gives you an excuse for not doing better.

And who cares if it's about ranked or unranked PvP. "All long as you're having fun, you're the winner." Yeah, talk about selfish. The OP doesn't seem to be that kind of person, but such a behavior is freaking retarded. It's basically saying "I don't care about whatever happens to the rest, as long as I'm happy it's fine."

Quote:
You can still play the AC tree you like, have fun, and be a help to your team, ya' know.
Unfortunately, as a Sentinel who doesn't use force abilities, "being a help to your team" is very debatable. You suffer from diminished dmg output and most DCDs are a no-go. You basically don't use force Camo, Rebuke, and Guarded by the Force...in other words, you simply melt as soon as you step in.
Vanov - CarnageVanv - VengeanceDarrthvanov - DeceptionVnv - FocusVa'nov - APVnov - Concealment
The Shadowlands - Reading Rainbow - Triumph

Essence_of_Light's Avatar


Essence_of_Light
03.28.2014 , 06:53 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Tevzz View Post
I know, the mentality you explain in the first paragraph is the worst ******** ever. Its similar to crap as "All that matters is to participate." That's a lame excuse for a poor performance and using it is refusing to see that the winners are simply superior to you, it gives you an excuse for not doing better.

And who cares if it's about ranked or unranked PvP. "All long as you're having fun, you're the winner." Yeah, talk about selfish. The OP doesn't seem to be that kind of person, but such a behavior is freaking retarded. It's basically saying "I don't care about whatever happens to the rest, as long as I'm happy it's fine."
/facepalm

You are missing my point. I was addressing the OP by the fact he was feeling forced to play one of the trees in his skill tree and couldn't pick his own, because it wasn't as efficient as the other.

I meant by my post that he should play what skill tree HE enjoys most, despite it being the most efficient or not.

I never said not to help your team.
I never said to play in PvE gear and not PvP gear.
I never said to ignore everyone else.
I never said not to play the objective.
I never said said to lone wolf it.

I was putting my point across that as long as he uses the skill tree he likes, & enjoys it, it is fine. Just because he isn't as elite as others doesn't mean he isn't helping the team at all.

I'm done arguing.
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

Tevzz's Avatar


Tevzz
03.28.2014 , 07:49 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Essence_of_Light View Post
/facepalm

You are missing my point. I was addressing the OP by the fact he was feeling forced to play one of the trees in his skill tree and couldn't pick his own, because it wasn't as efficient as the other.

I meant by my post that he should play what skill tree HE enjoys most, despite it being the most efficient or not.

I never said not to help your team.
I never said to play in PvE gear and not PvP gear.
I never said to ignore everyone else.
I never said not to play the objective.
I never said said to lone wolf it.

I was putting my point across that as long as he uses the skill tree he likes, & enjoys it, it is fine. Just because he isn't as elite as others doesn't mean he isn't helping the team at all.

I'm done arguing.
Oh don't worry I wasn't pointing this entire thing at you. Just stating in general, that I disagree with some of the attitudes many people are in favor of. I never said anything about what tree to play, since they are all fine especially in PvE and have their own purposes.

But I somewhat critiqued his choice in terms of ability usage, I believe it has nothing to do with being an elite, but rather setting some of your self-interests aside for everybody to benefit from it. I mean, what he is proposing is almost like having a merc say that he won't use Tech abilities or even more extreme, an assassin who doesn't use melee abilities (although madness could technically pull it off, despite yielding some mediocre results).
Vanov - CarnageVanv - VengeanceDarrthvanov - DeceptionVnv - FocusVa'nov - APVnov - Concealment
The Shadowlands - Reading Rainbow - Triumph

Essence_of_Light's Avatar


Essence_of_Light
03.28.2014 , 07:57 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Tevzz View Post
Oh don't worry I wasn't pointing this entire thing at you. Just stating in general, that I disagree with some of the attitudes many people are in favor of. I never said anything about what tree to play, since they are all fine especially in PvE and have their own purposes.

But I somewhat critiqued his choice in terms of ability usage, I believe it has nothing to do with being an elite, but rather setting some of your self-interests aside for everybody to benefit from it. I mean, what he is proposing is almost like having a merc say that he won't use Tech abilities or even more extreme, an assassin who doesn't use melee abilities (although madness could technically pull it off, despite yielding some mediocre results).
Ahh, now I understand what you're saying better. I was a little confused at first.
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

georgemattson's Avatar


georgemattson
03.28.2014 , 08:32 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Essence_of_Light View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by tlbww View Post
Kinda of reminds me of playing FFXI. You really weren't allowed to play what you want. The community told you how to play. I barely made any individual decision else risked playing solo in an mmo that forced you to group.

I think I'll save my RP build for Rp and reserve an option to refrain from using lightsabers. I was really surprised at amount of negative feedback I got even though I was having some mad fun. The pleasure of one at the expense of others I guess. Even still, the community has a right to the law of their land.
Don't listen to them. As long as it is fun for you, you're a winner.

The real losers are the ones who force themselves to play the way others tell them to, and lose the fun factor because of it. Win or lose, who cares. It is the fun that matters. Isn't that the reason people play video games in the first place; to have fun?
You know... normally I would agree with you. Play the way you want; I'm not paying your subscription. However, your response to the OP is remarkably short sighted and selfish when it comes to a multiplayer game where your gameplay (good or bad) impacts the fun that other people are having. If I am so bad at PvE that I keep dying, over and over again, but I'm doing that on my own, it's nobody else's business because I'm only affecting myself. If I want to spend an entire night dying repeatedly, not finishing any quests and gaining no commendations, credits, or XP, who cares? I have the right to do so. But when I queue with a group of people (in any context, PvE or PvP), they have a right to expect that I am going to try and do my best, as they are more than likely attempting to win the match, finish the raid, or whatever, and expect that everyone else in the group is trying to do the same. If I'm brand new, but trying to get better, so be it. But if I'm purposely handicapping myself without my group's knowledge and consent, that's very rude, selfish, and inconsiderate. That has nothing to do with the "law of their land," either. That's just simple common courtesy.
Cancelled subscription again. Heading back to Star Wars Galaxies on Bloodfin. Send me an email if you're interested in learning about it (or Google Bloodfin).

Essence_of_Light's Avatar


Essence_of_Light
03.28.2014 , 08:38 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by georgemattson View Post
You know... normally I would agree with you. Play the way you want; I'm not paying your subscription. However, your response to the OP is remarkably short sighted and selfish when it comes to a multiplayer game where your gameplay (good or bad) impacts the fun that other people are having. If I am so bad at PvE that I keep dying, over and over again, but I'm doing that on my own, it's nobody else's business because I'm only affecting myself. If I want to spend an entire night dying repeatedly, not finishing any quests and gaining no commendations, credits, or XP, who cares? I have the right to do so. But when I queue with a group of people (in any context, PvE or PvP), they have a right to expect that I am going to try and do my best, as they are more than likely attempting to win the match, finish the raid, or whatever, and expect that everyone else in the group is trying to do the same. If I'm brand new, but trying to get better, so be it. But if I'm purposely handicapping myself without my group's knowledge and consent, that's very rude, selfish, and inconsiderate. That has nothing to do with the "law of their land," either. That's just simple common courtesy.
Oh lordy lord. Did you even READ my other comments in this thread before posting this? I go into detail what I was addressing.

Please people; read the whole thread before you post. Chances are your queries and concerns might be answered later on.
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

georgemattson's Avatar


georgemattson
03.28.2014 , 08:53 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Essence_of_Light View Post
I was putting my point across that as long as he uses the skill tree he likes, & enjoys it, it is fine. Just because he isn't as elite as others doesn't mean he isn't helping the team at all.
Okay... thinking I should have read this comment before responding to you. I think we're all on the same page.

Quote: Originally Posted by GrandLordMenace View Post
The thing is in an MMO, you aren't the only person playing the game, and much of what people mistake as elitism is just people trying to get you to open your eyes to the "more efficient" way to play, as because the rewards and progression in the game is often dependent on your fellow players, someone who is purposefully "shooting himself in the foot" is sometimes seen as not desirable.
Exactly ^^

Just for myself, I'm starting to lose interest in the game as a whole and especially in PvP because of the laissez faire attitude towards PvP that seems remarkably common in PvP on the Republic side on Pot5. I know that I'm not that good, but when I play I am almost always a very team oriented player who not only spent a lot of time and effort reading the guides, scouring the forums, and gearing up as effectively as I can, but I also routinely sacrifice individual goals for the good of the team. Yet for me, winning is my main focus not because I so thoroughly enjoy winning but rather because I don't want to be a drag on others. I don't want to be "that guy" who screwed up the match for everyone else because I peeled away from an objective and deathmatched someone while the enemy capped the node I was guarding.

The problem is that on a fairly consistent basis, the match is a loss for us anyway simply because of *****hats who decide to just do whatever they feel like. Three groups heading to three nodes on ACW, people ignoring the doors on Voidstar, the pair of non-stealth players who repeatedly try to cap the enemy node from the start of AHG, etc. And of course, there's the guys at 55 with 60+ valor, but 500 expertise, or the guys who leave after the first enemy Huttball goal, and so on.

Yes, PvP is hard, but not for the reasons the OP listed. Rather, PvP is hard because it requires a level of selflessness, cooperation, and awareness of the importance of goal oriented teamwork over immediate individual reward that often is sadly lacking in the community.

Is PvP fun for me? When my team cooperates, communicates, and plays well together, yes it is, absolutely. When we bicker, argue, and go our separate ways, no. Funny thing; the victories tend to come with the former behavior, while the latter almost always guarantees defeat.
Cancelled subscription again. Heading back to Star Wars Galaxies on Bloodfin. Send me an email if you're interested in learning about it (or Google Bloodfin).

Cavell's Avatar


Cavell
03.28.2014 , 11:25 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Essence_of_Light View Post
Oh lordy lord. Did you even READ my other comments in this thread before posting this? I go into detail what I was addressing.

Please people; read the whole thread before you post. Chances are your queries and concerns might be answered later on.
This is kind of ironic, because I was about to suggest you do the same. The OP has stated he does not wish to use Force powers on his Sentinel, not that he simply wants to play one tree over another. Nobody cares what spec he wants to run, it's the, "I don't want to use Rebuke/Force Choke/etc." stuff.