Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cross Server GSF?

SammyGStatus
03.26.2014 , 10:44 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Shoraan View Post
"It's absolutely doable" is a bold statement, unless you know the details of their hardware and software infrastructure. Another example from RL would be building a house. You build a foundation to support a 5-level house. If you suddenly decide to put another 5 levels on top you may get problems. If the foundation isn't build for that kind of expansion it won't be possible without changing the foundation. And I simply don't know if the foundation of this game (not the engine, rather the infrastructure, which is more basic) can support cross-server queues.

Changing something about the game (software) is relatively easy. They can add features, remove them, go back to an older version if problems come up during testing. But changing hardware, network infrastructure and database designs are a totally different story.

I am not saying they can't do it. The fact that they made GSF still amazes me. But I wouldn't dare say, "they definitely can do it, they are just too lazy". I simply don't know if it's possible or not. But I can think of several reasons why it wouldn't be possible.

Of course, given enough time and resources, they could do all kinds of things (well, getting rid of lag is not possible due to physics), but that would perhaps be better spent on other items on the players' wishlist.
I do relational database building, and have to say that as long as you do the schema on either a board or a piece of paper (to be able to visualize such an abstract concept) and implement testing in a sandbox / isolated environment, the changes could be implemented in a patch update (assuming that the construction of such a database is conceived and created with relative ease, which nothing ever is in the IT world).
Renegade-One / Leggogurl / Aimbot / Even'ess / Status

Hyllstarter
03.26.2014 , 10:20 PM | #12
I live on the west coast. daily on east coast servers. I also have played on the european servers and have never had a lag issue.
Hyllstarter, Soontobedeleted, Ispep.

Verain
03.26.2014 , 11:45 PM | #13
It can't be done with their existing tech, or I'm sure they would. It would clearly be the best thing possible for this game.

zvbm
07.27.2014 , 09:00 AM | #14
The more dev hours they spend on housing and random cosmetic re-skins of existing gear the more annoyed I get.

It can't be THAT hard to implement cross server queues. Heck, I'd code it for them if I could it's probably the best thing that could happen to this game.

~zvbm

Magira
07.27.2014 , 10:04 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Hyllstarter View Post
I live on the west coast. daily on east coast servers. I also have played on the european servers and have never had a lag issue.
Yes, I can confirm. I play from Munich on Bastion and Red Eclipse. No problems.
Einistra - Assasin/Pilot Guild : PUG / Ynaxi - Shadow/Pilot Server: Red Eclipse
Ainola - Powertech/Pilot Server: The Bastion
Lilora - Sage/Pilot Server: The Ebon Hawk
Pomsta - Assasin/Pilot Server: T3-M4

SammyGStatus
07.28.2014 , 01:40 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Magira View Post
Yes, I can confirm. I play from Munich on Bastion and Red Eclipse. No problems.
I play with a 22 ms lag on east coast. On west, it becomes 100ms. This is on a 101Mbps connection. There is a difference between servers, however it's to the extent of a 10th of a second. This would not be detrimental, however I'd still prefer a .02ms Make it so!
Renegade-One / Leggogurl / Aimbot / Even'ess / Status

Nemarus
07.28.2014 , 02:11 PM | #17
I live west coast and play on an east coast server. Ping is usually < 100ms. I have no problem melting faces.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Zoom_VI
07.28.2014 , 06:06 PM | #18
It's one thing to beat a dead horse, its another thing to beat it, stab it, shoot it, and then beat it again.
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

_Willock_
07.30.2014 , 10:05 AM | #19
I wonder if something like a "Call of Duty" style client hosted matchmaking would be easier and cheaper to develop so that everyone in the game can play together?
It may not give the best experience ping wise, but it could be adapted to normal pvp too?

Uludelu
08.03.2014 , 02:42 PM | #20
I hope that cross server come soon cause having to wait 20 to 30 minutes to get in a party is *********** boring !