Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which missiles (besides rocket pods) require no lock-on time?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Which missiles (besides rocket pods) require no lock-on time?

bmharrison
03.25.2014 , 10:44 PM | #1
I'm asking because I've had a couple of matches recently where I instantly get the "missile fired" tone and big red triangle without hearing any warning tone. It's only happened in a couple of matches, but when it does happen, it happens A LOT.

I don't believe it's rocket pods because a) if I don't use an evasion ability it will hit me even if I turn/flip/whatever; b) I didn't think that rocket pods even get the locked-on triangle/tone b/c they can't lock on; c) they seem to do way more damage than is possible for a rocket pod; and d) whenever this happens I think (but I could be wrong) there aren't any scouts close enough to fire one off.

Mostly this seems to happen when I'm in the midst of enemy bombers- is there a mine or drone that locks on instantly? If so, it seems a bit OP for something that doesn't suffer from human error to begin with, but if that's what it is, I'd like to know so I can try to plan accordingly. If it isn't a bomber/drone, please tell me what does this, b/c none of the missiles I have loaded perform like this.

Or, is it a bug? Should I let EA know so they can look into it and fix it around patch 12.7 or so? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ryuku-sama
03.25.2014 , 10:45 PM | #2
Latency + Cluster

FridgeLM
03.25.2014 , 10:48 PM | #3
Seeker mines don't have a lockon time, and I suspect missile sentry drones don't either.

This is balanced by them doing very little damage with each strike.
<Death and Taxes>

bmharrison
03.25.2014 , 10:57 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by FridgeLM View Post
Seeker mines don't have a lockon time, and I suspect missile sentry drones don't either.

I'm pretty sure missile sentry drones do in fact have a lock-on time, because I've witnessed them firing at me after a warning tone. Seeker mines I didn't know about. That's probably it. It seems like they're doing a lot more damage than you've indicated; however it could be that I'm getting hit by multiple mines/lasers/whatever simultaneously and not realizing it. I often seem to attract the attention of 3 or 4 opponents at once; I'm not sure why this is, because I'm not even close to being an Ace and very rarely make it to the top of the kills scoreboard. Guess I must have "please kill me now!" painted on all of my ships. Oh, well. Thanks for the replies.

Armonddd
03.25.2014 , 11:21 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by bmharrison View Post
I'm pretty sure missile sentry drones do in fact have a lock-on time, because I've witnessed them firing at me after a warning tone.
Someone else was locking on to you when you got in range of a missile sentry drone (or when its firing cooldown expired). Neither missile sentries nor seeker mines have lock-on times.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Sidenti
03.26.2014 , 05:50 AM | #6
Could also mean you're popular. Lord knows I hear that tone a million times a match, what with the five on my tail trying to all lock at once. XD -bp

Zoom_VI
03.26.2014 , 06:16 AM | #7
missile sentry drones do have a lockon time, but its not one that the player is aware of.
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Itkovian
03.26.2014 , 06:40 AM | #8
I think missile sentry drones and seeker mines DO prompt the missile lock warning, just not the lock-on timer.

Basically the moment you get close enough you get the warning alarm that a missile (or mine) is incoming, and your only chance of avoiding it is a lock breaker ability.

OscarDivine
03.26.2014 , 06:50 AM | #9
You're definitely encountering Seeker Mines and Missile Drones.

The Missile Drones do have a lock on time but you might as well already have the missile after you.

Zharik
03.27.2014 , 07:28 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by FridgeLM View Post

Correct on both accounts but I think that 840 damage from a seeker mine is hardly a pittance...
<Alt-a-holic's Anonymous>
President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Members (x18).

My Referral Link for some Free things (for you and me)