Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Player Species?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

jankiel
03.27.2014 , 04:25 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Obvious View Post
How is any of that different from playing as a Cathar on Ord Mantell and asking what a Cathar is? In the first 10 minutes of the game mind you. Or playing as a Chiss Smuggler and asking what a Chiss is? Or being a Cathar on Taris where numerous quests revolve around Cathar and it's never acknowledged?

Heck how is different than the hundreds of other times when your race should be recognized and isn't?

The honest answer is that it doesn't really matter since the races have been purely cosmetic from launch aside from maybe a dozen specific instances in the game. Note a dozen in how many lines of dialogue the game has?

Once you were able to use any race for any class/faction lore breaking reasons went the window when it comes to playable species.
The difference is that such race-class combos can be justified with proper RP - it's not against the lore of that time. Having an adult Voss who is a Sith is impossible to justify. His planet was unknown to the galaxy how the hell did he end up on Korriban?

If Bioware wants co completely throw out their own lore then ok. Sure make Voss a playable race. I for one will not buy them.

yoomazir
03.27.2014 , 05:35 PM | #62
I would love to see BW having the stones to give us a playable specie that would look a little less "humanoid", like the Ithorians or Duros.

Darth-Obvious
03.27.2014 , 05:39 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by jankiel View Post
The difference is that such race-class combos can be justified with proper RP - it's not against the lore of that time. Having an adult Voss who is a Sith is impossible to justify. His planet was unknown to the galaxy how the hell did he end up on Korriban?
People said the exact same thing about Treek (an Ewok) being in the game as well.

Darth-Obvious
03.27.2014 , 05:46 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by yoomazir View Post
I would love to see BW having the stones to give us a playable specie that would look a little less "humanoid", like the Ithorians or Duros.
The Duros could work, but only because they are humanoid. What about Duros would conflict with the current game design?

The Ithorains on the other hand won't happen, and it's not about stones.

The problem with adding anything that isn't already like the existing races is that the entire game, cutscenes, animations, mounts, etc, was built around the current body types so unless a race can use those body types don't expect to ever see them playable.

They basically shot themselves in the foot with races by developing so much of the game before finalizing the playable species. I honestly think that they thought TOR would make so much money that they'd eventually be able to go back and correct this stuff but that obviously wasn't the case.

Essence_of_Light
03.27.2014 , 05:47 PM | #65
People said the exact same thing about Treek (an Ewok) being in the game as well.
The difference between Treek (companion) and Voss (as a playable species) is their is only 1 Treek, and there are multiple classes. There isn't an Ewok Bob, Joe, Bill, or Tommy; there is only Treek. It is entirely plausible that one Ewok (out of who knows how many live on the moon of Endor) made its way into the Galaxy at large. If the Voss make it as a playable species it means all and any of the classes can/are Voss.

And, as stated before, the Voss have their own seperate body-type (which players do not have access to). It has the build of the body-type 2 but taller. That in itself is enough to keep Bioware from adding Voss as a playable species.

Now, a Voss as a companion? That is a different story, and is totally plausible.
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for free
goodies like Cartel Market unlocks
!

Darth-Obvious
03.27.2014 , 06:23 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Essence_of_Light View Post
The difference between Treek (companion) and Voss (as a playable species) is their is only 1 Treek, and there are multiple classes. There isn't an Ewok Bob, Joe, Bill, or Tommy; there is only Treek. It is entirely plausible that one Ewok (out of who knows how many live on the moon of Endor) made its way into the Galaxy at large. If the Voss make it as a playable species it means all and any of the classes can/are Voss.
That still doesn't explain away all the issues with the Cathar not being recognized when they should be, or NPCs telling you what a Cathar is when you're playing as one.

Quote:
And, as stated before, the Voss have their own seperate body-type (which players do not have access to). It has the build of the body-type 2 but taller. That in itself is enough to keep Bioware from adding Voss as a playable species.
No. The Voss use Body Type 2 at different dimensions. The mesh and skeleton are still exactly the same.

By your logic the Sith Purebloods wouldn't be a playable species simply because of Lord Scourge

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92470394@N06/13455028334/

^Lord Scourge standing next to Body Type 3 Jedi Knight. Now is Lord Scourge not using Body Type 3? No, he is using it only the dimensions of his model are bigger so that he's more imposing.

This sort of thing exists all over the game.

Quote:
Now, a Voss as a companion? That is a different story, and is totally plausible.
I don't think we'll see a companion that has the potential for romance. They'll no doubt always try and avoid it by giving us like a droid or pet type creature.

Duvack
03.27.2014 , 11:00 PM | #67
While it would be great to see a lot of these species mentioned, BW has repeatedly stated that unless a species speaks basic, they will not put them in game as player characters. Their reasoning on this is that people don't want to have to read everything that is being said. And I'm all for the Togruta. They would be my next choice in player species. I guess time will tell. and yes they really need to address some of the clipping on just "regular" species first.
The Shadowlands: The Faradhi Legacy
Vashanna - Level 65 Guardian / Colete - Level 65 Sorcerer / Merane - level 60 Vanguard / Alyssandria - Level 60 Operative / Saschenka - level 60 Gunslinger / Anjolle - level 60 Sentinel / K'Voral - level 65 Power Tech / Frederique - Level 60 Combat Medic

Styxx
03.28.2014 , 12:09 AM | #68
That's seems overly complicated. Actually I just think you described exactly why they wouldn't want to do it, ie "oh well they could just do this, this and/or this." It's easy to say, much harder to do. You also gotta remember that most people aren't going to want to compromise, they want what they know, so they're not going to get away with doing the leku hanging over the shoulders.
If I managed to find at least 3 solutions for this issue in about 5 minutes, I`m sure people who are PAID to find solutions can find more and better ones. Assuming they want to and not thinking to stamp some Friday afternoon skins on top of a humanoid skeleton and call it A NEW DAWN.

Something tells me that there is no will to give us the race we actually want, but what is easiest for them, which is a damn shame, as Cathar proudly stands as an example.

A shame, really, as I was waiting since 2008 to play a Togruta sage.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello View Post
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

Manweth
03.28.2014 , 03:07 AM | #69
Zeltron.
Manw, Former Vigilance Player and Guardian Advocate.
Former Raider. Eternal Revan Fanboy.
Nothing else matters at this point.

ZahirS
03.28.2014 , 03:51 AM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by yoomazir View Post
this +1000