Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Jedi Knight vs Jedi Consular story (underrated?)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Jedi Knight vs Jedi Consular story (underrated?)

ImmortalLowlife
03.13.2014 , 09:09 AM | #11
I've played both, and like them both for different reasons. The JK is essentially the "chosen one" And the JC is the diplomat who's been specifically trained for "aggressive negotiations" Lol. I'm actually replaying both classes now as a female character to see the differences. But I enjoyed the majority of both stories.
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

Server: The Shadowlands/ Guild~The Elite Imperial Guard & Order of the Light~

DomiSotto
03.13.2014 , 10:47 AM | #12
I am progressing through Chapter 1, and there are 3 things I do not like about the Consular class. I would have abandoned it if I did not play as a party.

1. The most important thing is that the actually very emotionally charged story is downplayed. Everyone is like:Oh, you are a tad pale.... no ability to show the angst, the crew railing around the PC in the awesome KOTOR2 style... just a touch peaky. Heck, even my Rajivari blade is called... a lightsaber. That was like the best part so far!

The Jedi Knight I am paired with gets heroic Whoo-HOOS!!! You ROCKSSSS! OUR HERO!!!! Every time he enters the story area. A Sage? Not so much (Well, good job. Do you want to lie down?). Also, a story is kind of easy to guess at the moment everyone starts telling you how Jedi Master #3 is soooo charismatic.

2. Voicing. Holy cow, can she sound a wee bit more trilling? There is no normal sounding women who do voice-acting who can sound sincere delivering the "I shall go on with the Sacrifices, Good Masters." dialogues? Argh. The texts are bland, can we at least have a better delivery? An alternative voice-pack? ANYTHING?

3. Qyzen. Gods, how can anyone possibly have conceived to stick any PC with Qyzen for the entire endless Taris with Bonus Series? Add a nice neutral companion on the Fleet?

Actually, four things!

4. Iresso? Really? With Tharan and Zenith coming on board earlier? You gotta be kidding me! Is it REALLY that hard to poll females in the community before picking the least interesting male as a RI? And a marriage material RI for a Consular for that matter? At the very least, an overlay where this old shoe soldier doesn't look a day over eighteen?

VitalityPrime
03.13.2014 , 11:52 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
3. Qyzen. Gods, how can anyone possibly have conceived to stick any PC with Qyzen for the entire endless Taris with Bonus Series? Add a nice neutral companion on the Fleet?
Haha...I feel for you.

After playing through some of the Inquisitor story and seeing videos of the Consular story...the Consular really got the low end of the stick with Qyzen. Khem is bad*** and really makes the Inq story great...but Qyzen is almost bad enough to make me never want to play a Consular.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no fear, there is power. I am the heart of the force. I am the revealing fire of light. I am the mystery of darkness, in balance with chaos and harmony...immortal in the force.

DomiSotto
03.13.2014 , 12:21 PM | #14
Play as a group. You get the partner's companion. Kira is COOL. Riggs is amusing. Aric is not much of a trade-up. Well, at least he yells at someone else. But it gets better. Qyzen is the worst, but the rest of the crew is pretty good. Too bad one can't do the Tython to Nar-Shaddaa express.

ImmortalLowlife
03.13.2014 , 02:51 PM | #15
Ohh I've already decided Qyzen will be spending ALL his time gathering. I've unlocked hk-51 to take his place lol
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

Server: The Shadowlands/ Guild~The Elite Imperial Guard & Order of the Light~

RowanThursday
03.14.2014 , 03:37 PM | #16
Played both, as a Sentinel and a Shadow. It's mixed. The Knight I feel has the better companions in general- although my ideal mix would be T-7, Kira, Tharan, Scourge, and Nadia, to be honest, out of the Jedi companions.

Story and voice-acting-wise, I prefer the (female) Consular to the female Knight. The Consular story feels more involved, more intellectual- the Knight does great deeds, but is, essentially, Satele Shan's Weapon. No different to being Darth Baras' or the Emperor's enforcer on the Imperial equivalent, Satele is just nicer about it. The Consular's victory feels more her *own*, and like she's her own agent, rather than slotting into place in a legend. The voice acting has a wonderful air of intelligent snark to it- check out the Esseles run, if you don't want to go *too* far into a Consular to see what I mean, her "*I* make the decisions, not *you*, Ambassador" snarkdown to Asara at one point is wonderfully voiced, and her playful joking with Kilran later "If this is a bad time..." - when the Grand Moff is actually pleasantly surprised at the banter- shows just how much the accusations of "bland and non-emotional" are failing to look beyond the surface.

The Jedi Consular has a great *deal* of depth to her performance, she just doesn't feel the need to wear a big hat with "I am having an EMOTION" printed on it, each time she has one.
"Next time you come to a rough choice in the dark, and think to yourself 'No one's gonna know'... imagine you've got yourself a mirror and hold it up, think like you're lookin' in the glass. That's who's gonna know."
-- Captain Melody January of the Freighter Hestia's Dawn.

eldefail
03.17.2014 , 03:00 AM | #17
I love the jedi consular. I'm playing through it for the THIRD TIME!

Most people I've talked to who dislike it tend to dislike the overall lack of polish to the consular story. It's undeniable. Try playing a dark side consular and you'll see what I mean. The continuity errors are egregious. There really isn't much flexibility, you're pigeonholed into being a good guy despite your best efforts to the contrary. Play the class "as intended" and it's a great story. Try to deviate significantly (which I have tried) and it's no surprise why some people walk away from the Consular story feeling underwhelmed and disappointed.

The voice acting in general, male or female, of any class is underwhelming and unimpressive when the story starts. The actors, I presume, were getting a "feel" for their respective characters. But bland and emotionless? Absolutely not, at least not the female voice. I personally love the female voice acting, I love Qyzen (one of my favorite companions game-wide, up there with Vette), I love the downplayed behind-the-scenes heroics.

DomiSotto
03.17.2014 , 10:50 AM | #18
Esseles was the only Flashpoint we managed to play. I am afraid I was too busy not dying there (NOT AGAIN!) to appreciate the voice acting. Maybe I just don't like the high voice, I am not sure. I am glad you folks are enjoying it. I can't say I noticed sophistication in her responses. Even as opposite to cleverness. Be that as it may, out of 4 characters I have played any length so far, I've liked the Consular the least. I do play LG, very rarely making DS choices.

It was interesting to see how Masters change before and after healing, but the character herself... I don't know.

It could be a function of only seeing half of her content due to perma-grouping. It could be that the game play is not particularly engaging so far, mostly watching three other character health bars for rotating Force Armor and Deliverance with an odd sequence of project/WM/FS/TT thrown in, and rarely having a chance to even take the Lightsabre out... and the spell damage is almost inconsequential (and yes, I understand why). I have just gotten a couple of slightly heavier spells, but don't think they are anything special.

Fresh after KOTOR 2 run (I have been on a gaming hiatus since ~ 2007) I couldn't wait to play a Jedi again (and I played a Consular, and yes, the Exile healed AND did enough damage), but I am much more enjoying the shooters in this game, particular the Smuggler (her animations are very entertaining) and it seems like a great deal went into making Sith appealing as well (holy cow, SW is flashy). I wish we could at least have something like the antagonist in the last KOTOR 2 battle, animating and throwing multiple LS. There is no shortage of those in the game...

One more thing - the story so far did not supply me with any NPC provoking a strong emotional response. In other stories, I have seen characters I either cared for or hated, but in Consular, none so far. Vivicar remained behind the scene, so he is not as much in your face as Skavak or Barras. Yuon had very brief presence, unlike the other first bosses (I loved how SW solves the First Boss quest, for example). I might have cared for Atros, but he disappeared fast.

Funnily, so far Holiday was the most interesting and human aspect of the story, but I gather she is not going to have any cool backstory & I am not allowed to talk to her w/o Tharan. They are the saving grace in Chapter 1 for me. I've got nearly interested in the Taooine lag of the story, but it got cut short. I have high hopes for Alderaan. Alderaan has to be interesting with the diplomacy story arc. Fingers crossed!

YoshiRaphElan
03.17.2014 , 11:55 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
.It could be that the game play is not particularly engaging so far, mostly watching three other character health bars for rotating Force Armor and Deliverance with an odd sequence of project/WM/FS/TT thrown in, and rarely having a chance to even take the Lightsabre out... and the spell damage is almost inconsequential (and yes, I understand why). I have just gotten a couple of slightly heavier spells, but don't think they are anything special.
I'm sorry, what? As a healer Sage, I can kill pretty much any enemy with Disturbance > Throw > Project > Mind Crush > Heal Qyzen > Disturbance, and that's a strong or elite enemy. A regular enemy I can kill with Disturbance > Throw and occasionally add in a Project, and a weak usually dies with one Disturbance, or at least the Throw that follows it.

DomiSotto
03.17.2014 , 01:15 PM | #20
That's not my experience. I don't really count the easy mobs/class stories (though we do visit), we just split and wipe out for legacy counts.

But once I encounter the harder characters, the damage the spells do is in the 200-500 range (when the Knight or a shooter dishes 800+). On a lightsaber stroke, the damage is barely 200. I am fairly over-leveled (start a planet a 2-4 levels higher than the opening range), but for example, Tharan and my Consular had to just hang in there for a while, not being able to dish out enough damage to a pair of Sandpeople one of which was healing another (a complete impasse, Tharan and Consular were doing exactly the same) until my husband's Knight and Kira were done slicing. Then they came over, and killed the Sandpeople in two strokes of a lightsaber. Obi Wan didn't shy away from the saber, if I recall

By whatever reason, even wearing the same gear, my husband's Knight always had much higher defense rating than Qyzen, probably game mechanics. That's same thing is true for other heavy armor characters, actually.

I do prefer Tharan and Holiday, because it allows us to deal with one enemy at a time, not to mention the looks and the personality appeal & they definitely fit better with out party configuration, each fighter gets a healer and a buffer.

That's said, my husband's Knight and Kira die without our backup. Heroic 2+ are easy (well, when overlevelled, yes), but Heroic 4+ are undoable for us 9we've just tried one on Tatooine BS before leaving for Alderaan, and it was a no-go, despite us being good 5 levels over the announced rating. Dunno how people do it). We also couldn't win a flashpoint (but that's partially graphics). We do not chase down the expensive gear, crafting and exchanging commendations for blue mods, and filling the rest of them with green mods, I am sure that would help and all, but well, we are not that invested.