Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why do people join Dark Side?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why do people join Dark Side?

Dharkmoon's Avatar


Dharkmoon
03.15.2014 , 11:46 AM | #391
Sometimes It's a matter of affection for your companions, and someone in in the Empire doesn't want to be seen as soft and mushy. With the dark side you are more respected and feared, and It makes you feel powerful.
- -
The Empire never Dies, It will last eon after eon until we conquer all.

Shadokitty's Avatar


Shadokitty
03.16.2014 , 08:25 PM | #392
I play the dark side because I'm not evil in life, so it's role play. A chance to be someone I'm not.

eldefail's Avatar


eldefail
03.17.2014 , 02:28 AM | #393
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
But the dark side is not more powerful so it is kinda pointless...
To the logical, rational mind perhaps. To the seeker of instant gratification the Dark Side makes perfect sense.

Gameplay wise, I like to RP my characters to a very minor degree, in that I make my choices based on what THEY would do in that situation. It makes the story more engaging and compelling.

Objectively I view light side and dark side as two extremes of the same spectrum. Those on either extreme seem foolish and short-sighted to me. To over-simplify, the "dark side" seems to be a more impulsive, self-serving, thoughtless approach to the Force. Some dark side choices--like one on Coruscant involving a senator and some stolen data--feel like they should be light side since they serve a greater good, but in reality only serve the whims of the character, some chick you just met, and a knee-jerk "I disagree with you so I'll undermine every core value upon which the Republic stands to stop you" reaction.

Light side and Dark side are more than just meditation or kicking puppies. It's whether you prioritize the greater good for all or the greater good for yourself. It's a matter of how much control you have over your impulses, how much forethought you possess, and how well you empathize with and care about the LONG TERM welfare of those around you. Followers of the dark side boast that they are strong, that they are free. In reality, they are slaves to their emotions. The Light side boasts of clarity and reason. In reality they are crippled by their irrational fear of emotion.

People in the Star Wars universe subscribe to either belief (or some combination thereof) because they are just that--people. Individuals whose core values and perception of the world around them drive them to either the Light side or the Dark side--a path of methodical restraint and rationality or a path of reckless abandon and instant gratification.

Personally, I view the Force as something benign, a tool, requiring certainly a high degree of self control and restraint lest one go over the deep end, but light side and dark side should be viewed as fringe extremists, both missing half of the bigger picture.

aTrueFool's Avatar


aTrueFool
03.19.2014 , 07:42 AM | #394
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
But the dark side is not more powerful so it is kinda pointless...
Actually the dark side should be more powerful.
Power is work over time, so if the dark side is quicker for the same result it must be more powerful.

Physics

AlrikFassbauer's Avatar


AlrikFassbauer
03.20.2014 , 03:46 AM | #395
Quote: Originally Posted by Avenox View Post
Every men born evil
Someone will try to be good as they can,
some other will dedicate their life
to the unholy lord of the earth
Others say it exactly the other way round.

For example the media bioas to always taint white with black so that it becomes grey,
but it is NEVER seen that black becomes tainted with white to become grey.

That's an obvious, although quite masked bias.
I'm a bad player.
I have no good reputation.
I never will.
Only bad reputation.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
03.20.2014 , 04:52 AM | #396
Quote: Originally Posted by aTrueFool View Post
Actually the dark side should be more powerful.
Power is work over time, so if the dark side is quicker for the same result it must be more powerful.

Physics
Lol /debate.

Kaedusz's Avatar


Kaedusz
03.20.2014 , 05:06 AM | #397
My characters make decisions based on what i picture my character would do from RP perspective and also sometimes what i would do.The fact that i end up in the Dark Side with virtually every character i have is not a consciously made decision.

Kaedusz's Avatar


Kaedusz
03.20.2014 , 05:08 AM | #398
Quote: Originally Posted by aTrueFool View Post
Actually the dark side should be more powerful.
Power is work over time, so if the dark side is quicker for the same result it must be more powerful.

Physics
This is wrong in all kinds of ways

iDraxter's Avatar


iDraxter
03.20.2014 , 05:59 AM | #399
Bounty Hunters available only in the Empire.

Isaacone's Avatar


Isaacone
03.20.2014 , 07:10 AM | #400
Because: The dark side has cookies