Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Red Reaper Beginning: Change it?

DaeHanMusa
03.16.2014 , 09:36 AM | #1
Hey folks, hope all is well.

I think I can safely say (for the majority) that the beginning of Red Reaper is ridiculous. On PUGs (sorry, please don't be dimissive about PUGs because they are not the issue), the beginning often results in people quitting or starting to "nitpick" for various reasons which some are justified and others are pure pretension. This is all due to consistent team or individual wipes.

When I compare the beginning mobs and the damage type of Red Reaper to the 4 Elites of the Mandalorian FP, I see a huge discrepancy. If anything, I could accept the 4 Elites mauling us, but not vice-versa.

With that said, is there any way to have the beginning "toned" down?

In the meantime, if anyone has consistent success in no "wipes" at the beginning, what are your tips?

Thanks in advance.

psandak
03.16.2014 , 09:47 AM | #2
I have to admit that Red Reaper is tough at the start.

Tips are basic:

#1 take your time: rushing in is the best way to wipe
#2 use CC: even a 3-second stun helps, not to mention the 8-second AOE stuns that a lot of classes have.
#3 watching your targeting: don't break CC prematurely
#4: follow the SOP weakest to strongest; once threat has been established on the strongest, even the tank should consider shifting to weaker mobs to get them dead quicker
#5: to cover 2-4 mark targets and specify kill order.
#6: pull stuff back: one of the biggest stumbling blocks is when you engage the first set of mobs another set comes running in. If you are sufficiently far away they don't agro.

fire-breath
03.16.2014 , 10:40 AM | #3
Gehe .... its a killer for sure. However it shouldn't be changed since its great learning tool imho.

Anyway what happens here is three fold.
1 - trash mobs fighing defenders
2 - trash mobs bugged so they are not visible
3 - spawn of many silver and normal mobs.

1 and 2 you should kill one by one. If a dps aggroes something focussing the npc defenders they will turn and rape the healer.
Point 3 starts whenever you enter the corridor. This happens often and useually is the cause of a wipe. Tank should pick then up asap.as hwaler or dps you can kite them around the shuttle
Progression raiding toons on the big RED
Zal'ssesse - Engi Sniper Srh - Shadow Tank

PugsloveHP - the 50k HP commando DPS/healer
R.I.P. Macewindy - Sab Slinger

Rithoma
03.17.2014 , 08:03 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
I have to admit that Red Reaper is tough at the start.

Tips are basic:

#1 take your time: rushing in is the best way to wipe
#2 use CC: even a 3-second stun helps, not to mention the 8-second AOE stuns that a lot of classes have.
#3 watching your targeting: don't break CC prematurely
#4: follow the SOP weakest to strongest; once threat has been established on the strongest, even the tank should consider shifting to weaker mobs to get them dead quicker
#5: to cover 2-4 mark targets and specify kill order.
#6: pull stuff back: one of the biggest stumbling blocks is when you engage the first set of mobs another set comes running in. If you are sufficiently far away they don't agro.
Pretty much this. Wipes at the beginning of the Red Reaper don't happen because it is too difficult, but because people feel invincible and want to rush through the FP in their "gogogogogo" style.

Just use your brain, your defensive cooldowns, CC and stuns and, more importantly, kill the group in front of the corrider before you enter the corridor. If you aggro both groups because someone runs ahead, you'll wipe. Unfortunately, a lot of gogogogo smashers don't get that and flashpoints like KDY won't solve this issue.