Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

To GS or not to GS, that is the question (Alt. Title: What's in YOUR hangar?)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
To GS or not to GS, that is the question (Alt. Title: What's in YOUR hangar?)

Pilgrim_Grey
03.24.2014 , 08:21 PM | #21
#1 rule of MMOs is play what you want to play. If you forever pursue the FOTM, you'll be forever unhappy. While I care what they do to Strikes and Scoundrels, I still love playing them enough that I'm not going to stop playing them, either.

Other gunships are more affected by your team keeping them busy, no matter what ships your team is using.
Ithyrn (Guardian), Malachais (Gunslinger), Ez'kiel (Commando)
Ithryn (Operative), Ithric (Juggernaut)
Shadowlands Server

Fractalsponge
03.25.2014 , 09:49 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Pilgrim_Grey View Post
#1 rule of MMOs is play what you want to play. If you forever pursue the FOTM, you'll be forever unhappy. While I care what they do to Strikes and Scoundrels, I still love playing them enough that I'm not going to stop playing them, either.

Other gunships are more affected by your team keeping them busy, no matter what ships your team is using.
This. Learn to be useful in the class you like to play best. Every class has a role and can be deadly, though some are clearly specialized for certain things. Just know where and how you can best use your ship. You happen to like the other class highly favored by the meta right now (who am I kidding - since launch) - the flashfire/sting. So rejoice Those can be built to be highly effective in all situations, except against multiple minelayers under the node in domination.

If by some chance you are in a group that doesn't have anything other than the standard 2 ships on their bars, then chances are, you're outmatched as a team. Flying a ship that you're not good at or don't like to play is not going to change that fact. Take your best ship, and work on something for that match, whether it's survival skills, damage, holding one objective at least, being a giant pain in the a** or whatever. I run Imperial exclusively on Shadowlands, and I had a LOT of experience with matches like that in the first month.

Gunships can bring a lot of utility to the table, but gunship heavy compositions can be really bad for the team, especially in domination. It could be bad if you don't have ANY gunships on the team (or no good ones), but you can say that about any unbalanced team setup, except maybe flashfire/sting spam in TDM.

The best example I have was one game pre-2.6 on shipyards. Imperial team was me, Heisenburg, Kinglsaya (Kantner's imp alt), and Arc-a. If you've been around a while, you know that is a Bad Thing to see on the other side. Well, we lost. Got three capped in fact. Why? We all ran gunships, and couldn't force the pub side off the nodes. One of us would kill the defenders and cap, but couldn't hold against the flashfires that pushed us off again. Maybe it would have been different if we had been on VOIP, so we knew to swap ships mid fight. But still, it's a great example of how multiple gunships are not a guarantee of anything. In fact, when it was all domination, I would specifically swap to Sting when I saw the imperial side stacking gunships, because that was the best way to actually win at the node.

In the current meta, pub side likes to run teams heavily stacked in one class, be it gunships or bombers. If you see that happening, you'll have to adjust your play or your default build a bit. Quads instead of burst is pretty nice in the current meta, with the range you'll need against bombers but still with enough punch against gunships.
http://fractalsponge.net
Xi'ao - The Shadowlands

Pilgrim_Grey
03.25.2014 , 07:44 PM | #23
Hey, quoted by my least favorite imperial to fly against. Damn you and your ion drain.

But I agree--you want to change up your ship for what your team needs. I generally prefer to go Strike or Scout, but there are times when I go gunship just because my team looks overly balanced to those two. Although I just can't make myself go Bomber... playstyle just does not appeal to me. I hope the next class floats my boat more.
Ithyrn (Guardian), Malachais (Gunslinger), Ez'kiel (Commando)
Ithryn (Operative), Ithric (Juggernaut)
Shadowlands Server

Verain
03.25.2014 , 08:11 PM | #24
I've said before that scouts are like barbarians, strikes are like fighters, gunships are wizards, and bombers are clerics.

The net effect: most parties are heavily in favor of barbarians and fighters. They need some heals, tanks, ranged dps, and ranged controls.

If you do find yourself in a party with plenty of gunships and bombers, a strike or scout is very nice. But most groups are filled in with strikes and scouts, enhancing the desirability of the almost absent gunships and bombers.

Zoom_VI
03.26.2014 , 08:21 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
I've said before that scouts are like barbarians
For some reason I find this hilarious. Probably because it took me forever to realize you where using names of classes from another game. I took barbarians at face value.
Crinn
Trooper Hunter

Vanguard | Commando | Powertech | Mercenary
Quote: Originally Posted by Aves
Everything is fine, calm your Crinns

mandoforlife
03.26.2014 , 08:28 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
For some reason I find this hilarious. Probably because it took me forever to realize you where using names of classes from another game. I took barbarians at face value.
Hah, I did as well.

That looks very nice sittin' there all smug at the bottom of your sig
Vamark Skirata 55 Mercenary <Meet Killface>
Sirsuitntie Sorcerer - Jatne Operative - Zaavar Assassin - Alsaire Marauder
The Bastion

Markviper
03.27.2014 , 04:48 AM | #27
Playing what you enjoy only gets you so far though. When the current game meta is large gunship sniperfests and you enjoy playing a dogfighting class, you are not going to have fun when you are one of only 2 or 3 players on your team that is trying to dogfight against a team of 4+ gunships sitting in a field of bomber mines. So your options become either play a class you don't enjoy, or play a class you do enjoy but but have an absolutely horrible time in it. When it gets to the point that the only way you can contribute is by getting every available powerup and hoping you can do something before you get popped by an ocean of gunships as you try to get in range... little enjoyment in that.

TheRampage
03.27.2014 , 05:34 AM | #28
I think you should have all ship types available for each match. You never know how it will go.

Example - yesterday I got TDM. Wanted to play striker, first type. First 5 min we were 15:2/3 score, I had 10 kills.

All of sudden 3/4 GS showed. On my side 0. Not to mention I was teamed with lot of new players with few ships available only.

Do you want to guess how match ended?
Raph‚el - Vanguard
Nasargiel - Commando
Cŗstiel - Mercenary