Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

suggestions from a beta player

AmagonofBloodfin
03.12.2014 , 05:33 PM | #1
  • remove the notion of pvp/pve gear. remove expertise.
  • make all BIS cores (armoring, barrels, etc...) craft-able and customize-able. also make stats actually mean things, give reasons for alacrity and accuracy to be wanted, break the power/surge stigma.
  • develop new content based around independent arcs, keep the underline galaxy wide content pure and void of large scale group content (operations). this would allow operations to be infinitely scale-able and relevant even years from now.
  • develop larger operations that are never the same. I like the iteration with the new KDY but continue and expand this three maybe four fold per boss from here on out in all operations. keep them challenging and changing. also don't just throw us at new raids via load screens, use our personal starships to get us to new operations as a team progressing through space combat to our final objective - possibly even guild capital ship combat with role based combat from a single vessel.
  • change current loot table from gear drops to schematic drops. operations schematics for appearance shells of weapons/armor/gear would be BOP with trade window for people involved in the operation success - and then infinitely craft-able. The way I view this, you can already carry people through for the achievement + gear why not let them just sell the appearance anyways.
  • make new shell schematics from world based pvp, ranked pvp (with rank needed to equip), and warzone pvp.
  • simplify and consolidate the crafting UI and make it remember settings of what "schematics" were open last even when the window is closed, or you log off.
  • invest in territory control via pvp either in space or on the ground.
  • invest in open world space. this is the biggest opportunity for this game. I thank you for you efforts with the rail shooter and GSF but that's not cutting it. We need to be able to fly to planets from our ships and load in and fly around the space stations etc...
  • remodel all the spaceports and stations, we all see your lazy designs. there aren't even that many planets shake them up and break the mold of uniformity.
  • invest in a new personal ship, move us from light corvettes to actual corvettes. with this you could bring infinitely customiz-able ships, based on modular designs which would house a much larger crew compliment as well as your personal companions. could possibly be expanded into corvette class pvp where your crew and it's training are important to your ships functions. etc. etc.
  • stop my companions from appearing out of no where, and make two person vehicles or companion vehicles a thing.
  • stop my companions from feeling like bank terminals, they don't move around my ships... WHY NOT?! also the current ships do not have adequate living quarters for the current companion compliment, new ships (see above) could solve this as well.
  • make my ship enter-able from the spaceports, I should not click the door to my ship and then take off and be sitting off the planet looking at the planet i just left, this would probably need to be changed with an open world space system. I also go to my ship for many reasons, I don't always want to leave the planet.
  • implement standard UI remembering systems for multiple setups and abilities.
  • high resolution package for people who can utilize the technology.
  • tone down the mexican fiesta coloring system and remove the current dye system in favor of a new pallette system.
  • remove some of the sinkholes from crafting/modifying. 10k credits to modify my own armor? get out of here. if anything add this as a slicing skills to modify/augment armor/weapons/etc.
  • stop re-skinning really old armors and hire an art team. seriously stop.
  • add a physical modification to the appearance for classes with offhands that are not currently visible. ex; make BHs have some sort of jetpack and troopers get a backback, all different based on the one equipped but with all the same functionality..

I will continue to add as I think.

AmagonofBloodfin
03.13.2014 , 12:51 PM | #2
updated.

OrionLives
03.13.2014 , 01:01 PM | #3
All of these I see absolutely no problem with. You have excellent suggestions and if there were a way I knew of to make these a priority then I would have done it by now. Everything below is awesome. Good job Sr. Please continue to add.
Suggestions:
- Toggle hood and more specific GUI interfaces. IE. Guilds, and Flashpoint (seperate from) Operation panels.
60Maddelyn - Sentinel of KOTOR!V
"Do or do not, there is no try." - Master Yoda

GatorAndy
03.13.2014 , 01:07 PM | #4
Quote:
make all BIS cores (armoring, barrels, etc...) craft-able and customize-able. also make stats actually mean things, give reasons for alacrity and accuracy to be wanted, break the power/surge stigma.
First of all, I'm not sure what you mean by making a "core" or mod "customizable".

Secondly, no. BIS gear should never become craftable. One level below is good.

Thirdly, accuracy is already absolutely necessary for dps. They made that change quite a few patches ago (2.4 or so?). Alacrity maybe not as much, but especially as a healer, it is preferred to have some alacrity.

Quote:
tone down the mexican fiesta coloring system and remove the current dye system in favor of a new pallette system.
I don't see them changing the color dye system, as it would immediately cause an uproar for anyone who already spent lots of credits (or even worse, direct-buy with CCs) on a rare color combination. Also, a pallette system, while better on paper, doesn't allow the monetization and expansion of the current dye system. While as a player, that may suck, it's the reality of this continuing to be a commercially successful/profitable game.

I would like to see them changing so that each piece of armor actually has 3 slots for dyes instead, and having primary/secondary/tertiary dye slots, and then individual color dyes which can be placed in any of the three slots. But, it could also allow you to place a "combo" dye into the primary slot. Some armors have "tertiary" colors which are actually the most prevalent color on them. (I'm looking at you, Imperial Containment Officer) These colors are not currently even accessible to the dye system.

I like a lot of your other ideas, even if many of them are probably not going to happen in the game for a very long time, if at all.

AmagonofBloodfin
03.13.2014 , 01:20 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by GatorAndy View Post
First of all, I'm not sure what you mean by making a "core" or mod "customizable".

Secondly, no. BIS gear should never become craftable. One level below is good.

Thirdly, accuracy is already absolutely necessary for dps. They made that change quite a few patches ago (2.4 or so?). Alacrity maybe not as much, but especially as a healer, it is preferred to have some alacrity.
what I mean by cores being mod-able is say you wanted your armoring to have more or less power. you could set thresholds or ratios within the crafting process to tweak the power levels up and the other stats down etc instead of the flat values that are given now.

The problem with BIS gear coming from content like operations means you have create content only for it to become worthless or nearly so within a year. It also creates a 'grind' which I personally hate, I just got here to the end game I'd like to enjoy myself and do the content I like rather than having to grind x amount of warzones or flashpoints to be competitive. Think about the way pvp works now, there is a massive difference in the effectiveness of someone who just hit 55 and someone with full obroan let alone pre-mades in full obroan.

If you change that philosophy and create content that can stand on it's own and provide enjoyment not just for the current end game players but for players of all levels by providing rewards such as appearance shells rather than the best gear in the game then there is always a viable reason to do SnV, Karragas years from now when their item gear levels are (as it stands now) utterly worthless.

There really is no reason to argue against making everyone equal as soon as they hit 55. It get's more people into content faster and provides them with a lot more to do rather than being forced to grind after they just finished level grinding.

accuracy is important for some dps classes but from everything I've read you are still better off min/maxing for power/surge than anything else.

GatorAndy
03.13.2014 , 01:45 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by AmagonofBloodfin View Post
what I mean by cores being mod-able is say you wanted your armoring to have more or less power. you could set thresholds or ratios within the crafting process to tweak the power levels up and the other stats down etc instead of the flat values that are given now.

The problem with BIS gear coming from content like operations means you have create content only for it to become worthless or nearly so within a year. It also creates a 'grind' which I personally hate, I just got here to the end game I'd like to enjoy myself and do the content I like rather than having to grind x amount of warzones or flashpoints to be competitive. Think about the way pvp works now, there is a massive difference in the effectiveness of someone who just hit 55 and someone with full obroan let alone pre-mades in full obroan.

If you change that philosophy and create content that can stand on it's own and provide enjoyment not just for the current end game players but for players of all levels by providing rewards such as appearance shells rather than the best gear in the game then there is always a viable reason to do SnV, Karragas years from now when their item gear levels are (as it stands now) utterly worthless.

There really is no reason to argue against making everyone equal as soon as they hit 55. It get's more people into content faster and provides them with a lot more to do rather than being forced to grind after they just finished level grinding.

accuracy is important for some dps classes but from everything I've read you are still better off min/maxing for power/surge than anything else.

I think being able to tweak the mods to that level of detail makes it too tedious a job to gear up. There would still be a BIS way to craft the mod, making all other combinations useless to create. They already have regular, A and B versions of mods, and enhancements have same stats of different balances based on a naming structure.

As for the gear, although the mods inside the gear may no longer be even close to BIS, the shells are still going to be specific to that operation. (assuming Dread Forged gear stays as the drops inside DF and DP) Even if the highest level mods were craftable, just as the second-highest do now, it would take rare crafting mats which drop from the operations to craft them, or else be quite cost-prohibitive to purchase a full set from the GTN.

On top of that, the reason to do the old ops (which would have been done a million times by some) would be the same reason I still run EV/KP/EC with my guild on occasion now: nostalgia. If you want the gear shells from the operation as you propose, you would still only run it as many times as it takes you to get the shells, then you move on and don't go back, except, as I said, for nostalgia.

As a new 55, you're not as far from competitive in PVP, gear-wise, as you might be thinking. Bolster actually somewhat levels the playing field. Now, if someone is in full Obroan gear, they've obviously spent a lot of time pvping, and their skill level is probably a bit higher than the fresh 55. As a solo-queuer in a pug going against a full pre-made, I assure you, gear is not going to make a lick of difference versus people used to working together using voice chat.

I'm not sure what guide you're reading, but tech/force accuracy always needs to be at, or very close to, 110% for dps. (melee/ranged at 100%) This is based on PVE, maybe in PVP accuracy is not as necessary, but I still think you need it so as not to have too many misses on your attacks.

AmagonofBloodfin
03.13.2014 , 02:27 PM | #7
I think being able to tweak the mods to that level of detail makes it too tedious a job to gear up. There would still be a BIS way to craft the mod, making all other combinations useless to create. They already have regular, A and B versions of mods, and enhancements have same stats of different balances based on a naming structure.

As for the gear, although the mods inside the gear may no longer be even close to BIS, the shells are still going to be specific to that operation. (assuming Dread Forged gear stays as the drops inside DF and DP) Even if the highest level mods were craftable, just as the second-highest do now, it would take rare crafting mats which drop from the operations to craft them, or else be quite cost-prohibitive to purchase a full set from the GTN.
I guess what I was trying to go for was different play styles rather than just the usual power/surge. I contest that they should also not require the crafting materials from Operations. I personally will probably never to do most of the content on Nightmare, and I understand those are hard - so make unique shells, unique drops but imo just because my playstyle preference doesn't lend me to operations to me doesn't mean those players who prefer that should get better gear. That's totally my opinion but I think if at 55 everyone was on an even playing field it would open up the game a lot more for people, especially newer players.

On top of that, the reason to do the old ops (which would have been done a million times by some) would be the same reason I still run EV/KP/EC with my guild on occasion now: nostalgia. If you want the gear shells from the operation as you propose, you would still only run it as many times as it takes you to get the shells, then you move on and don't go back, except, as I said, for nostalgia.
Well along with the other suggestion I had, where content is always changing from here on out you might be able to add new portions to existing operations which would keep them current and keep their rewards changing.

As a new 55, you're not as far from competitive in PVP, gear-wise, as you might be thinking. Bolster actually somewhat levels the playing field. Now, if someone is in full Obroan gear, they've obviously spent a lot of time pvping, and their skill level is probably a bit higher than the fresh 55. As a solo-queuer in a pug going against a full pre-made, I assure you, gear is not going to make a lick of difference versus people used to working together using voice chat.
My thought behind this comment is that you are considering that the fresh 55 hasn't spent it's entire leveling process pvping and may actually have several mains with which I pvp on and as someone who has a full obroan vanguard dps, and a fresh pt dps the difference is quite significant. I average about 2-300k less on my fresh even though I know the class backwards and forwards. We've all see the 5-7 30k HP clearly geared team whip the crap out of the 26k collective teams - it happens all the time, that needs to change imo.

Sometime there certainly are better teams, but shouldn't that be strictly determined by skill rather than skill + actual advantage to stats? I think so.

I'm not sure what guide you're reading, but tech/force accuracy always needs to be at, or very close to, 110% for dps. (melee/ranged at 100%) This is based on PVE, maybe in PVP accuracy is not as necessary, but I still think you need it so as not to have too many misses on your attacks.
I believe this is different for pvp. I will need to check but I think it is...

GatorAndy
03.13.2014 , 02:50 PM | #8
The argument for alternate paths to obtain BIS gear has been made before, and the counter-argument, which I agree with, is that if you're not doing the hardest content, you don't actually need BIS gear. Also, pretty-darn-close-to-BIS is achievable by earning ultimate comms. Admittedly, hard to come by without doing some ops. But, still technically possible.

Adding content to old operations can be problematic, as they are all wrapped up, story-wise. I feel the game would be better served by adding a new operation if they wanted to further explore a previous operation's setting. For instance, I'd like to see the S&V setting explored in more detail.
Spoiler

On pvp, I'm nowhere near an expert, but I have read a lot on the forums, and know that if you have higher than blue 66 pve gear, you actually reduce the effects of bolster. (changing in 2.7, I believe) So that could play a roll in your comparison between your Vanguard and PT.

The role of gear vs skill in pvp is an interesting argument as well. I think I'm probably on the same side as you, in that I think skill should matter more than gear. However, pvpers also deserve something to show for playing their favorite part of the game, and boosts to their playstyle seems "only fair."

AmagonofBloodfin
03.13.2014 , 03:18 PM | #9
The argument for alternate paths to obtain BIS gear has been made before, and the counter-argument, which I agree with, is that if you're not doing the hardest content, you don't actually need BIS gear. Also, pretty-darn-close-to-BIS is achievable by earning ultimate comms. Admittedly, hard to come by without doing some ops. But, still technically possible.
I guess I can see the logic that if you aren't doing the most difficult content you don't need it but then if everyone was all equal it really wouldn't matter anyways. Should PvE not follow PvP and be based more on skill rather than gear. I think if gear walls were no longer a thing you would see more people participate on a more frequent basis simply because there is nothing keeping them out.

Adding content to old operations can be problematic, as they are all wrapped up, story-wise. I feel the game would be better served by adding a new operation if they wanted to further explore a previous operation's setting. For instance, I'd like to see the S&V setting explored in more detail.
Spoiler
I think my thought process here would be for Operations here on out to be developed on their own arcs such that going back and updating or expanding them would not cause undue stress on storylines.

On pvp, I'm nowhere near an expert, but I have read a lot on the forums, and know that if you have higher than blue 66 pve gear, you actually reduce the effects of bolster. (changing in 2.7, I believe) So that could play a roll in your comparison between your Vanguard and PT.
I am getting full bolster right now with 58 blues and it's still pretty significant. To me though the matter becomes much more evident when you have teams of obroan/conq vs fresh and that happens quite a lot it seems, so why not just even the field and let skill take the win.

The role of gear vs skill in pvp is an interesting argument as well. I think I'm probably on the same side as you, in that I think skill should matter more than gear. However, pvpers also deserve something to show for playing their favorite part of the game, and boosts to their playstyle seems "only fair."
I think both top tier pve and pvp deserve unique rewards only attainable through their content, but why not let player skill be more important and let exclusive loot or appearance schematics, titles and achievements be the reward.

theUndead
03.13.2014 , 05:36 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by AmagonofBloodfin View Post
I guess I can see the logic that if you aren't doing the most difficult content you don't need it but then if everyone was all equal it really wouldn't matter anyways. Should PvE not follow PvP and be based more on skill rather than gear. I think if gear walls were no longer a thing you would see more people participate on a more frequent basis simply because there is nothing keeping them out.

I think my thought process here would be for Operations here on out to be developed on their own arcs such that going back and updating or expanding them would not cause undue stress on storylines.

I am getting full bolster right now with 58 blues and it's still pretty significant. To me though the matter becomes much more evident when you have teams of obroan/conq vs fresh and that happens quite a lot it seems, so why not just even the field and let skill take the win.

I think both top tier pve and pvp deserve unique rewards only attainable through their content, but why not let player skill be more important and let exclusive loot or appearance schematics, titles and achievements be the reward.
I will just respond to this post with this. PvE and PvP are both gear grinds and although this is a old formula for aaa mmos it is the road this game has taken. As such, it is simply impossible to base content on skill only. I say this because gear and loot offer incentives and people are used to min maxing their gear in preparation for the next tier.

Should it be different maybe, but the fact is, is that it is a system that is here to stay. As another poster said because you do not raid you do not need the gear. Now for me, I have always advocated that raiding remain as is, however in terms of the wide variety of playstyles yours included, I think that if new stand alone content for soloist were released it would close the gap somewhat.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.