Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pvp is too hard... starfighter piloting is too hard... I'm sticking with pve

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Pvp is too hard... starfighter piloting is too hard... I'm sticking with pve

tlbww
03.24.2014 , 07:00 PM | #11
I'm a Sentinel that doesn't use the force powers. (So far, no Rebuke). I use vibroblades. I figured melee is rough in pvp as I don't have an invis skill yet nor I do have a knock down (or stun that works....). I want to give pvp a try, but it's not exactly easy to run melee dps w/ only 1 immobilizing cure that doesn't work against repeated snaring.

I might check it out at level 30. I did far better in SW battlefront in vehicular combat.

/goesandplaysbattlefront.

BennyKrak
03.24.2014 , 07:28 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by tlbww View Post
I'm a Sentinel that doesn't use the force powers. (So far, no Rebuke). I use vibroblades. I figured melee is rough in pvp as I don't have an invis skill yet nor I do have a knock down (or stun that works....). I want to give pvp a try, but it's not exactly easy to run melee dps w/ only 1 immobilizing cure that doesn't work against repeated snaring.

I might check it out at level 30. I did far better in SW battlefront in vehicular combat.

If it is your first time PvPing in this game, Sentinel is probably one of the worst classes to play, especially in lowbie PvP brackets. It takes a while to master the class, and it is also one of the ones that doesn't come to fruition until a little later, specifically because of defensive cooldowns and survivability.

That having been said, if you learn to play the class whilst you're levelling, you will tear people apart if you start to play in PvP around level 40 as a Sentinel, especially if you run Combat skill tree. The burst in that spec is amazing

Focus spec can also be effective at lower levels, since it has good AoE damage. But it is being nerfed in the 2.7 patch, so it's better to learn Combat, in my opinion.
Krackers || Kozlovsky
The Krackers Legacy
Your Companion

Xakthul
03.25.2014 , 05:42 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by BennyKrak View Post
Focus spec can also be effective at lower levels, since it has good AoE damage. But it is being nerfed in the 2.7 patch, so it's better to learn Combat, in my opinion.
I know Focus = Rage, but Combat = ?

Sorry for the stupid question, but I only know the Imp names for the skill trees
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf

toha
03.25.2014 , 06:29 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Xakthul View Post
I know Focus = Rage, but Combat = ?

Sorry for the stupid question, but I only know the Imp names for the skill trees
Carnage
Quote: Originally Posted by Essence_of_Light View Post
Nobody wants your scams.

And if you spent your time doing this, then you are a fool. Shoo, shoo. Get lost.

Katsuragisama
03.26.2014 , 10:54 AM | #15

SW:TOR was actually the first game I PvPed in. Came to the game like a week after launch thinking I would only PvE, tried PvP, ended up barely leaving Warzones to do my story.

There are plenty of YouTube resources out there to learn more about your class. Builds, gearing for end game, min/maxing if you want to, etc. Try it again when you feel like, but once you master your class start learning how every other class works, certain skills, rotations, etc. Once you learn what your doing, learn to predict your opponent and you'll win. Unless its Huttball. Then you're probably gonna need a team that knows Huttball is not deathmatch in the pit. >.>
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello, Electronic Arts Inc. - CEO
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time... We're not gouging, but we're charging.

Kerensk
03.26.2014 , 01:55 PM | #16
I think the best lesson I learned for PvP (on the ground and in space) is not to charge in recklessly.

It looks cool in the commercials and movies where 2 sides run screaming into eachother till they meet in a massive collision; but as a strategy frontal charges became obsolete in the 19th century.

Especially if you're a noob hang back and be a wingman or battle buddy to somebody else. Be sure to use the environment to limit one person attacking you at a time. Stay near your team so even if you're massacred they can attack the people attacking you.

In PvP the person who leads the attack from the front will be the first to die. Good players can do it but noobs will be cannon fodder if they try it. Stay back with the team and attack their targets.
The Harbinger, Piett Legacy
It's an older quote but it checks out. I was about to clear it.

tlbww
03.27.2014 , 12:39 PM | #17
I've scrubbed around with my class. I've chosen Watchman as my focus (not much choice give my disuse of force powers).

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIrRMRrfsrzZhG.3

Nothing special about it. I won't be using Rebuke and Force Sweep. There are other powers that I'm not allowing myself to use. I think it will be fun trying to play around it.

I actually felt that I got off on the wrong foot with the pvp modes. I didn't prepare myself for pvp in Swtor. I want to give both another try (later). I'll probably be using a gamepad for both mods as I have an easier time piloting a vehicle with a gamepad and controllers are more responsive for me when I don't want to worry about aiming, but do have to concern myself with moving around using skills.

But it's not something I'm going to concern myself with atm. The story is good so far and I have more powers to get before I make an appearance. Besides, I have a Gunslinger and a Sorcerer that I'm curious about playing.

GrandLordMenace
03.27.2014 , 12:49 PM | #18
I've scrubbed around with my class. I've chosen Watchman as my focus (not much choice give my disuse of force powers).

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIrRMRrfsrzZhG.3

Nothing special about it. I won't be using Rebuke and Force Sweep. There are other powers that I'm not allowing myself to use. I think it will be fun trying to play around it.

I actually felt that I got off on the wrong foot with the pvp modes. I didn't prepare myself for pvp in Swtor. I want to give both another try (later). I'll probably be using a gamepad for both mods as I have an easier time piloting a vehicle with a gamepad and controllers are more responsive for me when I don't want to worry about aiming, but do have to concern myself with moving around using skills.

But it's not something I'm going to concern myself with atm. The story is good so far and I have more powers to get before I make an appearance. Besides, I have a Gunslinger and a Sorcerer that I'm curious about playing.
This is in no means attempting to be blunt, but limiting yourself like that isn't that great of an idea in PVP, as it limits the effectiveness of you in the group, Rebuke is a central CD to a Jedi Sentinel, NOT using it is just... not good. Force Sweep is also a central AOE, you absolutely need to use it in AOE situations.

It's fine if you love to RP (I love to RP too!) but keep it a tad separated from your PVP and you will do a lot better.
Rydarus Veneris the Revanchist, Beater #fedaracarrychist
Vigilance Guardian guide on Dulfy! Like my guide? Support my Referral Link!
Last Guardian DPS because dead game

tlbww
03.27.2014 , 12:58 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by GrandLordMenace View Post
It's fine if you love to RP (I love to RP too!) but keep it a tad separated from your PVP and you will do a lot better.
It's not about doing better, it's about playing my way and having fun. I understand the group aspect as well. Maybe I'll stick to starfighter pvp or not pvp with this toon if the community is of the same thought.

OrionLives
03.27.2014 , 12:58 PM | #20
Don't give up. Everything is a team effort. I personally enjoy the lore slightly more but there are times when I like pvp. I have some great experiences with it.
Ok I understand the Galactic Starfighter thing. I was awful at it at first. the only reason I am even close to "good" now is because of practice. Start off just flying around things. Screw the battle get the flying down first. Then start shooting people. Soon you'll be locking onto people in no time!

As far as ground combat goes. It is definetly a proffession. No question about it. You need a team effort for warzones. Now try getting to higher levels and maybe sit back and just assist the majority until you get better geared for pvp. That's what I did and I don pretty well.

It takes time. May the Force be with you!
Robbby
Begeren Colony /// The Harbinger
Snw - Marauder - The Krayt Supremacy
"Ya'll Motha F*ckas Need Kephess!"