Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Laptop Hardware Q&A

Veilshatter
12.20.2011 , 04:36 PM | #1
I was asked to start a thread to help people out with Laptop Questions about Hardware. I will monitor it for a bit, but hopefully someone will be happy to take it over.
AMD 1100T X6 3.3 Ghz, 12 Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX 580 1.5 Gb GDDR5

JayneViken
12.22.2011 , 11:54 PM | #2
Hey I have an asus laptop and just recently my charger will shut off and stop suppling power to it and because so it will die. But when I leave it alone or go on the internet its fine and stay on. But as soon as the game launches it dies any ideas and it just started yesterday it hasn't been everytime till now.

Xerodotus
12.24.2011 , 08:43 PM | #3
All right, since my previous thread was close,

I've been having problems with my laptop for the past couple of days, and what I thought was originally problems with TOR actually ended up being problems with playing games on my notebook in general.

I keep it well ventilated with a deal that props it up and keeps it tilted. This prop also has two 120mm fans underneath it and I've never had a problem with playing games up until recently.

I've posted my dxdiag below

Spoiler

You may be thinking "He's got an old driver"

well yeah, and I've tried updating it with catalyst (after uninstalling both catalyst and my drivers several times in safe mode) but catalyst won't open because it always says the "host application" stops working. So I can't update my drivers. Again, this is with any game that I play. It will just completely shut itself down without any warning or reason.

I've played games that are more graphic heavy than TOR and have never had problems. I realize it isn't the game but rather it's on my end and after about a week of troubleshooting I'm ready to just reformat everything. Any help would be much appreciated.
"The force does not favor a side. The only thing separating you from sith is a matter of morality. In the end, we're all conduits of our conscious"
Xerodotus Jedi Knight - Neutral GoodMaravel Sith Marauder - Lawful Evil

Xerodotus
12.24.2011 , 08:54 PM | #4
bumppppppp
"The force does not favor a side. The only thing separating you from sith is a matter of morality. In the end, we're all conduits of our conscious"

Xerodotus
12.24.2011 , 09:19 PM | #5
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Starsunder
12.25.2011 , 03:16 PM | #6
Laptop stats are the same as desktop stats, pick one that meets the system requirements and you will be fine.

On that note, I run the game on an 3 year old Gateway FX laptop, was top of the line of course when I bought it. Which runs the game just fine. Not top of the chart on the specs. I turn shadows off, but it runs great.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/gate...-33496191.html
The Dark Hand
Casualcore PVE Raiding Guild | Giradda the Hutt Server

Monsterpoptart
12.25.2011 , 03:17 PM | #7
So i was looking at getting a new laptop for this game, and a friend recommended me http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230134 . Will it run the game smoothly?

Starsunder
12.25.2011 , 03:18 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Xerodotus View Post
All right, since my previous thread was close,

I've been having problems with my laptop for the past couple of days, and what I thought was originally problems with TOR actually ended up being problems with playing games on my notebook in general.

I keep it well ventilated with a deal that props it up and keeps it tilted. This prop also has two 120mm fans underneath it and I've never had a problem with playing games up until recently.

I've posted my dxdiag below

Spoiler

You may be thinking "He's got an old driver"

well yeah, and I've tried updating it with catalyst (after uninstalling both catalyst and my drivers several times in safe mode) but catalyst won't open because it always says the "host application" stops working. So I can't update my drivers. Again, this is with any game that I play. It will just completely shut itself down without any warning or reason.

I've played games that are more graphic heavy than TOR and have never had problems. I realize it isn't the game but rather it's on my end and after about a week of troubleshooting I'm ready to just reformat everything. Any help would be much appreciated.

Completely remove the video drivers and install the latest ones.

Also try using this update from Microsoft for Direct X

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en..._121LSUS007776
The Dark Hand
Casualcore PVE Raiding Guild | Giradda the Hutt Server

Gazzzenn
12.25.2011 , 03:23 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Starsunder View Post
Laptop stats are the same as desktop stats, pick one that meets the system requirements and you will be fine.

On that note, I run the game on an 3 year old Gateway FX laptop, was top of the line of course when I bought it. Which runs the game just fine. Not top of the chart on the specs. I turn shadows off, but it runs great.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/gate...-33496191.html
no they are not, do not spread false information like that.

a laptop i7 is not even close to comparable to the desktop i7.

a graphics card that has m after the model name is about 40-50% less effective at it's job as it's desktop counterpart.

want me to go on? do not spread false information that leads people to thinking the laptop spec is the same as a desktop spec.

as to the error trying to install the graphics drivers, go to my computer, properties, tools, check disk, run(tick both boxes) restart the machine and let it run, often it can resolve any dll issues or other issues with your os that your having.

will 7 times out of 10 resolve that problem, not always but again it's one step to take and if that doesn't help there are other things to try but as an end user thats the basic one to start with, afterwards hit up the seven forums for some tips.

NeoMeta
12.25.2011 , 04:10 PM | #10
Can anyone recommend a good laptop need to run the game