Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Frequently Asked PvP Questions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Frequently Asked PvP Questions
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Elfa
03.20.2014 , 08:49 PM | #271
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
You weren't around during 1.2 were you? It took this game almost a year to recover from that pvp blunder and was pretty much one of the main reasons why it went F2P.
Been here since launch actually, love the game.

That being said, all the other quotes either echoed your doom's day or talked about ranked not popping. Can't help you there TBH. Ranked doesn't pop because either nobody wants to queue for ranked or they don't want to form groups for ranked. That's more of an issue with the PVP community here in SWTOR than Bioware's fault. Nobody wants to get rolled in PVP and unless your one of the best and you're in a group, you just end up slaughtered.

There are two types of PVP players in SWTOR, the good, dedicated ones that make up 5% of the total and the other 95% who are only interested in easy fights because their egos can't handle losing. Now while I'm sure all of you here are in the 5%, that's also the group that likes to compete in ranked.

Personally, I can tell you how to fix ranked queues and increase queues in PVP right now. Remove Expertise. Let skill alone decide. I know a lot of PVE players who would love to queue for ranked but they either don't want to get manhandled by an Expertise maxed monster or they don't want to be ridiculed or abandoned for having PVE gear on.

I'm so confident that removing Expertise would fix so many PVP issues, I'd stake my life on it if possible and I know that the real PVP'rs wouldn't mind if they did, because they don't need a special stat advantage to win, only a competitor.
I'd like to sit down with the guy responsible for having Busta Rhymes fight Michael Myers in HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION. Then, before he could speak, I would slap him so hard his face would explode and his dog would die." - Jim Law

Damsyl
03.20.2014 , 08:54 PM | #272
This is extremely disappointing and I'm going to tell you why Bioware. Every question here can be solved with ONE solution, three words....

CROSS-SERVER-QUES.

EVERYTHING would be fixed, you would have more ranked games popping, 8v8s wouldn't have died out and 4v4 group ranked wouldn't be dying. You would have more people quing up for the PvE aspects of the game and so forth. You obviously do not care about your PvP community whatsoever. You care more about the cartel market making you money. Sure, housing is cool and all but that's not why people play this game. They play this game to see content, content that you either nerf to oblivion or take away.

What incentive do players have who actually try to get a high rating for being good, only to be told that they aren't going to get meaningful awards because those who can't do it will cry on the forums? 5%? Are you kidding me Bioware? There are WAY more than 5% who have achieved to getting 1500 rating. World of Warcraft gives the top .5% a special mount that you can only get for being good. Why is it such an issue to give players who care enough to get their rating high something that only they can get?

It's sad to see that every single question was a nice way of saying no. You string your players along with this tiny little glimmer of hope and in the end you keep crushing them over and over by saying "working as intended" or "we currently don't have that in our roadmap". Other games wont kill this game, you will by your continuously bad decisions and poor management for your game.

I guess I was wrong to expect more from a company who justifies sorcerers and sages being squishy and damn near defenseless by saying "heal to full, and make them pay later." Or saying that Powertechs have a "perception problem."

I love Star Wars, I really do. This game was fun for me and I was here when you lied to your players in 1.2 about ranked pvp launching, and I'm still here when you keep stringing us along. When is it going to stop? When are you going to get your heads out of your butts and start programming and fixing the game that you keep taking aspects away from? If you start actually listening to your community and players, maybe...Just maybe you'll finally be able to fix something and save this game.

Dark days aren't ahead for PvP, they are already here and they have been here since ranked was even talked about a year and a half ago.
Damsyl N'distress
55 Operative (Medicine) | The Bastion
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao View Post
Bioware, what can we expect as far as PvP for the future of SWTOR?
No

Turretboy
03.20.2014 , 09:01 PM | #273
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
This.

Bioware has shown a clear disdain for hardcore anything.
Hardcore cartel market really.

cycao
03.20.2014 , 09:03 PM | #274
Quote: Originally Posted by Elfa View Post
Personally, I can tell you how to fix ranked queues and increase queues in PVP right now. Remove Expertise. Let skill alone decide. I know a lot of PVE players who would love to queue for ranked but they either don't want to get manhandled by an Expertise maxed monster or they don't want to be ridiculed or abandoned for having PVE gear on.

I'm so confident that removing Expertise would fix so many PVP issues, I'd stake my life on it if possible and I know that the real PVP'rs wouldn't mind if they did, because they don't need a special stat advantage to win, only a competitor.
Fixing ranked would require the removal of bolster, removing conversions from regular to ranked comms, remove ranked comms earned through the weekly and daily, and remove the ranked comms earned through the solo queue.

foxmob
03.20.2014 , 09:10 PM | #275
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
No one cares about regs dammit. The population concern is about ranked.

Also as someone that used to be on JC and left for POT5...JC has fast reg pops but that server has some of the worst pvpers I have ever seen and it only got worse when all the good players bailed for POT5. I decided to leave when I was spending 30 minutes waiting for a ranked pop..
it was horrible for about 1-2 months after transfers. it's fine now. not like pot5...but still fine. I'd say a third of those who transferred have mysteriously reappeared. I'd venture that at least a third, probably more, left the game entirely after the disintegration of 8v8. what were they thinking? even bad guys adhere to the NO DISINTEGRATIONS protocol.
A legacy of meh
Krackerjšck/Krackerjak (VG/PT) | Krackerjack/Deinon (Mando/Merc) | Dežnon (Jugg) | other stuffs
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.

Telaan
03.20.2014 , 09:13 PM | #276
Quote: Originally Posted by Anarchists View Post
I am disappointed in the PvP community more than anything!! What a bunch of whiners! Want PvP to improve? Its time for some psyops missions. We need YOU, the PvP player base to mobilize and start encouraging people to do some PVP!

The Dev's are definitely to blame for the bugs! No argument here. Season 1 had so many bugs I honestly didnt even feel like playing. And I really didnt even play much.

This game seems to have a thriving PvE base. Why is that? PvP takes more skill... How many of you PVP'ers are trying to encourage PvE'ers to come do some PvP??? Yep they should go do all the research you have. They should go learn it all on their own but guess what.... THEY DONT! Most people dont even know where to start for PvP information. If you PvP you know guides are pretty scarce so we have to make them! They also need a nudge in the right direction... away from PvE and toward PvP! Be a PvP coach! Offer yourself up and help out these noobs! At least tell them some good links or web pages they can learn some stuff from. Make some instructional videos and post them on the forums to help new players transform from noobs to pros!

Most people get stomped in PvP because of lack of knowledge -- not gear... We still got tons of people thinking they did awesome in PvP with tons of DPS/HPS without getting any kills or keeping anyone alive... I'd like to see a scoreboard that also shows how many CC's, interupts and slows/snares someone executed. Anyone can spam dots/hots/AOE's and not get any kills and have their team die. BUT LOOK AT ALL THAT DPS/HPS on the scoreboard!!!! DPS get on the right targets and kill people, heals heal the right targets and save lives... thats skilled PvP vs mindless spamming dots/hots aoes...

If you want PvP to do well, start doing something to cultivate and encourage more people to come PvP instead of PvE! If you are like me you really like this game, see its potential and want it to succeed. It wont succeed by complaining about how things suck. It will succeed if you start doing things to change it. Be creative! Being a PvPer you are probably competitive and intelligent... Be a coach. Persuade people to PvP! Stop complaining and do something productive! Start a PvP guild or join one and help out noobs!! Encourage more PvP in your PvE guilds! Heck infiltrate PvE guilds and encourage people to PvP! Its the only way to grow the PvP community....

Do you think the Devs are going to get resources to implement much PvP stuff if they dont have a large enough player base to make que's pop??? Nope. They are busy catering to the large PvE population paying them while us PvPers that nerd rage (I'm guilty of it) after a match scare people away from PvP. Instead of COMPLAINING start doing more EXPLAINING to noobs. Dont scare them away. Be gentle... more bees with honey than vinegar...

The Dev's are NOT the only thing that has an effect on the PvP community. In fact I'd say the player base has a larger effect. Especially once PvP is bug free then its really on the PvP community... which I'm really hoping season 2 starts with no bugs. If it does have bugs its gonna seriously hurt an already crippled and nearly dead part of the game...

So make a choice: Be constructive and help out. OR Be destructive and complain and not have any fun. The choice is yours.

Peace.
Do you really think the average scrub pug gives a **** what you say in ops? Not only no, but **** no. In fact many will do the opposite out of spite or sheer idiocy.

As far as being constructive:

All those FAQs were constructive ideas generated by the community on ways to improve the pvp game. The answer to everything was no.
Kype Lightwave/Telaan Lightwave -Pot5- "Pistols' RP Apprentice"
Telaan Lightwave Pre-CU Jedi Knight -JKO- Bloodfin
Master LS/Master Defender/Healing 2xxx/Enhancer xxx3

DanNV
03.20.2014 , 09:25 PM | #277
Fixing ranked would require the removal of bolster, removing conversions from regular to ranked comms, remove ranked comms earned through the weekly and daily, and remove the ranked comms earned through the solo queue.
That won't fix ranked it'll finish killing it right along with Regs. People simply don't like ranked. If they did there'd be more people playing. They don't like 4v4 death matches. You're not going to force the majority to do them, but making it so people can't get top end gear in regs but have to fight against it will certainly get them to drop out. Then you won't get a queue to pop, the hard core guys move on to another game and there isn't any PVP here. Is that really what you're aiming for?
REGULATORS

Savej
03.20.2014 , 09:30 PM | #278
I'm a little confused. There weren't any surprises in Eric's FAQ.

Cernow
03.20.2014 , 09:31 PM | #279
Seems they know that pleasing the PvP crowd here will take a lot of manpower and investment, with not much in return other than subscriptions. There aren't really many opportunities to monetize PvP without being accused of Pay 2 Win. It's much easier to monetize PVE fluff like Player Housing. And this game has become all about monetizing. Sure, they might provide some entertainment in the process, but it's not the primary motivation.

The whole "transparency" thing while saying "NO" is really just a polite way of throwing in the towel where PvP is concerned. They know that they can't invest what is needed to provide the features and gaming experience PvP'ers expect. Features many other MMOs already have. So it's a case of 'we hear you, but we can't help you, certainly not now and perhaps not ever'.

Damsyl
03.20.2014 , 09:35 PM | #280
Your sig is the best, and sadly it's so damn true. I'm adding it to mine because **** bioware.
Damsyl N'distress
55 Operative (Medicine) | The Bastion
Bioware, what can we expect as far as PvP for the future of SWTOR?
No