Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can't decide what class to pick :(

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
Can't decide what class to pick :(

BlobbMonster
12.20.2011 , 09:55 PM | #21
TBH just pick whatever looks cool, they are all good and all viable. I've seen a lot of people complaining about SW threat generation but, aside from the early levels, there really isn't an issue. Once you start getting your AoE abilities it is incredibly easy to keep aggro on all enemies. Haven't played too much with the other tank classes so I can't say much there, but personally I love the Juggernaut. The only real issue with them is that they take a while to mature into their full potential, early game is not as good as some of the other classes, but once you hit your mid 20s/early 30s they get awesome. Juggs are amazing in both PvP and PvE, and they have one of the best storylines if that is a big deal to you. Reading the Jugg forums I've noticed that a lot of people are complaning that they have too many abilities or are too complicated to play/manage rage, but I haven't had any problems there at all. If you've been tanking for 5 years I'm sure you can handle it.

Like I said though, all the tank classes are good and they are all fun. I played a trooper tank in beta and while it was alright, it felt kind of weird. A lot of his procs and other tank abilities were based on him being in melee range, but some of his other stuff requires him to be at distance to use. It's really weird, and just altogether I didn't like it very well. If I were you I would narrow it down to SW or SI.

The biggest con for Juggs IMO is that they don't have a whole lot of reliable CC, but it's enough to get the job done and works well in PvP for me.

To me, the assassin seems like more of an AoE off-tank while the SW is more of a single target tank, but from my experience SW does just fine in AoE situations. Haven't played an assassin so I can't say much about them.

signahead
12.20.2011 , 11:03 PM | #22
I'm not exactly sure if I can explain this, but I really like the "abandon" of the Vanguard tank. When you play ranged DPS in SWTOR (or every other game I can think of), you usually have to pace yourself to keep from pulling aggro off the tank. But with the Vanguard you ARE the tank. Blast away! You can't pull aggro off yourself. My Vanguard tank is still young, but so far that freedom is very appealing.

Ehxon
12.21.2011 , 10:54 PM | #23
of course for tanking from the sith class is the juggernaut. no questions warrior will always be the best tank its what theyre made for. rogues will always do more dps then warriors so playing warrior mar. is preference but not optimistic. bounty hunter can wear heavy armor but they cant play the role of sitting in one spot to keep the occupant off of the rest of the party. they are more mobile then anything

Canoftuna
12.22.2011 , 08:34 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Ehxon View Post
of course for tanking from the sith class is the juggernaut. no questions warrior will always be the best tank its what theyre made for. rogues will always do more dps then warriors so playing warrior mar. is preference but not optimistic. bounty hunter can wear heavy armor but they cant play the role of sitting in one spot to keep the occupant off of the rest of the party. they are more mobile then anything
If not trolling, this is really bad information.

Raytha
12.24.2011 , 11:28 AM | #25
Hello this seemed like the place to put this as for some reason I cant enter a title to start a new thread

I appologize if this has already been covered somewhere, but I am new to the forums.

I tanked for a number of years in wow and have always liked the roll. I am sure there are no direct comparisons between the classes in tor and wow but I'm curious if someone could draw some similarities between the games tanking classes.

Case in point I mostly tanked as a Feral Druid and a Prot Paladin. Are there classes in this game that have the same "feel" to them. Such as a high HP high avoidance tank (similar to a feral druid), or a strong AOE tank (similar to a pally).

Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray

Canoftuna
12.24.2011 , 09:28 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Raytha View Post
Hello this seemed like the place to put this as for some reason I cant enter a title to start a new thread

I appologize if this has already been covered somewhere, but I am new to the forums.

I tanked for a number of years in wow and have always liked the roll. I am sure there are no direct comparisons between the classes in tor and wow but I'm curious if someone could draw some similarities between the games tanking classes.

Case in point I mostly tanked as a Feral Druid and a Prot Paladin. Are there classes in this game that have the same "feel" to them. Such as a high HP high avoidance tank (similar to a feral druid), or a strong AOE tank (similar to a pally).

Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray
I haven't done any extensive practice with a lot of classes, but these are just my views based on what I've read and seen for myself. Also using the Sith side as reference.

Powertech feels a lot like a Feral Druid. You don't have a lightsaber so you can't parry, which just leaves you with dodge. However, Powertechs seem to have a higher chance to shield than the others because of it, as talents increase shield chance by a great deal, which is similar to Feral Druid Savage Defence. Feral Druids also (arguably) have the easiest aoe threat generation with swipe and thrash, to which Powertechs have flame sweep and the ever popular death from above, not to mention explosive dart if 3 enemies are near each other.

Assassins remind me of Death Knights, in the sense of self preservation. The tanking "stance" has a chance to automatically heal you when you attack, and there are at least 2 talents that allow other abilities to heal you as well. Of course you get stealth which isn't anything like a Death Knight, but I still see the self healing via attacking more akin to a Blood Death Knight.

Juggernaut is clearly the Warrior. Lack of real self healing like a Paladin, and it's more physical attacks with armour reduction abilities (i.e. sunder) and better single target threat than aoe. Also acquires Intercede and Endure Pain, which are damn close to copy/pasting Intervene and Last Stand respectively.

Again, these are just my views on this subject, not set in stone comparisons.