Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Jedi Knight vs Jedi Consular story (underrated?)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Jedi Knight vs Jedi Consular story (underrated?)

FabulousDoctor
03.17.2014 , 02:04 PM | #21
You're playing really wrong if you're somehow doing so little damage. No offence meant but... yeah. By tattooine my consular wasn't even overleveled and was killing standard sand people in one force pebble-throw.

Maybe you should get better gear?

DomiSotto
03.17.2014 , 02:19 PM | #22
I might, because I hear that in Chapter 2, the Flashpoints are story-related, so I would hate to miss that. I was lazy with gear side till now.

I don't think it is that bad, so far we didn't lose much content. I can kill standard difficulty enemies fast enough. But because I play character always side by side with a Jedi Knight of exact same level, I can see the difference.

As the character levels up, I will be able to use the suggested rotations, since most of them use the higher level spells in the sequences. I will need to start doing it anyway on the solo characters, since they do not have the group to fall back on.

eldefail
03.17.2014 , 04:34 PM | #23
You might consider asking for some rotation advice and whatnot in the consular or sage forums. However, if you simply do not enjoy the sage mechanics I imagine that's definitely putting a damper on the whole consular experience for you. Single player games like KOTOR and KOTOR II don't really need to be strictly balanced, but in an MMO the same old "I can heal and melt faces" thing doesn't work, what with it essentially being unfair to other classes and all. I loved consular gameplay in the old kotor games, but it's definitely a different experience in TOR, where it's a standard MMO mage or healer class.

I find it easy to solo as a sage, whether I'm specced for healing or damage. Perhaps you're not properly utilizing your abilities to their fullest? Definitely check out the consular/sage forums or google a sage/sorcerer gameplay guide. At the end of the day not everyone likes the standard MMO caster role, though, so if you just can't get into it maybe shadow would be more up your alley? It's hard to enjoy the story if you can't get into the character and don't enjoy playing it.

DomiSotto
03.18.2014 , 08:18 AM | #24
No, I think it is not so much that I am not utilizing my abilities, as that I play the role in a group of 4 characters. Jedi Knight (my Husband), Kira and Tharan. Being a Primary Healer with an occasional DPS rotation is what works for this party composition atm.

Honestly, it's not that bad, and by all that is posted, the story will build up, plus the companion choice is much more to my liking from this point on. So, my heart might change and my Zabrak in her white dress will move up to the favored category.

Ticara
03.18.2014 , 11:07 AM | #25
I dislike both stories because I find them terribly boring, incredibly clichéd and very much predictable. The voice acting (atleast for the male characters) doesn't help either.

eldefail
03.18.2014 , 03:29 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Ticara View Post
I dislike both stories because I find them terribly boring, incredibly clichéd and very much predictable. The voice acting (atleast for the male characters) doesn't help either.
I don't like the male voice acting for either class either. I do like the female voices though.

Kaedusz
03.18.2014 , 10:22 PM | #27
I would play a consular,because any Force User story is a big yes for me as long as it is set the Old Republic time and done by Bioware, but he is still the only class that i haven't started properly, for the following reasons:

I always play male, and i just can't stand the male consular's voice and manner of speaking.It makes me wanna destroy the screen.It makes want to torture puppies and eat babies.

He is just absolutely 100% tunnel visioned to be goody two shoes and gay(excuse the slang) and goofy.I am not talking about the story, i am strictly talking about the character himself.He gives me very,very bad vibes and i just can't stand him.I don't think i have ever hated a playable character so much in all my life.as much as i hate the male consular.

For now i will just save this class for when i get completely tired of all other classes,bordering on quitting the game(still haven't 2 years and counting),for a new refreshing experience with a female consular.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hmWCH3JXqU

this is the male consular.

Kain_Turinbar
03.19.2014 , 12:12 AM | #28
I actually liked the Consular story more than I thought I would after hearing all the ************ about it.

Sure, the Knight's is tough to beat; going on epic adventures and taking on the Emperor himself and all that is exactly what I signed up for.

However, becoming a powerful force user, forging alliances, and raising an army was pretty fun too.

Fazaani
03.19.2014 , 01:36 AM | #29
I also like the consular story. It is (as have said here before) very much kind of story that i expected consular to have. But ofc little more story of a sage than story of a shadow.

Lot of ppl like things active and sharp turns and suprises like agent story(which to me was too obious, "foilhat" and bit boring), but as diplomacy is big part of my own life consular was fun to play with both adv. classes.

Still to me, as a feeling only really satisfying rp ending was inquisitor (but ofc endings allways are hard to make...)
The Firkraag legacy
Firkraag, also known as Lord Jierdan Firkraag, was a red dragon living in the Windspear Hills in Amn and masquerading as a human noble.
Around since 2008

AlrikFassbauer
03.19.2014 , 07:14 AM | #30
Consulars can do so much more than this kind of missions shown in the class story - the story writers just didn't see them.

Just read the newspapers - it is not hard at all to imagine so much "secret diplomacy" going on the zthe background ... Like an Agent's story ... But no, the story writers chose to use the most cliché form of an "diplomacy" story available ...
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)